+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/6 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I haven't really been overly impressed by any of the contestants, but if I were going to root for anyone at this point, it would be Holli, simply because she produced three good desserts without acting as if it were an impossible task. Someone should alert the pie-impaired contestants over at Top Chef.

And while I agree that Ben has been a jerk, he was the only one of those who got to go on the shopping trip who was smart enough to think about something like a string of pearls for his wife. A good string of pearls is never going to go out of style and has the possibility of increasing in value. Metallic skinny pants do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;3970355;
    I have to disagree. Both behave like jerks, both constantly undermine and insult the women in heir teams (right to their faces and especially behind their backs), and both always shift the blame onto others when things go bad and refuse to admit when they did something wrong. I'd say they're extremely alike.
    Maybe that's because the only bad cooks this season were women (well, besides Mikey and Salvatore). There's a reason the red team never outright won a challenge this season. I'm not defending Benjamin, I just think it's kind of unfair to call him a sexist, which is blatantly untrue. Just because a man insults a woman doesn't mean he's a sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3971012 View Post
    Maybe that's because the only bad cooks this season were women (well, besides Mikey and Salvatore). There's a reason the red team never outright won a challenge this season. I'm not defending Benjamin, I just think it's kind of unfair to call him a sexist, which is blatantly untrue. Just because a man insults a woman doesn't mean he's a sexist.
    You're quite right there. Incompetence is incompetence, regardless of gender; being male or female shouldn't be relevant to whether you can do your job well or not.

That said, Benjamin's making an ass of himself, and, even if the editing is doing all it can to help him do it, there's no way around that it's still his own words and actions.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3971012;
    Agreed. Suggesting that a man cannot insult a woman (leaving out that insults are not the best behaviour in general) insinuates that women aren't capable of looking out for themselves and must be protected at all costs from the coarse behaviour of men - and that is sexist.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge;3971172;
    You're quite right there. Incompetence is incompetence, regardless of gender; being male or female shouldn't be relevant to whether you can do your job well or not.

That said, Benjamin's making an ass of himself, and, even if the editing is doing all it can to help him do it, there's no way around that it's still his own words and actions.
    Nicely said. I'm none too fond of Ben myself... and I agree with many of his assertations regarding Fran and Nilka as cooks (though I really liked Nilka). He's arrogant though, and refuses to work with his team as a result, and that really puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant
    Final three will be Ed, Jay, and Holli

Final two will be Ed and Jay

Ed will win

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!
    I hope you're right! Ed is the only one left that I remotely like. lol Though Holly isn't half as annoying as I thought she would be.

Quote Originally Posted by nanaslbkp;3967689;
    I am oh so happy that Ben informed us that rice is considered 'poor food'.....or did I hear it wrong? His visions of grandeur!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;3967793;
    That instantly made me think "so he technically considers many latin-american people and japanese people to be poor, huh?". What a jackass!

He is seriously too full of himself, and his comments towards the women are rude as hell, and it makes me angry they don't fight back when he is rude to them right in their faces.

Also, that whole "I'm so French because I got training" thing totally ticks me off. Everytime he replies to Ramsay with "Oui, Chef", I feel the urge to punch him.
    Rice is used @weddings.. Ben says Rice is poor food so I assume that only poor people throw rice @weddings. What do rich people throw, caviar?
    Last edited by Jackieblue824; 07-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.

There were more tactful ways of saying what he meant, like it wasn't upscale enough.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3971553;
    There were more tactful ways of saying what he meant, like it wasn't upscale enough.
    Totally. Beyond that, a food is what you make of it, not what you see it as. It's narrow-minded.
    One could also call potatoes, beets, or turnips "poor" food, I guess, but they are essential ingredients in many of Ramsey's dishes. I think Ben was being dismissive of anything that wasn't his idea.

The Jackass forgot about the Risotto, that's made with rice doesn't it. Certain foods may seem poor, but you can make a gourmet dish out of it. What an idiot!
    The Bachelorette: Ali Fedotowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jackieblue824;3971930;
    Certain foods may seem poor, but you can make a gourmet dish out of it.
    Sometimes that is the basis of a challenge. I like those challenges.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast