+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 3/12 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 3/12 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've always wished that I could do these types of things, but I am allergic to more foods than I care to think about. The scallops always look so good, but they don't like me. There's just so much that I can't eat or even be around. Allergies are very annoying and restricting. Plus I am not one to be fond of being in the kitchen. Limited, is how I would describe me. I do admire chefs, since it is somewhat of an art. I've never had risotto, but I am open to trying it! Is it really that difficult to prepare? Seems to require one's full attention at all times.

No difficult just finicky. I sauté onion and garlic in butter, then add my arborio rice and toss that until it becomes translucent then I slowly add a ladleful of hot stock in at a time, stirring gently until absorbed for about 15 minutes then I add about 2 cups of butternut squash soup and a quarter cup of wine and a bit of saffron, stirring, then more soup stock until the rice is toothsome then remove from heat and stir in a cup of Parmesan cheese it will thicken quickly at this point. Serve right away. I think the Hell's Kitchen rice must've parboiled or something.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I've always wished that I could do these types of things, but I am allergic to more foods than I care to think about. The scallops always look so good, but they don't like me. There's just so much that I can't eat or even be around. Allergies are very annoying and restricting. Plus I am not one to be fond of being in the kitchen. Limited, is how I would describe me. I do admire chefs, since it is somewhat of an art. I've never had risotto, but I am open to trying it! Is it really that difficult to prepare? Seems to require one's full attention at all times.
    I sympathize regarding allergies. They suck — as do people who say, "Just take a pill; what's the big deal?" I am trying to get allergies [particularly those with asthmatic and anaphylactic reactions] included in ADA, but it's a hard, dismal battle without serious financial backing — especially with the big bucks currently pouring in from the service/therapy DOG lobbists, as well as the availability of counterfeit service/"therapy" dog/cat vests available to any lying a-hole, who feels the need to take his/her pet everywhere, on Amazon, etc.

Anyway— back to risotto: it's really easy. It requires some babysitting, but not much — because too much babysitting/stirring is not good. I like the basic recipe on the Trader Joe's arborio rice box as a guideline; I tweak it as regards the add-in veggies, etc., but stay in line with the ratios. It's not rocket science; I don't know why the show makes such a big deal of it, nor why so many contestants eff it up. It's a fairly no-brainer, dummy-proof dish.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, it's like on Amazing Race....why, if you know you can't swim, wouldn't you go take lessons and learn before you apply....and practice, practice, practice. Why don't these people do the same with risotto (AND scallops) when they know that this is one of the main stumbling blocks on Hell's Kitchen??? And if they don't know, they shouldn't be allowed to waste anyone's time with applying to the show. I guess people just don't believe in preparing for tests, anymore?
    ness likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

A good risotto is WONDERFUL.

I've eaten at one of Gordon's restaurants (the Steakhouse at Paris Las Vegas). Having eaten Beef Wellington prepared to HIS specifications, I don't ever want to eat it anywhere else again. Yes, it was that good. We didn't have risotto there (too many other choices), but I'm sure it would have been amazing.
    JohnnyK likes this.

FORT Fan

You know, it's like on Amazing Race....why, if you know you can't swim, wouldn't you go take lessons and learn before you apply....and practice, practice, practice. Why don't these people do the same with risotto (AND scallops) when they know that this is one of the main stumbling blocks on Hell's Kitchen??? And if they don't know, they shouldn't be allowed to waste anyone's time with applying to the show. I guess people just don't believe in preparing for tests, anymore?
    It's the same with any of the dishes they cook routinely. Why wouldn't anyone want to be sure they could cook halibut the way it's done on the show?

I did notice that their lobsters were pre-killed and pre-cooked for the show this week. I'm guessing because lobster is sooo expensive and they didn't want the "chefs" destroying thousands of dollars of perfectly good lobster.

On a site called "chowhound" they have The recipe that Ramsey allegedly uses. It is a quicker version and part of it is done early and allowed to cool before making the final dish. It that is indeed the recipe he uses then there really is absolutely no excuse for these "chefs" not to have mastered it before the competition starts.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    On a site called "chowhound" they have The recipe that Ramsey allegedly uses. It is a quicker version and part of it is done early and allowed to cool before making the final dish. It that is indeed the recipe he uses then there really is absolutely no excuse for these "chefs" not to have mastered it before the competition starts.
    Thanks for that info. I'm going to see if I really have been following Gordon's intructions.
    (Beautiful cat in your avatar)

My theory is that there's a question on the application that says "Have you watched Hell's Kitchen?" and anyone who answers "yes" gets instantly rejected.
    Ellen, ness, beerbelly and 2 others like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badseed View Post
    My theory is that there's a question on the application that says "Have you watched Hell's Kitchen?" and anyone who answers "yes" gets instantly rejected.
    Sometimes I wonder if the question is: "Have you ever BEEN in a kitchen?" Or "Can you SPELL kitchen?" Answering yes to those are also grounds for immediate dismissal.
    Ellen, ness, beerbelly and 3 others like this.

Lol
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast