+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dan Vickery

FORT Fogey

Re: Dan Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3684616;
    Miss_G,

I saw the promo, as well and thought the exact same thing.
    As I had not seen GG's show in a while, I did catch it the other day and I wanted to make sure I was not just being overly critical of her.
    No, I don't think I was. It was yet another extremely non stellar design.
    I am surprised to see Genevieve on this show; or more accurately, I'm surprised to see Candace Olson on this show. Now THAT is a designer. LOVE HER!

I get Vern since he's been around for along time. I can see he and Candance in th same circles - but not GG. Many of the contestants have been critiqued for producing design 101 spaces, but GG was queen of these during here stint on Trading Spaces.

While her designs are nice and pretty and probably "balance a room" the way a room should be, she is neither innovative nor inspiring.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3691066;
    I am surprised to see Genevieve on this show; or more accurately, I'm surprised to see Candace Olson on this show. Now THAT is a designer. LOVE HER!

I get Vern since he's been around for along time. I can see he and Candance in th same circles - but not GG. Many of the contestants have been critiqued for producing design 101 spaces, but GG was queen of these during here stint on Trading Spaces.

While her designs are nice and pretty and probably "balance a room" the way a room should be, she is neither innovative nor inspiring.
    I would like to see what Genevieve does outside of the ridiculously tight budget of Trading Spaces. That show limited all of them but I do agree that she did not stand out. Laurie and Vern were able to make a mark in our minds and show they were skilled.

Candace is head and shoulders above Vern. Above anyone on TV along with Debbie Travis.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3687960;
    I would let Dan come to my backyard and take his shirt off...no complaining at all
    Ditto....He could come in my backyard shirtless and sit and have a nice cool drink, AND I'd pay him big bucks too!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3692070;
    I would like to see what Genevieve does outside of the ridiculously tight budget of Trading Spaces. That show limited all of them but I do agree that she did not stand out. Laurie and Vern were able to make a mark in our minds and show they were skilled.

Candace is head and shoulders above Vern. Above anyone on TV along with Debbie Travis.
    If you like high end design, then go with Candice all the way. One thing she's made popular is chandeliers everywhere. LOL Genevieve placed one in a bedroom repeat I saw last evening, but it looked to be right over their heads. David's show last night also used a chandelier in a bedroom makeover, but it was funky eclectic and in the middle of the room, not threatening the bed occupants.

I think Dan might take his show along the lines of Carter Oosterhaus...green, eco remodels - which is the IN thing right now. All the shows are currently using that concept and educating about it as they go...even Designed to Sell. So, there is a chance that Dan might meet HGTV criteria for their philosophical direction.

There is a preview up on the website and Clive says their is a clue at the end of it that shows who wins and goes home. It isn't blatant, but both Dan and Antonio are smiling on the podium, while Lonnis isn't...I don't know if that is the clue, but whatever, it doesn't hit you in the face.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Regular

Personally, I wouldn't take the design services of GG, Candy, or Vern free of charge. I think all three are mediocre designers especial GG and Candy. Vern might be good enough for a freebie, but I sure wouldn't pay him. Now David

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Congrats to Dan on making the Final Two.

This rarely ever happens . . . . my chosen favorite still in the competition when it comes down to the wire.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3692070;

Genevieve has her own show now, which I assume has a decent budget, and her designs are still very average. She would never be able to win Design Star if she were a contestant.

As for Dan, I think he could learn to be a good host, but I suspect that the judges are going to choose Antonio. I think they like his personality and the fact that he's so different from the average HGTV host.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

If that happens, David B will be disappointed. According to his vlog, he thought Lonnie should have stayed and Antonio gone home last week.

I would be interested to see what Antonio could do with a show...would there be a lot of builds? I think Dan (as I've said earlier) would go the green design route. The thing is, Carter Can is already a green show and other remodel shows highlight green elements, so how would his show be fresh?

Jennifer's show Paint Over is a combo of David B, Color Splash, and Vern Yip, Deserving Design. Will either of these guys be able to bring anything new/different to the table?

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I know the outcome has already been decided, but is it too late to wish Dan "Good Luck"?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Ah, Dan. You have shown yourself to be a terrific designer, but those darn cameras get in the way. While you presented in a calmer (talk to the camera) way, it couldn't compete with Antonio's over the top comedic shtick.

At least you now have new presentations you can present to clients as well as the cache of being the Design Star runner-up.

Best of Luck in all you endeavors.

+ Reply to Thread