+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 4/09 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 4/09 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I think I just don't get these contestants. Every week they pretty much cook the same thing--salads, risotto, Wellington, John Dory, and whatever's the special dish of the day. What is going on that they can't keep their crap together? Is there something behind the scenes we aren't seeing, or are they that irrevocably incompetent? And I also find it a bit weird that they never say what Borgata restaurant the winner will executive chef at. There are several, and from what I can find on the interwebs, there's no commitment for any one restaurant. On one hand, I love the drama and Ramsay, but on the other, the whole thing feels even cheesier than "Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire."

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3410415;
    I also find it a bit weird that they never say what Borgata restaurant the winner will executive chef at.
    Someone explained on another thread that they filmed this more than 1 1/2 years ago. Perhaps they didn't want to commit themselves that deeply.

Also, Ramsay has changed the offer at the last minute before, so we still don't know for sure it will be a Borgata.

[QUOTE=cablejockey;3409692;]In the real world does this amount of screaming, swearing and verbal abuse get hurled at the chefs by the guy in charge? They seem to put up with it and yell "yes Chef" and keep at it--or is it the promise of having their own restaurant that keeps them taking Ramsey's insults and temper tantrums in stride? I find it hard to watch. Surley someone can be told their cooking is bad or style wrong without getting personal and abusive? [QUOTE]

I remember seeing/reading an interview with Scott, one of the sous chefs on the show. Gordo's abuse was brought up to him. IIRC, Scott said something to the effect that the type of abuse Gordo dishes out to the chefs is --- in California (and anywhere else, I'd personally wager) --- ILLEGAL. The only way he gets to get away with it is that Fox took Gordo as he was --- pimples, dimples, warts, swearing, plate-throwing and all --- and, thus, the show spins on the axis of his abusive kitchen personality.

And why did that NOT surprise me, I wonder?

Having said that, Scott also said that as Hell's Kitchen was and is a TV show, the contestants are well aware (or, MADE well aware) of Gordo's abusive work personality BEFORE they sign up. Once they DO sign up, their feet (and all the rest of 'em) are held to the Hell's Kitchen fire for any verbal and pretty much physical crap he cares to throw their way during kitchen service, until he gets tired of playing with them and boots them (or THEY decide to turn tail and walk, perhaps).

Me, personally, I wouldn't put up with any of his foolishness in order to win ANY prize, job, or whatever.

But, then again, different strokes.

Last edited by ness; 04-12-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Thanks for that information. It makes sense that are told what will happen to them--in the name of 'entertainment', I guess. They have to sign contracts and I hope its all worth it to them. Maybe the losers get better jobs after all the exposure, or they get 15 seconds of fame and make the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;3411383;
    I remember seeing/reading an interview with Scott, one of the sous chefs on the show. Gordo's abuse was brought up to him. IIRC, Scott said something to the effect that the type of abuse Gordo dishes out to the chefs is --- in California (and anywhere else, I'd personally wager) --- ILLEGAL. The only way he gets to get away with it is that Fox took Gordo as he was --- pimples, dimples, warts, swearing, plate-throwing and all --- and, thus, the show spins on the axis of his abusive kitchen personality.
    I read Marco Pierre White's (the 3-star Michelin chef who trained Ramsay) autobiography and bad behaviour in professional kitchens is apparently not at all unusual (though I couldn't say if it was a common occurence in ALL restaurants). White had some monumental tantrums himself and Ramsay must have thought his style was effective as he's copied it. It appears that the chefs who choose to work for them are willing to suck it up just to be able to be in the presence of and learn from the hugely successful and well-regarded ones. I wouldn't like that kind of work environment myself, but it's not terribly different from the insults and snarky behaviour of the judges on AI or ANTM.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Its like emotional slavery. Nobody is allowed to throw it back at Ramsey, or they areout. That makes it so one sided and unfair--unless its something the contestants are willing to do to get that restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3412247;
    I read Marco Pierre White's (the 3-star Michelin chef who trained Ramsay) autobiography and bad behaviour in professional kitchens is apparently not at all unusual (though I couldn't say if it was a common occurence in ALL restaurants). White had some monumental tantrums himself and Ramsay must have thought his style was effective as he's copied it. It appears that the chefs who choose to work for them are willing to suck it up just to be able to be in the presence of and learn from the hugely successful and well-regarded ones. I wouldn't like that kind of work environment myself, but it's not terribly different from the insults and snarky behaviour of the judges on AI or ANTM.
    Let me clarify something here --- and this is MY bad . . .

When I said illegal in California (and anywhere else, I'd personally wager), what I was SPECIFICALLY referring to/what I MEANT, was ILLEGAL HERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Maybe throwing stuff across a kitchen, swearing at people at the top of your lungs, pushing plates of food into someone's chest (and I'm no cop or lawyer, but I DO believe that could be considered assault, I think, here in the States) is common in Europe, and perhaps it's sometimes gotten away with here, in the States, because people are too afraid of whoever The Power That Is in a particular kitchen situation, is.

But I have a hard as hell time imagining that bad behavior of the type displayed by Gordo (and once engaged in by White himself; yep, he was known to send stuff flying across kitchens, too) is not at all unusual in "professional" kitchens here in the States.

Call me naive or stupid, but I just can't wrap my brain around the idea that here in the U.S., in a real-life working situation, NOT a reality-show program, people would willingly, consistently take the kind of abuse that Gordo dishes out on HK, just to be in the presence of a "master" chef.

I'm sorry.

Even if it's for a paycheck, I just can't understand or see how someone could/would put up with that kind of mess for a long period of time without FINALLY having had enough of it and either swearing and throwing something back, or finding something else and bailing out.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567