+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Episode - 7/26

Re: Second Episode - 7/26

Definite looks of astonishment when Tashika (?) walked in ... bottom 2 the first two episodes, and most of your team says your name when asked who should go. Should have been a no-brainer.

I was really irritated when I saw the "before" kitchens. They blew my sad little kitchen right outta the water even before they got a makeover. Please come and do my kitchen. Really.

I like Antonio for some reason, he does get stuck doing most of the grunt work and I'd be hacked off too. That's one reason I hate the 'teams' challenges, one person has the "skill set" and the others walk around acting busy or running to the store. And btw, why did they not have cellphones?? That would have come in handy when the two left to go shopping and Antonio needed to get some hardware to install stuff.

Tashika was a bull in a china cabinet. Felt bad for her but there it was. She could have placed at least some of the stuff she bought on the counters ... and why didn't they clean as they went? The most humiliating thing ... "We had to send in the fixit crew to clean up your disaster."
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3617153;
    I am so glad someone else saw the buddha. I could not figure that one out. Personally I thought Tashika should have been cancelled. By the looks on the faces when she walked into the sitting room, the others thought she should have also.
    The buddha was actually in the room when they came - it was something the HO wanted to keep.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Ok, I missed the buddha in the first place. I could not figure it out. Thank you
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3617302;
    Definite looks of astonishment when Tashika (?) walked in ... bottom 2 the first two episodes, and most of your team says your name when asked who should go. Should have been a no-brainer.

Tashika was a bull in a china cabinet. Felt bad for her but there it was. She could have placed at least some of the stuff she bought on the counters ... and why didn't they clean as they went? The most humiliating thing ... "We had to send in the fixit crew to clean up your disaster."
    Wasn't she the clumsy ofe who broke the home owner's wine bottles all over the floor? Why wasn't that brought up at judging panel? If I was the HO I would be so pizzed off, especially if it was expensive wine.

I was totally shocked that she didn't get sent home after two weeks of lousy performance on group tasks. She is just lucky that this next week challenge is a solo project, no one would want to pick her to be on their team. It should be interesting to see how the others interact with her, they all seemed stunned and/or mad that she is still there.

Also why wasn't un-finished tile lady up for elimiation as well?

in a way I'd like to see more of the judging deliberations...maybe that will help me figure out the why...probably not.

I honestly didn't think about the cell phone thing...wonder why they didn't have...hum.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3617136;
    I would prefer they give them another day so that there is time to do the job right and actually scrutinize the design rather than the workmanship.
    I'm with you. I know this isn't a novel or unique thought, but I'm so over seeing what people come up with under terrible conditions. It's interesting once in a while, but if what you're looking for is a talented designer or a talented chef or a talented fashion designer, who really cares if they can throw together some marginally acceptable room/dish/outfit made out of two pillows and a folding chair/three ingredients, one of which is rice krispies/tube top scraps, a bandana and what can be pulled out of a dog's brush.

I like watching them work within the constraints of a monetary budget--I find some of their dollar-stretching techniques to be useful and inventive--but I definitely take issue with the false time constraints.

Though now that I think of it, I always liked what Vern did on Trading Spaces, and he was short on both time and budget. So maybe there really is an element of talent that can be discerned from these things? Bah, beats me.

I've watched both shows though posting for the first time. Am I burned out with this? And yes, the kitchen project should be given at least three full days. Thank goodness they had professionals come in overnight to do the counter tops and floors. And thank goodness the "HGTV Clean Up crew was on standby.

I shook my head at Amy having only one man on the team, especially with all the heavy lifting and demolition. And then, to top it off, he had to comfort her through her breakdown...the guy is a saint, I tell you.

Well we have our Macho Guy this season - Antonio (?) the set designer with the NY attitude. After last week's dining room, I really began to like Nathan, but this week, Macho Guy wanted to pound him into the ground. I'm glad they left in the part where Nathan fought back saying..."I wish I had the same skill set you do, but I don't!" Anyway, confrontations have been set up.

I was sure Tashika was going home because her edit showed one indecisive blunder after another...including missing on leveling the cabinets and not taking measurements which threw off the counter top measurements...not to mention destroying a homeowner's bottle of wine because she was trying to hurry and carry too much at once, and returning too late with the accessories. The whole team was weak, but she is the one who brought them down. With her leader, Amy, gone this week, I can only hope that her white wall project (items from the grocery) will be a "stinking" disaster and she goes home next week.

Final Note: I really like the judging this year. All employed by the network, all accomplished designers and all are opinionated. Did I read or hear Clive state somewhere that the judging for the living quarters challenge took up to seven hour? No wonder the girl who left made the statement in the green room while they waited that she learned more from the judges than she had in two years of design school. WOW.

Looking forward to the WHITE ROOM Challenge. Usually my favorite of the show. Looks like they get to design for Kathy Griffith (Hollywood) this year as well. Last year it was Wayne Newton (Nashville.) We'll see how that goes.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I was surprised, too, that Tashica was saved for 2 weeks. I guess it was because Amy really was responsible for the finished product - like it or not. I do hope that Tashica starts improving as there is something appealing aboiut her. Of course, I don't have to work with her, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

[QUOTE=Amanda;3617916;]I'm with you. I know this isn't a novel or unique thought, but I'm so over seeing what people come up with under terrible conditions. It's interesting once in a while, but if what you're looking for is a talented designer or a talented chef or a talented fashion designer, who really cares if they can throw together some marginally acceptable

I could not agree with you more. I'm sick of seeing what you can do in a hurry and with just whatever you could find. What is that? Also, no designer would install kitchen cabinets and bring in refrigerators. You wouldn't have to hire installers, the place you buy them from puts them in ditto for the appliances. I've been in interior design for years and I've never had to install tile, kitchen cabinets, appliances. The granite supplier would do the measuring and template, installation and seams. All of this is unrealistic. I've had to get down and dirty and move furniture and paint, sew, haul heavy things around but nothing in a kitchen.

I like to watch to see what design they can come up with and how it would look in the end. Chastising of the contestants for not doing or finishing things they have no expertise or experience with is ridiculous and a waste of time. Was it fair that tiny women were to install kitchen cabinets and appliances? Would a homeowner want them to? Would it void the warranties? I too was completely surprised that not even one accessory was in the kitchen. What was she doing all that time? Even one little something would have been a distraction and added a focal point. I wish they would show the kitchen now that it's finished so we could at least see the design concept and how it turned out.
    Last edited by Tobi; 07-27-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: sp.

[QUOTE=hepcat;3617136;]I would prefer they give them another day so that there is time to do the job right and actually scrutinize the design rather than the workmanship. I don't consider installing granite countertops to be a DIY job - even HGTV designers have a crew to back them up for that kind of task. It would have been more interesting to see the finished, polished product for both teams.

If HGTV had installed a vinyl backsplash in my kitchen I'd be kind of ticked.

Oh yeah, and why was there a Buddha in a "Moroccan/Italian fusion"?[/QUOTE]

My sister and I were wondering the same thing. The kitchen had too much stuff going on with it. I don't think the homeowner really liked it. I think she was just being nice for the camera. I bet if you go back, half of the stuff was removed....especially from the windowsill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast