+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Ballatore

Re: Antonio Ballatore

I, too, watched it and I didn't like that it was set up as a four day challenge. Once again there were a lot of worker bees while Antonio shopped. His style is not my style, but I liked his dog; and we got to meet people he respects for the putting together his vision. It was kind of like watching the shows Chopper and LA Ink rolled together and I do not have common ground or interest with either subculture.

I did like discovering that he comes from a family of artists. Instead of a TV over the fireplace, he hung a piece of his father's art. He also had photo prints a friend had just published and placed them in the bedroom to offset the deep red wall with the featured airbrushed headboard of Tequila Girl or whatever he called that blown up piece of male fantasized calendar art.

His banter was as it was on the show - brash and at times, soft; but, as he did on the show, he also made a comment to the camera about wondering if he could date the sales woman at the furniture store. I don't think that woman or many other women will be joining him under the watchful eyes of Tequila Girl...at least not when they see her in all her glory. Yes, he was once again sexist, but he may very well be a draw to the testosterone crowd who don't like girlified design shows...that is, if marketing can draw them in from other channels when his show debuts in January.

He had an open concept room with the kitchen, which he turned into a U to a dining area to a living area. I found his black and chrome kitchen different, and no furniture in the living room section interesting, and the very long destressed wood table interesting, and most interesting, the near match of the king's throne chair (family heirloom) and the queen's throne chair. It was fascinating that he could find such a close match in an LA antique store. Those were the only chair seating in the entire room as he used bench seating for the table and included a 5' sideboard to hold his liquor bottles - once again an item too small for the room.

I didn't think I would do a critique, but I guess I am still hot and cold about his personality and design style. I'll give his show a chance when it debuts, but I'll watch Dan's show on the web for cleansing.

Oh, they showed snippets from the show and both of their families arrived during the last challenge. They showed them around the house and shared a meal.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Congratulations to Antonio, however I liked Dan's work better. People have said that they thought that Antonio was funny....yeah....he was so funny that I forgot to laugh.

The final win should have gone to Dan.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I watched part of it but ended turning it off and going to bed. If it is on rerun I might check out the ending to see the kitchen. I just found in boring and all the tattoos a distraction. His hosting skills still need a lot of work. And I thought the headboard was god-awful. The kitchen did look like it had some promise, and the dining room table could work.

Still, the show did not engage me. I rarely turn off one of these shows. I might give his regular show a try.

I liked when he was sitting at the table in the house during the competition with his family, Dan and Dan's family, and he said that Dan ALWAYS has time to do his hair.

I enjoyed Antonio's TV special. Would I want my house done like that? No way! The bedroom - especially absolutely not. But I thought it was creative and interesting to watch - when have you ever seen airbrushed furniture on HGTV before? It was indeed like the interior of a 70s van.

I did love the reclaimed wood table, it was gorgeous, and I also liked the stools that could be raised and lowered to be used low at the table or higher at the bar - those are ideas I might implement at my house. The antique thrones were not my thing, but again interesting to see and entertaining.

There's nothing wrong with watching a show that might contain a few ideas you would consider implementing and others that are over the top. He brings some personality and flavor, and yes, he's different from the standard HGTV drones. You guys are being really hard on him!

One of his female guests at his party made me do a double take...at first I thought it was Danielle from David B's show, then I realized she was a double (face-wise) for Sombrero Girl. I wonder if any of his guests commented on the likeness? I still like his dog, Chewy (Chewbaca).

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3707649;
    There's nothing wrong with watching a show that might contain a few ideas you would consider implementing and others that are over the top. He brings some personality and flavor, and yes, he's different from the standard HGTV drones. You guys are being really hard on him!
    I liked elements of the show and one or two design elements interesting, but I honestly did find that it dragged on and found my attention wandering. Maybe I expected more personality? I watch shows that are over-the-top and not my style and enjoy them. His show reminded me of the one where Clinton (of What Not To Wear) did his own house. But I liked that one better.

I have to admit I watch HGTV, Food Network and other shows for entertainment value only. I don't watch them for ideas on what to do in my house or cook. Maybe I'm too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by peachroses;3707356;
    I am watching his show now..... and yes, I will finish because I want to see the result, but I will not watch him again..... he is an arrogant, sexist, jerk....very very full of himself..... and I still don't see any design talent for the normal person anywhere. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt... Agh... what a waste of tv......
    I couldn't agree with you more! I really wanted to give him a chance but I thought that the show was a big waste of my time. I would rather turn off the TV and stare at the wall for an hour than watch him again. Oh well and least I tried.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;3707941;
    I couldn't agree with you more! I really wanted to give him a chance but I thought that the show was a big waste of my time. I would rather turn off the TV and stare at the wall for an hour than watch him again. Oh well and least I tried.
    I'd give him another chance. Part of it was the four-day (or was it five) challenge format perhaps. I didn't like the show much either, but it was a special. I don't know what he regular show will be like. I turned it off before the reveal, so I feel I should give him another chance. I am such a softy.

And as a previous poster said, it was cool to find out he comes from a family of artists. And the dog was cute.

I thought I was watching "Pimp my Ride"....

LOL, or maybe Unique Whips? Maybe that's why I was more tolerant than you guys of the whole thing, I've spent many hours watching car shows thanks to my hubs. :-)

Also, on giving him another chance, yes, it was his first show! Remember how awkward the first episodes of Seinfeld were until things gelled? I guess we'll have to wait and see what the actual format of his show is, if he really does get a show that is....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast