+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom - Season 2

Tom - Season 2

Tom
    Hometown: Belleville, NJ

After kicking around on Wall Street for years, Tom started taking some culinary classes. He got laid off from the business world, then went to the French Culinary Institute in NYC. He can handle being yelled at since it happens to him every day anyway. Being in Hell's Kitchen is his first kitchen job since finishing culinary school.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Hmm.. I wouldn't want this reality show to be my first kitchen experience since schooling.

Yeah, uhhh.. I'll say he'll stick around for a while, but will be inefficient because of the pace of the kitchen and he won't be able to keep up.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    This guy grosses me out!

I don't know why he's being super vocal to the other chefs..as if he's better than them in the kitchen. IMO, he's done nothing to warrant his "superior" attitude. The only thing that he did really well, was cut the 10 oz. steaks. Other than that..

He won't make it.. I will take a stab at it and say he'll be gone in two more episodes.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    He is a cocky one. Notice how he shook hands after the aggressive exchange with Garret?

FORT Regular

Hyperhidrosis...It Ain't Just For Breakfast Anymore

Seriously, isn't this the guy who was rabidly dripping dungball-sized drops into the dinner course?

If he went all saturated just by the act of owning up to his siggy dish; then the stress of the actual audition meeting with him must have been like going head first over Niagara Falls sans the barrel! I just cannot figure out how the HK talent scouts put this guy thru to be a finalist. He's not very experienced, this being his first gig, having just finished culinary school...but it's blatantly obvious the guy has a medical condition that is not conducive to being on a reality show with a humid kitchen requiring a healthy level of sanitation. Maybe, these network-lobotomized field-hands figured he'd come in handy to put out various and frequent frying-pan fires and deliver aid & comfort to badly burned and charred bodies!

Realistically, there are some medical treatments for this condition which may help some. I don't know what Tom was thinking; but staying out of severely stressful, Hellishly hot places and avoiding Brits named Ramsay would be a big step in the right direction!

All'n All, I wish I could just do a bit of "Magic" and treat Tom to a trip to the "Mayo" Clinic.
    (yeah, okay...I'll probably burn in hell for that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    This guy grosses me out!

I don't know why he's being super vocal to the other chefs..as if he's better than them in the kitchen. IMO, he's done nothing to warrant his "superior" attitude. The only thing that he did really well, was cut the 10 oz. steaks. Other than that..

He won't make it.. I will take a stab at it and say he'll be gone in two more episodes.
    I was impressed with his steaks, especially considering it was his first time. Some of the others ...

but he is too cocky for my tastes right now. Hope he learns that attitude needs to equal talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mayo View Post
    isn't this the guy who was rabidly dripping dungball-sized drops into the dinner course?

Realistically, there are some medical treatments for this condition which may help some.
    Your opening was hilariously hideous. I can't see him seeking treatment, he appeared to me to derive to much prideful sense of self from his signature condition based on his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    Your opening was hilariously hideous. I can't see him seeking treatment, he appeared to me to derive to much prideful sense of self from his signature condition based on his comments.
    You're right.. he was saying something to excuse himself for his repulsiveness, like "svetcher" or something Yiddish like that. What the hell is that? Sorry dude, you're just gross.. and don't lie, you know you wanted to cry when you didn't get to go for a helicopter ride.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Regular

Rightcoaster Response

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    Notice I did not say "Rightminded Response"! I love this: "hilariously hideous"...that so descriptively funny! (At this moment, I'd like to stop and say a silent prayer of gratitude that my ex-husband never heard that expression pertaining to me)

I want to say a little something about what I perceive may well be a medical condition for Tom. Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) is for many, many people a very real and life-altering condition. In no way am I making light of that fact. I, myself, from early puberty to young adulthood had a bit of this condition thru the palms of my hands...it was awful and I can't begin to tell you the situations I avoided because of it (shaking hands with someone was a true nightmare for me) It cleared up as I matured, but even now, when I am under extreme stess, it drops in to say a quick howdy-doo.

I, albeit in my unique, snarky way, am not blaming Tom for possibly having this condition; but more so blaming HK for exploiting it for the camera. I truly don't understand why Tom would allow that to happen or why he would put himself in the very circumstances that would obviously exacerbate the condition to the point of being unsanitary. He hit every single trigger point there is to turn on the waterworks, and seems totally OBLIVIOUS to that fact. If he wants to stay in the restaurant industry, he NEEDS to not be so "brushing off" of this condition and consider the fact that other people are putting his sweaty-handled & dripped-on food in their MOUTHS.

Basically, without some precautions taken, it amounts to him french-kissing everyone who eats his food! (yeah okay, I'm probably going to hell for saying that, too...or at least for inducing widespread nausea in a FORT forum)

I truly am not trying to be mean, but if I'm right, then his attitude and "condition" really gives me alot of concern.
    Last edited by Magic Mayo; 06-14-2006 at 02:38 AM.

I'm certainly inclined toward agreement in viewing Tom as having a medical condition, Magic Mayo.

I kind of agree with you about laying some blame on the show for bringing him aboard to begin with, but he of all people has to take his share of the responsibility. The way he spoke ( "svetcher" sounds right, good ear, corprip ), it didn't come across as anything new. I'm as surprised that he figured food prep was the direction to aim his future, as surprised that hair dood considers his locks anything but a liability in a kitchen.

I'm going to need to check out Top Chef to see how you've ripped 'em there. You're great at conveying an image, my gut wrenched (aaack...there it goes again) reading your french kissing comment.

Good running into you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast