+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NataLee Callahan

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

NataLee Callahan

NataLee Callahan

Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah

Education: Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism from Brigham Young University

Current Job: Interior decorator

Why I should win HGTV Design Star:
    This is my ultimate dream job. I have been trying to prepare myself for this incredible opportunity for a long time. I want to be able to use the talents I have been blessed with to bless others' lives. After all, isn't that what life is all about? Hopefully along the way I can put a smile on a lot of people's faces, too.

Describe your design style in four words.
    Transitional, fun, comfortable and unexpected

Who is your design icon?
    Candice Olson

What is your dream design project?
    I would like to design a playroom in a children's hospital with a budget large enough to do a really good job. Hopefully it would be a place where a sick child would feel really happy, laugh a lot and focus on getting better.

Where do you get your inspiration?
    Inspiration can come from the most unexpected places. I have gained inspiration from a necklace to a bowl to a shirt. Whatever has colors, patterns and textures that speak to you is inspiration.

When designing, what can't you live without?
    My camera and measuring tape

What are your most creative hours of the day?
    The most creative time for me is when I am trying to sleep at night. My mind won't shut down and let me sleep because the wheels in my mind are spinning.

What do you think is the worst design trend?
    A design trend I didnít love was mauve or forest-green carpet and pickled oak cabinets from the '90s.

What's one thing about you that would surprise people?
    I think it would surprise people to know that I've had heart surgery.

Where's the farthest you've ever traveled from home?
    I traveled to Belgium and Hungary with my dance group a little over 10 years ago where we performed for large audiences and on their national TV stations. It was a great experience.

What's your guilty pleasure?
    I like something sweet everyday.

What's your most unusual talent?
    I am a clogger. It's one of the types of dances we performed in Europe.

What word/phrase do you say way too often?
    "So." I asked my husband and he immediately said, "so." So, apparently I say "so" a lot!

When I was a kid, I thought I would be:
    A famous singer/actress.

Who's your hero?
    My 95-year-old grandma who is still a spit fire. She's done a lot of good in her lifetime.

What's your fashion style?
    Young, hip and fun

Favorites
    Color: Teal
    Scent: Coconut and vanilla
    Music: I love music, everything from rock to rap to country to Broadway. No reggae or jazz for me, please. My guilty pleasure is Eminem.
    Song: "What About Now?" by Daughtry
    Food: Sushi
    Magazine: Better Homes and Gardens
    Movie: Twilight
    TV Show: Anything on HGTV and American Idol
    Room in your house: Living room
    Room to design: Bedrooms
    Thing in your home: Framed picture of my husband and me with a poem he wrote me.
    Hobbies: Besides decorating, spending time with my family, singing, dancing, violin, movies, friends and traveling
    Vacation desttionina: Anywhere with palm trees, warm weather and saltwater
    HGTV show: Divine Design, Designed to Sell, Deserving Design and Color Splash
    Design tip: Learn how to sew. It can save you "sew" much money.

Design Star : Design Star Designers : Home & Garden Television
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: NataLee Callahan

Hoping to see good things from her. Love that her grandmother is her hero (who wouldn't love a 95 year old spitfire?). Favorite scent . . . . love coconut. Inspiration strikes when you are trying to sleep . . . . been there, done that. Eats sweets everyday!

Slightly envious that she can "clog". I can't, but I love to watch anybody dance.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She strikes me as kind of "pagent-y" in her answers, and that can wear thin. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. One again, great shoes!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hate that she didn't get to really show off her designs/work. Would have liked to see what she really could have done given more time.

+ Reply to Thread