+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chef Ramsay says women can't cook

Quote Originally Posted by taffina View Post
    ...the job of cooking all night in a kitchen for dozens of patrons is manual labor. Think about it.

Maybe women are not as attracted to the physical part of the job. I am sure the creative side suits females well.

jmo
    By that logic, no woman would have ever become a nurse, or worked in a laundry, or hired out to Merry Maids. Also, chefs have staffs working for them - everything from chopping vegetables to doing dishes. I fail to see why being a chef would be more masculine than handling bedpans or turning over heavy patients.

Women certainly do (and have, in decades past) cook all night for patrons, just usually not in the higher paid chef positions. They cook for large families, they've cooked in farm camps, logging camps, etc., etc. They cook for entire schools and universities!

But even in the food service industry, for instance waitperson positions - the higher paid (very fine restaurant; in America, wages = tips percentages) positions usually go to men. It's cultural misogyny, not women's incompetence, that has to do with fewer female chefs.

And by the way, did you watch Top Chef? A fair amount of contestants - some already earning money as chefs or teachers in culinary institutes - were women.

I don't know if you were just trying to agitate anyone, taffina - but apparently you've also never heard of Rosie the Riveter. Or, heck, watched the latest episode of Wife Swap (Female police officer, who proved to a chauvinistic swap-husband that women can do physical types of jobs).

How about female soldiers, firefighters, police officers, factory workers... heck my grandmother did the work of THREE men and this was according to the efficiency expert who came and timed them all. I'd be a lot less polite, but I don't want to actively fight with another post-er and get in trouble.

As for Ramsay... well I might take offense if he said something like what someone else here said, but, he did not say women were not ABLE physically to cook, or less talented. He simply observed that many of them did not. (And by cooking, he means, not from packaged foods, which he repeatedly objects to on his tv programs.) I agree - it's an observation and it's fair enough. It just so happens most in charge of domestic meals are female, and if they'd been male, I think he'd have said the same of them. (It's lazy cooking I see him objecting to - not women themselves. I just saw an ep of another show of his, in which he praised repeatedly, a woman's cooking and praised her restaurant which had a huge painting of her face on front.)

Gordon has his jerk-ish moments, (like laughing at men who want to attend their children's births), but this wasn't one of them.

I can say that I was not offended by Chef's comment. Actually, I agree with him. Most of the women I know, Don't know how to cook. Unfortunatly, the same is true for their daughters who won't know how to cook either.

I have a sixteen year old and she is currently learning to cook various things from her grandmother and myself. We don't want her to be like the majority of young ladies these days. I contantly remind her that "The way into a man's heart is thru his stomach".

Dancing along the border of turbulence and order
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE View Post
    The Daily Telegraph newspaper said Ramsay's characteristically outspoken views might come as a surprise to his wife Tana, who cooks for their four children in a separate kitchen at home.
    First, I can't believe Tana has a separate kitchen. Why can't they cook together?

Can you imagine dinnertime at the Ramsay house - when he isn't working? "You call this bangars and mash? Would you eat this #&$#& slop?" (Ramsay turns the plate on its side while speaking to his 10 yr old daughter) "Do it again. It's bland and looks like poodle poo!"

Oh my lovely avatar, Nigella Lawson, took some flak for agreeing with Gordon when that comment was made...her point being that these days too many women are not interested in learning to cook. Of course she got raked through the muck for being a posh, rich dilettante. You can't win.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Premium Member
    Maybe it was Tana's idea to have her own kitchen because she doesn't want to cook with him.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    I think it was just a simple observation as well, It almost sounded like he was shocked more of the women he ran across were unable to cook.. He also has higher standards in this venue given his profession. I, myself, love cooking and wish I could do more.. but as stated.. Job and kids make that hard when you wanna eat by 6 and you get home at 5 or 5:30. However I can still make a mean Sex on the Beach
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Some of you might enjoy reading about the history of TV dinners.

I too wasn't really offended. My only point is that it's relatively easy to cook something amazing when you have all day. But when it's expected every day and with kids and a full time job--what can you honestly expect. You can't have it both ways.

FORT Regular

Jumping The Pond Towing Pots & Pans

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Maybe it was Tana's idea to have her own kitchen because she doesn't want to cook with him.
    LOL! If I were Tana, I'd have my kitchen in a Different Country!

Wouldn't it be funny if we found out that when GRrrr
    cooks at home, he just opens cans of "spagettios" he smuggled back from the States?!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast