+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get better contestants on HK.

mcp
    FORT Newbie

How to get better contestants on HK.

Most of the posts for HK2 have dealt with the seemingly poor quality of the candidates. Part of the problem is they were selected by the producers based on their resume and a videotape each candidate made. This is what I would like to see.

1. Regional Cookoffs - The country would be divided into regions with a famous chef from each region (or Ramsay) as the judge. Candidates from each region would have thirty minutes to prepare a dish. Each dish would be judged on taste, appearance and technique.

2. Taste Tests - You can't be on the show unless you can identify by taste certain basic meats, vegetables and spices.

These two tests are consistent with the tests Ramsay uses in "Kitchen Nightmares." In fact, I think both tests should be used to eliminate candidates in the early rounds vs. the line.

FORT Regular

Continental Divide

I think the regional idea is a good one. I noticed many of the cooks this year are from Texas. I didn't see the show last year, but I read alot of stuff to catch up on it, and if I remember correctly many of the cooks were from New Jersey/New York. I think they should take applications from all over and then hold auditions in a centralized location within each of their designated regions. The cook-off to qualify is a good idea. Anyone putting shrimp in chocolate sauce gets an automatic kick to the curb.

They should make it absolutely mandatory that All DONKEYS who make it can identify Cheez-Whiz,
    remember to turn on an oven, and are thoroughly acquainted with the idea of wearing sweat bands and
    hair coverings.
    Last edited by Magic Mayo; 07-22-2006 at 03:37 AM.

brown and red and nasty.
    Bikini coffee shop or in the ER dying of toxic shock syndrome
    do you both honestly believe that the producers of HK were ever striving for hardworking, talented and amiable non-sociopaths for 2nd season?

FORT Regular

The Road To...

Quote Originally Posted by meezy View Post
    do you both honestly believe that the producers of HK were ever striving for hardworking, talented and amiable non-sociopaths for 2nd season?
    Of course not...we're just amusing ourselves until next Monday!

I think they should have the ever-cheerful (yeah, right...) sous chefs Scott and Mary Ann judging the regional pre-lims on account of we never actually see them do anything else. All cooks who fail to make it to the semi-finals must have a loud-gonging cow bell surgically attached to their necks. Mary Ann will be doing the cutting for that...we may then actually see her smile! Then when GRrrr & JP puddle jump over, all four brilliant professionals can judge who, out of the short list, will have the distinction of becoming the Final Victims of Culinary Destination! As they put these Donkeys thru their paces, poor put-upon Jean Philippe will be screaming long strings of disgusting Dutch obscenities at them, while whacking back a beer and munching big-breasted turkey tacos. They can even film it as one of those popular audition tv specials with the worst of the worst applicants (everyone from season 2) and call it "G-Ramming It To Hell"!
    Last edited by Magic Mayo; 07-22-2006 at 04:44 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Oh goody. I love these kinds of threads.

Since all the contestants came from only two areas of the country we know that the audition/recruitment process was low budget and they just wanted to get a show together and fast.

For starters up the budget and offer a cash prize. $500,000. Open the competition for a specific group with skills. Sous chefs or others already working in professional kitchens who want a career in that area. Skip the mothers who cook for their families.

Tone down the dramatics. Sure we have come to expect a certain behavior from Ramsey but he is over the top even for his dramatic character. Just moderate that a bit. Since he goes off on everything it fails to pack the punch that was originally intended.

Get Beef Wellington off the menu. Boring and not innovative.

mcp
    FORT Newbie
    The Wellington comment brings up a good point. I believe the entrees are picked to test coordination and communitcation on the line. For example, in a quick Google search I found the Wellington takes about 10-15 minutes vs. 25 minutes for Risotto. So, a table ordering both the Risotto and the Wellington requires the contestants working those two stations to talk to each other so both entrees come out at the same time. It would be nice if this were true for the show to point that out.

FORT Fogey
    Oh god. There are sooooo many other more current food trends that could be offered creating the same challenges.

How to Get Better Contestants (the title), offer a large cash prize. It is as easy as that.

There are existing cookoffs regionally already for lots of things, but they are usually for "specialty" areas of cooking.

Also, only amateurs tend to enter them.

Ideally we'd want food professionals in this thing. People who work in professional kitchens but who might not have had the benefit of a CIA or Cordon Bleu education. People coming up the hard way.

Of course if they did this they'd have to DARE to be willing to admit what only a few folks, like Tony Bourdain do--that most pro kitchen staffs in America are almost entirely Hispanic. So the producers couldn't get away with throwing in the one token Hispanic person per season (who coincidentally has been a Hispanic female, both amateurs too if I recall correctly).

They don't have the balls. They'd sooner keep using crap like "guy who works at Pizza Place" or "Deli Counter Manager".

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread