+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    This first show was obviously meant to set the tone for Gordon's temperment and how fast-paced and tough the restaurant business is. I really do not believe the show intended to focus on the food, but I do believe we're going to see that in upcoming episodes.
    You're right, it's probably because I'm a food junkie that I want to learn more about the professional cooking process. I guess I've learned a lot about the heated professional kitchen environment though!

And....... I don't need to know much about risotto to know that any food that doesn't fall off of the plate when you turn it upside-down is not quality.
    Good point!

Funny that Thomas Keller is brought up...in my copy of The Soul of a Chef, in which author Michael Ruhlman spends some time at the French Laundry, the overall impression is that you don't get away with a screw up without some consequences. Keller doesn't yell, but it's just as bad. And I'm sure Ramsay would not turn down a request to appear at a table for any comments, negative or positive. Once again, you do not barge your way into a kitchen. Not even at Wendy's. Also, the people who are in this show aren't all untrained...what of the "executive chef"?
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Welcome to FORT, Howie! I agree with your post up to this point.

This first show was obviously meant to set the tone for Gordon's temperment and how fast-paced and tough the restaurant business is. I really do not believe the show intended to focus on the food, but I do believe we're going to see that in upcoming episodes. (If we don't, please feel free to come back and give me a big ol' raspberry and tell me "I told ya so!")

And....... I don't need to know much about risotto to know that any food that doesn't fall off of the plate when you turn it upside-down is not quality.
    But But Broadway, - Why shouldn't the ol' food stickum to the plate?

All in all I think I will continue to watch this show, however I am going to park my butt on the couch with my laptop next time to keep up with the comment slingers.... hehehehe
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I agree with what several of you have said about the customer service -- I think if Ramsay really meant it when he said that was so important, he wouldn't have closed the kitchen in a huff. That wasn't about customers, that was about Ramsay having a hissy and drama for the show.

And yeah, the customers had to have been lured there with something -- either cash, or a promise that they *might* make it on the show if they showed up and sat there for three hours.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Funny that Thomas Keller is brought up...in my copy of The Soul of a Chef, in which author Michael Ruhlman spends some time at the French Laundry, the overall impression is that you don't get away with a screw up without some consequences. Keller doesn't yell, but it's just as bad.
    I'm sure it's pretty devestating making it to Thomas Keller's kitchen and then screwing up and having him express disapproval. I wouldn't begrudge him for losing his temper a bit and letting loose some expletives, but it still doesn't seem quite the same as getting a plate of food shoved in your chest.

Also, the people who are in this show aren't all untrained...what of the "executive chef"?
    True, but it seems like there was a big mix of people. Maybe they were picked for entertainment value more than cooking talent. I wouldn't want to open a restaurant in one day with those people (not unless I had my own TV show ).

And I'm sure Ramsay would not turn down a request to appear at a table for any comments, negative or positive.
    I'd love to go to his restaurant, but, honestly, I'd be terrified to request an audience with him after seeing this show.

Lord knows what I'd throw at people if I was a chef trying to teach some nincompoops I know of a foodie who went on a tour of Great Britain and made it a point to try and rile Ramsey up at two of his restaurants while he was in-house. Both time the guy failed to get him on a rampage.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    But But Broadway, - Why shouldn't the ol' food stickum to the plate?
    I've asked my ex that many a time... normally after yet another plate of overcooked spaghetti. He's Italian... didn't take too kindly to my butchering of his native food.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by howie
    I wouldn't begrudge him for losing his temper a bit and letting loose some expletives, but it still doesn't seem quite the same as getting a plate of food shoved in your chest.
    )
    I worked as a cook for almost 13 years, and it was highly stressful, lots of yelling and profanity. That came with the job and I understood. But, if this tool shoved a plate into my chest, he'd be in a coma. There is no excuse for that.

Okay, so maybe Carolann did deserve to go, though it's a shame the cutest girl is the first to leave. Also, it's weird that there was 7 guys and 5 girls instead of 6 and 6.

Those customers waiting for so long with no food and all, yup, most blatantly obvious scripted thing in a reality show I've seen for a very long time. I refuse to believe so many people waited so long, and that those two women simply let that temperamental F-tard insult them in such a way, cause just about anybody with some common sense would've taken the cell phone and call up the police before that Leatherface wannabe could've thought up his next insult, or at the very least bitchslapped him. Lord knows the dude deserves that and so much more.

It's funny, I hated the show overall, but I dunno if I might keep myself from watching it, because the only thing holding me to it is the possibility of seeing one of the contestants lose it and go ballistic on the guy. Cursing worse than a drunken sailor on crack, wailing like a banshee, and shoving food on his victims, sooner or later one of them will very hopefully put the guy where he belongs, either in the trash, or headfirst in the oven... or could I have both? So yeah, hopefully one of the contestants will have taken enough soon and add some little bit of saving grace to this otherwise mediocre show.

this show is funny, sure it's scripted not many 'reality' shows are unscripted

nobody is that rude in real life

+ Reply to Thread