+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food in HK--Easy to Prepare?

Food in HK--Easy to Prepare?

Then scallop-gate breaks out. Melissa cannot produce scallops for Robís salad and actually cooks every scallop in the kitchen without getting a single one right. They end up using rock shrimp to complete the salad orders. On the red team, Nona also has issues cooking scallops, leaving the one diner at the chefís table who was foolish enough to order scallops in Hellís Kitchen without any food. Ramsay roars about the rawness, and Trev takes over to fire some properly. Seriously, I think production is messing with the scallops. I cooked them for the first time two years ago and they came out perfectly; it isnít difficult. I swear production throws them in the freezer before the show films.

From PhoneGrrrrl's excellent summary of last week's episodes. I thought it was hilarious.

That got me to thinking. Has anybody else prepared scallops? Or risotto? Or anything else in HK that you think should be fairly easy?

As for me, I don't like cooking that much, so when I started watching this show a few seasons ago, I had to look up "risotto" in the dictionary.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Re: Food in HK--Easy to Prepare?

That got me to thinking. Has anybody else prepared ... risotto?
    I make risotto all the time. It's easy; I don't understand how anyone with even elementary cooking experience can goof it up.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Yeah, risotto's easy. You'd think these contestants would have at watched at least a couple of previous episodes of the show and would spend a little time mastering risotto, Beef Wellington, and John Dory (have they had that yet this season?).

A lot of the contestants have a problem with seasoning - but with so many smokers, it's no wonder. I think I could probably do well on the desserts and the sides -- anything but the meat and fish.

Gauging the doneness of meat or fish can be tricky. With fish, the time difference from raw in the middle to cooked to overdone can be just a couple of minutes. I'm pretty good at gauging the doneness of a steak by touch, but I don't know how you'd test the doneness of a Wellington without a thermometer. (I'm sure they have some kind of chart like rare cooks for 18 min, med rare for 22, etc., but that doesn't always work out).

I guess they don't let the contestants use thermometers because then there wouldn't be all the raw chicken is going to kill the customers drama, but there would still be plenty of other areas for the contestants to screw up on.
    Last edited by Kip; 10-10-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: to add the paragraph breaks that mysteriously disappeared

We finally caught up on HK last night - scallops are soooo easy to cook. Not sure why they were all burned or raw!

I was kind of mystified by the Wellingtons too. You don't know if they are done correctly until you slice them, but if they are too raw you can't cook them some more. I'd be in big trouble on those.

I've never, ever understood why the contestants have so much trouble cooking basic things in the begining of the show. Surely, they must have some experience to qualify for the show.
    Even if they didn't have experience, you'd think everyone would practice before on scallops and risotto since they appear on the menu every season!
    Just like anyone going on Survivor should practice making fire!

As for the beef Wellingtons, they need to learn how different levels of doneness is reached from soft to harder. They do need to practice this so they really know what they're feeling. I"m not very good at it myself. But they also cook them after someone else has prepped them. They're already wrapped in the dough, saving a lot of time and effort.
    I wish I had a prep chef!!

FORT Fan

I also wonder if the Beef Wellingtons arent somehow pre cooked in a prep way?

I think the sous chefs (there is a man and a woman always in the background - and I have no idea their names!) stand in and make sure things arent truly awful during the prep times that arent shown on tv..

Quote Originally Posted by angelmum3;4082322;
    I also wonder if the Beef Wellingtons arent somehow pre cooked in a prep way?
    You're only supposed to do that if you want a well-done one (its normally served medium-rare).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Don't you have to wrap the meat in the pastry and let it sit a few hours before cooking? It seems like that would make it really easy for them to run out.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4082162;
    I've never, ever understood why the contestants have so much trouble cooking basic things in the begining of the show. Surely, they must have some experience to qualify for the show.
    Even if they didn't have experience, you'd think everyone would practice before on scallops and risotto since they appear on the menu every season!
    Just like anyone going on Survivor should practice making fire!

As for the beef Wellingtons, they need to learn how different levels of doneness is reached from soft to harder. They do need to practice this so they really know what they're feeling. I"m not very good at it myself. But they also cook them after someone else has prepped them. They're already wrapped in the dough, saving a lot of time and effort.
    I wish I had a prep chef!!
    A few contestants say they've never watched an episode of HK. I don't get that either. Even if you'd never watched an episode before, once you were chosen for the show, it seems really stupid to not watch at least a few episodes.

I'm pretty good at testing the doneness of a steak by touch, but I don't know how you'd do that with a Wellington - you'd put your finger through the crust.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4081004;
    We finally caught up on HK last night - scallops are soooo easy to cook. Not sure why they were all burned or raw!
    IMHO, I think they intentionally cast people who know the most basic of cooking and look more for drama now.

I can cook scallops and reading instructions know how to make a risotto.

It's rare I even see Wellingtons on any menu - and I even mean the five star restaurants I've had the very huge fortune of being invited to go to.

John Dory apparently is imported, and the place I read about this claims (and yes, this is why the Internet is not reliable) that Ramsay apparently has it on the menu in "HK" to attract interest in it getting shipped to America for its restaurants.)

Fish shouldn't be too difficult to cook - if people know timing per thickness.

More I think about it the more I'm convinced now they're just casting people for drama - the majority can't cook.

The last season I saw finalists who both could cook and cook well were Danny and Paula's, but even then we don't know what's happened with them since.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast