+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roshni - Season 10

Roshni - Season 10

What was your first job in a kitchen?
    My first kitchen job was when I was 13, bussing tables and serving coffee at a local diner. I was told I was too young to work in the kitchen, so I would go into work early and watch the kitchen for a few hours before my shift started. Sometimes they would let me help if they got backed up. That is when I knew I was meant to be in this industry.

What is the first dish you ever mastered?
    Tandoori chicken on a homemade smoker that I made. I was just playing around and had an idea that might just work...and it did.

What is your signature dish?
    Rack of Lamb

Any stories of triumph from the kitchen? Disaster?
    My greatest triumph was becoming a chef, overcoming all the negative feedback I got from family and friends. After graduating culinary school, I packed a bag and moved to Asia and worked for a hotel where I was the only female amongst 79 males. This was hard, but instead of making them accomodate me, I accomodated them. I took a lot of crap, a lot of talking behind my back, but I proved myself through my hard work and dedication. And what started off as what I thought was the worst disaster of my life became one of the best experiences that built the foundation of my career. Something I will always remember.

Who was your first cooking inspiration?
    I don't know if I really had one. I just knew from a very young age that I loved to cook, even before I knew what a chef was.

What's the one piece of advice you took away from Hell's Kitchen?
    Apart from all the drama and the cameras, if you are focused and dedicated you will learn a lot. I went into the competition really wanting to make it as far as I could. A lot of the time, I forgot it was a show. For me, it was a challenge to myself. Made me stronger and made me realize that the choices I have made in life are the right ones.

FOX Broadcasting Company - Roshni Gurnani - Hell's Kitchen on FOX - Official Site
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Re: Roshni - Season 10

Ah, I remember this lady. Much like Will from last season, she has competed in Chopped, but unlike Will, she managed to win in the episode she competed. Plus so far she seems to be one of the only girls without a nasty attitude, so she's on my like list.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Ah, I remember this lady. Much like Will from last season, she has competed in Chopped, but unlike Will, she managed to win in the episode she competed. Plus so far she seems to be one of the only girls without a nasty attitude, so she's on my like list.
    This episode is on now - my husband was watching Chopped and I thought I recognized her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    This episode is on now - my husband was watching Chopped and I thought I recognized her voice.
    Indeed, I saw the episode too. It was nice seeing her there, actually doing well. Wonder what is it about Hell's Kitchen that sucked some of her talent away.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Indeed, I saw the episode too. It was nice seeing her there, actually doing well. Wonder what is it about Hell's Kitchen that sucked some of her talent away.
    It was probably the osmosis of standing near some of those idiots on the men's team.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

The way this show is structured, it's like they're searching for the best line cook. A head chef should be able to cook foods properly, but a great line cook may make a terrible head chef.

This show does things backwards. Currently, there's a competition that usually involves making a tasty dish. The winning individual/team gets a treat. Then the person with the worst dinner service goes home.

Instead, they should have a dinner service first, and the winning team from that gets a treat. Then have the cooking competition, and have the cooks who do the worst at that be up for elimination. It seems that this way you'd be more likely to end up with someone who knows flavors and cooking techniques rather than someone who can make a great risotto over and over.

+ Reply to Thread