+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Third episode - 8/03/09

Re: Third episode - 8/03/09

What I don't understand about Lonnie, the lady whose glued clear plastic glasses kept falling down, why didn't she use a nail gun and nail the glasses to the wall? After all Dan and Tashica used nails on their apples.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;3633942;
    To be fair, she wasn't the only one that was sloppy. The guy with the wheat color room, those squares on the wall were not even and the camera showed it, but the judges didn't commit about it. Tashica room wasn't bad and I kind of like the sofa. I just think she is way over her head, as well as the girl that got sent home, and the wheat color room guy.
    You could tell that his were supposed to be a bit crooked as opposed to Tashica's which were supposed to be super straight.

Seriously, I wish T had gone over the top with the Garden of Eden theme. I mean if she had done one or two massive graphics of leaves on the walls and then covered the sofa totally with artichoke leaves to create a texture like Lonni sorta did with one of the lamp shade. I mean you could have gone to town using lettuce leaves etc... to decorate the room.

Ger

I missed the show last night and now have to catch it on a re run.
    Am so mad at myself for missing it since I really like this show.

At least they run the shows a few times so I will catch it. At least I hope I don't miss the repeats of this show.

Looks like I missed a good one !!!

Yeah! My top two guys came through big time! I loved Dan's salute to Oregon with the wood and the fruit (I know he said a deconstructed apple orchard - but) with his "lumberman" look at the judging you could see he is from the northwest. Maybe that little bit of primer in the milk Nathan dripped helped it not stink. His walls reminded me of David Bromstad's lastest phase in paint technique - dripping from the top. I loved both their color schemes and the orange slice chandelier was outrageously wonderful. I loved that Genevieve (?) picked up on what Dan said about his room during the challenge - that it looks more expensive than $1000. And I liked that Nathan's first idea was the chandelier and he built his room around that. I also liked Tori's graphic salute to new trends and loved her use of color.

I guess the new blue tape I've seen advertised recently wasn't available during the show's production. It is supposed to be fool proof for clean edges - in other words paint doesn't bleed under the edges. There is also a medium I've seen highlighted on a couple of the HGTV shows that you use over the tape edges which also blocks seepage. Anyway, maybe Tasica doesn't pull it off straight, or something and smears it. She should have gone instead of Jen - whose color schemes haven't translated to the cool medium of television - and not just for bad tape lines but for imitation (which I think she lied about until she was called out). Whatever, I just want her gone.

Poor Lonnie - interesting idea with the plastic cups - but would it have made up for a bland room? I am glad, though, that they gave her a pass this week. Antonio, our overly confident alpha male this season, over-thought his design and really, it was the dimensional striping. Other than the white couch and tables, anything else in the room would be superfluous. He shot himself in the foot with that one. Other guy from Florida (name blank - Jason?) has been too cocky the first three shows about his designs and has been shot down twice when he had more of a direct hand (the taxidermy bedroom and now, the lemon room.) He seems like a matter of time guy, along with Tasica and Lonnie.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I went back and watched the season preview at the beginning of the first show and I see that Antonio does a child's bedroom so he goes to the Final 3? when each does an individual space for a family? Next week is a garage make-over (should be either hilarious or dreadfully hilarious) with the Kathy Griffith guest room coming down the road.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Ger;3633967;
    I missed the show last night and now have to catch it on a re run.
    Am so mad at myself for missing it since I really like this show.

At least they run the shows a few times so I will catch it. At least I hope I don't miss the repeats of this show.

Looks like I missed a good one !!!
    Go to TV Guide online and click on the show. A popup appears, then click on program times at the bottom of the popup and it will show the times the episode are rerun during the week. I totally love that feature on the TV Guide website.

BTW totally luv the change up of the judges, couldn't stand the ones that are now gone. The 2 new ladies are doing a good job and seem to interact well with Vern.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-03-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Antonio and Tori went up a few notches in my book by helping out Lonnie at the end. I was glad neither one went home. I hated how Lonnie could not get those cups to stay on the wall and wondered why she didn't use nails either, unless they would split.

I absolutely hated the colors in some of their rooms, ugh.

I agree that the top 3 were absolutely correct.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Hasn't the winner or top designs (since they don't seem to be declaring winners yet this year) usually end up in the final three or two? Jennifer won the challenge last year, Todd won the year before that and, I think, David either won (was this the pet store challenge - which he did win) or was close to the top.

I would say, this year in particular, it looks like the three most creative (at least with money and time constraints) appear to be Dan, Tori and Nathan. I hope none of the three shoot themselves in the foot in coming episodes.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3633969;

I guess the new blue tape I've seen advertised recently wasn't available during the show's production. It is supposed to be fool proof for clean edges - in other words paint doesn't bleed under the edges. There is also a medium I've seen highlighted on a couple of the HGTV shows that you use over the tape edges which also blocks seepage. Anyway, maybe Tasica doesn't pull it off straight, or something and smears it. She should have gone instead of Jen - whose color schemes haven't translated to the cool medium of television - and not just for bad tape lines but for imitation (which I think she lied about until she was called out). Whatever, I just want her gone.
    I know when I did my office I painted using blocks of color and no matter how you go over the tape edges there was seepage. I did eventually use a medium that I got from the art store and painted over the edges and that really made a big difference. Also the seepage I got without using the medium was in no way as bad as the mess Taschica made. That is either rushing the job or just being sloppy or careless.

Ger

THANK YOU BEAR

I just went to the TV GUIDE on line and found the times the show will be repeated so marked them down.

FORT Newbie

Dan definitely rocked the challenge last night. That room was awesome!

Tashica's was awful! There's no excuse for lines THAT bad! Seems like she would've learned her lesson from the floor she screwed up on the first episode. Painters tape is not her friend!

Jen's was awful, too. It was a close race in my mind between her and Tashica as to who should go. I have a feeling the judges comment in the previews was directed at Tachica. When Jen first was talking about the Asian food packaging I thought that was going to be a really cool idea but you barely noticed it on the tables. I thought she was going to do a big art project with it on the wall or something.

The thing I don't get with Lonni and some of the other's. They KNEW this project was coming so it seems like they should've had a fairly good idea in their heads as to what the basic design was going to be...although they don't know what the "supplies" will be. Even though her cups didn't work there really wasn't anything else of substance in the room. It's like she focused every bit of her attention to the cup wall which I don't think would've really looked all that impressive if it had stuck on there (as Arielflies mentioned above).

I love how Tori's black graphic went across the couch and up the wall and into the wall design. Very cool. We definitely have 3 really good frontrunners.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast