+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th Episode? August 9

Re: 4th Episode? August 9

I agree with elimination this week. I was shocked that Jany went but I agree with why. I thought for sure it would have been Lonni.

Vern was very upset... never seen him so upset before. I think he just lost it and they probably got rid of Tashika that way for drama purposes. I could be wrong.

I like Dan, Antonio, and Tori. BUT I have only seen Antonio do construction. I need to see more "design" from him in terms of picking out the colors and decorations and such. I got to see Tori and Dan's design more than Antonio's. I like Nathan but he doesn't have enough confidence and he doesn't know how to make his voice known in a group/team. I think once he shows his confidence and once he makes his voice known and becomes a leader he will be awsome!

OH yeah...forgot to mention... I like Dan would have gotten more done without having Tashika with him during construction. That part of the show really showed me how little she knew and how little she actually "does". If it weren't for that I think he would have finished sooner and been able to do some other stuff. Still trying to figure out why they decided not to buy a garage door. I would have bought it and not so much "decorations".

I think the double elimination episode was a really good idea. I don't think either designer will be missed much. I am surprised that Nathan was in the bottom two of the second elimination; I was under impression that Dan and Nathan were the two strongest designers there.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I was surprised, too; but I think it had to do with the wall graphic as their only decoration and he owned it. All three were frowning over it. The winners for seaons 1 and 3 were artists and maybe this year they are looking for some other type to host a show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

In reality, it was truly time for Tasheka to go, but the way Vern did it was rude. In Tasheka defense, it's kind of hard to contribute when your team just tuned you out. I felt bad for her when nobody wanted to be on her team. High School gym class all over again. Lonnie (aka Cup Lady) should be the next to go as well, because her ideas are not that great IMOP. She dosen't have that wow factor. I like the lady from Houston...still thinking about that carpet from the last challenge. I was glad that the other lady went home, because her style is far too predictable.

Can't wait for next week.

I just posted in the Tashika thread. Didn't realize we had this one going.
    It was very mean of the judges to get rid of her like that. I felt it was totally unprofesssional. I expected more from this team of judges.
    While I understood the judges' point about Jany's designs being too textbook, I felt the bigger problem was how she tried to throw Torie under the bus. There really was no need for that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I am hoping they don't go for another "I have a flair for decorating" type. I also don't especially want another artist, "color expert", architect or "stager". This is Design Star. You should have to have schooling in interior design or if not at least have worked exclusively in interior design for several years to be in this competition. Interior Design is a select profession in the decorative arts which requires knowledge of codes, color theory, space planning proportion and balance and rhythm. I really don't get why they are not looking for that person but rather someone with a quirky personality and whacky rooms. I'm tired of that on HGTV and other stations. I agree with the girl that got eliminated, textbook design is important and she wasn't about doing outrageous whacky rooms, thank goodness!!! There are enough of those shows on with homemade furniture that they make in a half hour and half do stain and finish on. I wouldn't want that in my home. They don't really have a show on for the household who wants to go and purchase the finest furnishings they can afford and put them together in a beautiful timeless way. I really hate the way all the rooms today look like a shopping spree at Pottery Barn and all the bathrooms look like the local fake Zen inspired spa. Done to death already. Why aren't they going to design centers to the trade only such as in DCOTA (Design Center of the Americas) in Miami or ADAC (Atlanta Decorative Arts Center) in Atlanta or since they are in Los Angeles they have a design center to the trade only as well. One show that I am enjoying is" Room Service" it's on the Fine Living network. The hostess has no on air charisma but she is very good at what she does, I love her rooms and I always learn something about design and why she does what she does. That makes up for a lot for those who are a serious aficionado of interior design and want to be a student of it. Sigh....oh well. I guess maybe they know who their audience is and think that going for the unconventional is the way to go but I do wish they had something different on. I used to love Chris Madden's show when she was on back in the early days. I even like that guy Christopher Lowell but his rooms are so overdone. I also think that often times Candice Olsen's rooms are so done up but they are always really well done. She's the top designer on the station I think. I don't always like her stuff but I always appreciate it.

It seems like this year they do have some actual interior designers. Lonnie is one and so are some of the others, I believe.
    I do agree that there's far too much design on this station that is just for shock value, it seems. I far prefer buying tasteful pieces that tend more towar the timeless side. Trendy furniture usually seems to go the way of trendy clothing in a very short time.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

I tend to agree with you Tobi. I think they must have to take in a few "carpenter" type people so there will be somebody to build all the stuff that needs to be built. Do "real" designers have to take carpentry/furniture building classes? It makes you wonder what kind of show they would have if they literally had no one that knew how to build anything! It'd be pretty funny in my opinion since most of these designers depend on having custom built pieces. When I watch a design show on HGTV I want to see something that I can do...and I can't build a huge wall unit or multi-level flooring!

Why oh why did they not get a new garage door since that was such a major request from the couple? Didn't they say that the door wouldn't even close properly or lock or something?? And who would want to have to duck down and basically crawl into the room??

And I don't get the whole garage re-do thing. That must be something that can only be done in certain parts of the country...basically California, I guess, as there was no mention of any type of heating/cooling/ventilation. What do you do...just open the garage door and sit around watching TV? That would not work in Mississippi, I can tell you that! We would probably only get to enjoy it about 2 weeks out of the year. If we enclose a garage here the door is usually taken down, the opening is walled up, and it's incorporated into the house...but then again we don't have many free standing garages down here. That just seemed like such an odd competition to me.

Does anyone else thing Lonni just looks frazzled and worn out?

Kao

I think one of the reasons why they kept Taschica around for so long is because she has that special *something* that makes you want to watch her. She's engaging, fun, and a natural host. If you were to line all of those people up and just have them talk (without looking at anything else, like talent) Taschica is the one that I would want to see more of (with the tatooed guy a close second).

With all that said, you can only skate by with a weak skillset and BS for so long. Last week's white room challenge is traditionally the week when designers get to show off 'what they can do" Taschica chose to do what a designer did (and better) two seasons before. That would have been okay had she done some risks with it and made it really special... but she didn't even implement it right AND it was sloppy (which infuriated Vern). I think the judges geniunely liked her as a person and really, really wanted her to snap out of it and show them something to continue to justify having her on the show...and while I think there was a LOT of truth to what Taschica was saying about her co workers blowing off her ideas, making it seem like she had more input in things than what she did and that sealed her doom. The judges were getting two different stories, so they had one of the production people (who goes over every inch of film and edits the show) come in and clarify some issues. So he gave Clive the go-ahead to cancel her. I felt very badly for her, but at that point, I think the judges were DONE.

I think Taschika is still pretty green about some things, but ultimately will find her footing. Unfortunately, thanks to her performance on the show she would be one of the LAST people I would want doing anything to any of my rooms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast