+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Chef's tasting your food before it goes out of the kitchen?

The Chef's tasting your food before it goes out of the kitchen?

Did anyone notice,Chef Ramsey telling someone,to taste the food
    before,it goes out of the kitchen? So is that what they do,dip
    their finger in your food? Sorry I find that gross.

I figure the less we think about the preparation of the meal the more palatable it'll be.

I noticed the dip-n-taste, perhaps they use a variation of the five second rule; so long as you're finger doesn't stay in the mixture long enough to alter the ingredients appreciably no harm, no foul. Still kind of grody seeing it from a consumers viewpoint, particularly considering that they're using the same finger they're scratching that itch and wiping off on the towel that they use for wiping up messes and pretty much everything else.

I liked the way Ramsay hounded that one dude to toss out the overdone veggie mess; he wasn't just guessing that someone would try and sneak it back onto the serving platters to save a few moments, he'd seen it and probably done it himself at some point in the past.

I've seen it done but with a clean fork or spoon and a tiny nibble only, and not every dish, but more frequently if it is a training session.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

It's fairly common.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I've seen it done but with a clean fork or spoon and a tiny nibble only, and not every dish, but more frequently if it is a training session.
    Ok that's not gross,using a clean fork or spoon.I thought I saw Chef Ramsey
    dip his finger in the food.

most chefs do do the fingerdip in the food. I have seen it in a number of shows where they cook. Well, supposedly their hands are supposed to be clean so..yeah. We are just better off not knowing what happens to our food before it gets to us.

There was a topic about this when Rocco from the The Restaurant did this. Here is the thread, Rocco sticking his fingers in plated food

I seen on Iron Chef the cook tasting it with a spoon and using same spoon to stir, Sakai was good at doing that, as for Ramsey I seen him do it , personally I think it is sick, I mean you don't know what that finger as touched( such as raw chicken or stuff)

FORT Newbie
    I guess it's a good thing that the chef is making sure that the food is up to his standards before serving it. However, the thought of him dipping his finger in MY food before I eat it does turn my stomach just a bit. Maybe next time I go to a restaurant, I'll ask the server if the chef does this. (lol...doubt I'll really do that) I think it's better just not to think about it. I really doubt that I'll die from the chef doing that...but, ewwww. Definately gross!

yeah, chef's always taste there food to make sure it's up to par

best thing is to not think about the food peparation and try not to piss off anyone involved along the food prep chain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast