+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock

Thread: 8/22 Show Discussion Thread

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

8/22 Show Discussion Thread

IMO, Carrie did not deserve to go home last night. She was not the worst member on her team and certainly not worse than Tommy. I think Elise should have been put on the block and sent home for serving raw bass, dropping the fish, and because of the bad attitude she's shown pretty much from the beginning. Plus, she had the worst dessert at the challenge last week. She clearly doesn't have the chops to win the competition and her bullying is affecting everyone she works with. Tommy isn't a whole lot better than Elise. How many times can this guy screw up dinner service before they decide to get rid of him??

The one good thing to come from last night's episode was we got a funny quote that could be used for the tagline of the Hell's Kitchen subforum. At the blind taste test, Jennifer said "Chef Ramsay put nuts in my mouth". That made me lol!!

BTW, I think they should do the blind test taste to qualify for the show or on the first episode to weed out contestants with no palate. How can they tell if their dish tastes ok if their palate is impaired?
    AZChristian likes this.

Re: 8/22 Show Discussion Thread

I agree on the blind taste test to make this show for sure. I mean... seriously, there are distinct differences between cod and lobster (cod has light taste, especially fresh, while lobster is sweeter), carrots and radishes (carrots are sweet, radishes have bitterness) and a few others. Creme Fraische may be a bit sour, but sour cream is thicker and a bit more sour. And Cheddar Cheese seen as parmesan? I mean... parmesan is DRIER, crumblier and has a distinct taste while cheddar is slightly tart, but smoother. Parm is also NOT regularly served in cubes - it is usually shaved or grated. (Some gourmet stores here the exception - I've sampled parmesan in small blocks).

I think the two reasons why these people do so poorly on the test are a. a majority of them smoke, so of course it's going to screw up their paletes and b. They are missing the sight of the food. People can easily recognize a lot of that food by sight, and hence why some such as I will have cravings for tomatoes and fresh mozzarella for example.

Carrie I felt was rightfully pissed - to a point - when Ramsay said it was wrong on the hard boiled egg. The egg yolk IS hard boiled. That said, I think he said it was wrong more because he practically FED her the answer with "Egg WHAT?" Common thinking would be to automatically say egg white or egg yolk, and given that the yolk has a taste and is creamy while white is very springy and smooth on the tongue, she should've said yolk.

Not surprised Carrie was ousted, but think Elise's attitude should've had her packing first. Natalie's was a forgone conclusion IMHO when they eliminated Carrie over Elise then when Elise was up again. I think save it being someone who has been relatively consistent (Jennifer, Elizabeth, Will in the kitchen), Elise will probably win out over the rest of them in a head-to-head. That said, I honestly think Ramsay is being told to keep Elise, and I think that it bodes poorly for this show.

I was no fan of Christian's mind you, but I find his skills MUCH BETTER than I do Elise's, and therefore will say that at least Masterchef contestant Christian can back up what he says.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I think the two reasons why these people do so poorly on the test are a. a majority of them smoke, so of course it's going to screw up their paletes and b. They are missing the sight of the food. People can easily recognize a lot of that food by sight, and hence why some such as I will have cravings for tomatoes and fresh mozzarella for example.

I was no fan of Christian's mind you, but I find his skills MUCH BETTER than I do Elise's, and therefore will say that at least Masterchef contestant Christian can back up what he says.
    I think everyone on Masterchef would be better then what we have here!

As for the food, yes smoking does dull the tastebuds plus there is a big correlation with sight and taste.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I can't see one person left--or who was on for the entire season--who's capable of being head chef at an upscale restaurant. At this point, I also have no doubt but that Elise is being kept around for the drama. Carrie (that's the woman on the blue team, right?) was specifically moved to the blue team for her skills. Yes, she had a bad service, but she's not been nearly as bad as Elise over the course of the show, and her attitude's been a lot better--and let's face it, the guys may well have put her up there because she was the only woman on their team. Tommy has been much, much worse and should not still be there any more than Elise should be.

If Ramsey doesn't tell the production donkeys to f### off, he's going to end up with a final two of Tommy and Elise, and the show's going to be canceled. And rightfully so.

By the way, does Tommy remind anyone else of the creepy roommate Chandler had on Friends after Joey moved out because he got the job on Days of Our Lives?

Tilden, Natalie was moved to the blue team. The women DID vote to have Casey move over to the blue team in hopes to stop the drama, but Ramsay overruled them. I personally think this is one reason for such an abysmal season. (That said, I can't fault Ramsay here entirely - he does have to deal with the producers of the show in his votes).

Tommy reminds me of a surfer who had a drinking binge, and in his drunken stupor thought he was a Bollywood dancer and had lace tatooed on his head. I don't know what the tatoo is close up, but it sure looks like some sort of lace.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Tommy reminds me of a surfer who had a drinking binge, and in his drunken stupor thought he was a Bollywood dancer and had lace tatooed on his head. I don't know what the tatoo is close up, but it sure looks like some sort of lace.
    I think on the first show of the season, Tommy said it was "Rock & Roll" tattooed on his forehead. Ramsey made some kind of comment about, "And I'm supposed to take you seriously with Rock & Roll on your forehead?"

Jennifer really came into her own this week.

The previews were hysterical - Carrie and Elise's fighting awakens a sleeping giant. Then Jennifer sits up in bed. "MMMmmrrrrrOOOOAR." We must've replayed that a dozen times. This week's episode didn't quite live up to that!

I agree that none of the contestants are up to the task of executive chef. Any of the top 12 from MasterChef would be more capable. I initially hoped Natalie would be able to pull off the win, but that doesn't look likely now. Paul seems like a possibility? He could be flying under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I can't see one person left--or who was on for the entire season--who's capable of being head chef at an upscale restaurant. At this point, I also have no doubt but that Elise is being kept around for the drama. Carrie (that's the woman on the blue team, right?) was specifically moved to the blue team for her skills. Yes, she had a bad service, but she's not been nearly as bad as Elise over the course of the show, and her attitude's been a lot better--and let's face it, the guys may well have put her up there because she was the only woman on their team. Tommy has been much, much worse and should not still be there any more than Elise should be.
    It was Natalie, and there was no way she should have gone home. Elise had better watch out. Now the blue team will be gunning for her, too.

Speaking of which, has anybody else admired the Blue Team for the last few episodes? I mean, even when they lost challenges, they still took it in stride. They found ways to laugh at it and remain a team, rather than tear each other apart blaming each other. It's been so refreshing. Next to Jennifer (the only sane member of the Red Team), I hope a Blue wins (Tommy being the obvious exception, although Ramsay would deserve it for keeping him around that long).

If Ramsey doesn't tell the production donkeys to f### off, he's going to end up with a final two of Tommy and Elise, and the show's going to be canceled. And rightfully so.
    I would watch that just for the laughs. It would be the best episode of the season. Again, Ramsay would get what he deserved for keeping these two clowns around that long.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Can you imagine the restaurant styles and menus that those two would come up with? It might be worth watching just to see that.

+ Reply to Thread