+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Took Abuse for Hours in Hell's Kitchen

I Took Abuse for Hours in Hell's Kitchen

June 17, 2005 -- JEFF La Poff has no regrets over calling verbally abusive chef Gordon Ramsay an "a**hole" before storming off "Hell's Kitchen" last Monday.

"I don't regret it at all somebody needed to tell him he was a j***off, and I think it was well-deserved," says La Poff.

"It got to the point where he was riding me to no end . . . where I couldn't deal with it anymore," says the 28-year-old finance manager from Orange, N.J.

"It was a spur- of-the-moment thing. I was like, how much more of this crap am I going to take?

"I took abuse for hours and hours. I don't think the editing [of the show] showed much of what I endured."

Unlike fellow contestant Dewberry, who quit the week before under Ramsay's withering abuse only to return minutes later La Poff's walkoff was his final act on "Hell's Kitchen."

On the Fox reality show, wannabe res taurateurs are whip ped into shape by Ramsay, the world- famous chef known as much for his hair- trigger temper and in sults as for his re nowned restaurants.

La Poff's meltdown wasn't his first run-in with Ramsay who, to be fair, has berated most of the show's contestants.

Not only had La Poff previously earned Ramsay's wrath OK, and some praise but his team mates began to question the vali dity of the kid ney stone at tacks that seemed to cripple him.

La Poff remedied that on last Monday's episode, passing the kidney stones in a men's room stall and them showing them to his teammates to prove he wasn't slacking off.

"Kidney stones are brutally painful, like the most awful pain you can imagine," La Poff says. "I have no problem with working hard, but I was on morphine [for the kidney stones] for days and spent a couple of nights in the hospital, which they didn't show.

"When you're on morphine and no sleep, it takes its toll and puts you in a delirious state," he says.

"But that wasn't the morphine talking it was me," he says of his profane outburst. "I'm short-fused and short-circuited, and I do have a temper and I'm outspoken. But I'm glad I did what I did."

And La Poff indicated that he doesn't necessarily agree with how Ramsay runs "Hell's Kitchen."

"I've worked in restaurants for many years and how Gordon runs his restaurant is not necessarily how all restaurants are run," he says. "There are other ways of getting the best out of people.

"I think it's exaggerated a bit," he says of Ramsay's abuse. "I don't know how anybody, in fact, would put up with it.

"How many hours of listening to that can you take?"
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/48486.htm

Whiny to the bitter end.

I'm wondering if the others will decide that their self respect is more important to them than being on tv with this fool. He is a total idiot. He may be there by himself by the last episode.

"I've worked in restaurants for many years and how Gordon runs his restaurant is not necessarily how all restaurants are run," he says.
    Ummmm... doesn't this contradict what he said on that episode where he whined about never having worked in a restaurant before? That was probably just more whining because he just didn't have what it takes.

The cream rises and the crap..... well, it gets flushed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If you try to get on a reality show and actually do, expect the worst, or don't bother trying out. It may go good for you or it may be terrible for you. You take your chance. My daughter was on a reality show and even though it was a great experience for her, it was Hell during the filming.

Muduh, yes he is an idiot, but they auditioned to be on his show, so they have to expect the worse.

My way of thinking of trying out for a reality show...Expect the worse things ever happening to you, including being talked to like you are a complete idiot. If you can't handle that, don't try out for a reality show.

I learned long ago that not telling the truth eventually makes you trip up. I do believe he did say in the show that he had not worked in a restaurant before. If you want to do this show, do it and stop whining. I just wonder if Jeff was cast purposely - kidney stone and all. I believe that he had a stone, but what he showed looked a bit large to me. A friend of mine had some large ones but not like that one.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I learned long ago that not telling the truth eventually makes you trip up. I do believe he did say in the show that he had not worked in a restaurant before. If you want to do this show, do it and stop whining. I just wonder if Jeff was cast purposely - kidney stone and all. I believe that he had a stone, but what he showed looked a bit large to me. A friend of mine had some large ones but not like that one.

I thought he said he never *worked the line* before. He may have waited tables, bartended, did prep work, etc. but never actually cooked. But yes, he was pretty whiny, and I agree- you get what you sign up for so quit snivelling!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone
    I thought he said he never *worked the line* before. He may have waited tables, bartended, did prep work, etc. but never actually cooked. But yes, he was pretty whiny, and I agree- you get what you sign up for so quit snivelling!
    Yes you are right he did say he never worked the line before. I was referencing a previous post and should know better and stick with my research.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Wasn't he the waiter that no one liked in the first episode?? Sounds like he couldn't take the heat so he finally walked out of the kitchen.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2
    Wasn't he the waiter that no one liked in the first episode?? Sounds like he couldn't take the heat so he finally walked out of the kitchen.
    Yes he was and he even said he was "relieved" to be a waiter since he was "good with people". Course by the end he was whining that it was a "horrific horrific experience".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast