+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8/10 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/10 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4034348;
    The finale was kind of strange - no decorating their own restaurant space or creating a theme this time. Was kind of subdued, almost felt like a regular dinner service with bozos back to "help."
    I think they dropped the restaurant decorating (which always involved some sabotage) when they changed from a two hour finale to one hour.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;4034477;
    I think they dropped the restaurant decorating (which always involved some sabotage) when they changed from a two hour finale to one hour.
    I preferred the one-hour finale. Two hours was too much. While the restaurant decorating aspect was sometimes amusing (for example, Danny's stuffed fish on the wall), the task has nothing to do with the head chef job they're competing for.

I would have chosen Jay for the job, but I predicted Holli would win based on the fact that it seemed obvious during the first four seasons they were trying to maintain gender equivalency of the winners. I like Holli but I thought Jay was a tad better (based on what we were shown).

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4032757;
    Holli wins. Wow.

It's not nearly the shock of Christina winning in Season 4 though. At least Holli knows what she's doing overall.

Then again, it (supported by Ramsay's spoken explanation of why he picked Holli) kind of proves this show really is more about finding talented Apprentices than the fiction of an "Executive Chef". After all, getting back to Christina... I wonder how many people know she STILL works for Ramsay (at The London, in Hollywood). Guess as what? A Sous Chef. Not an executive chef.
    If he would ever find someone capable of being an executive chef maybe he could truly give away that prize. Truly, has there been anyone capable in the miserable lot they gather as contestants? A nanny as executive chef? A school cafeteria worker? A homemaker who only cooks at home? I am a pretty decent cook, but no way could I ever be an executive chef and cook at a restaurant! Than again I am not dellusional, like many of the contestants are.

P.S. That is cool that Christina still works for Ramsey. She must do well at what he allows her to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhosis;4033726;
    Editing probably should have been a little different. I mean, we all know to take these reality shows w/ a grain of salt (i.e. all challenges always end w/ a tiebreaker, etc) but it made the ending look rigged to me. I thought the editing made it obvious that Jay was the superior cook.
    I agree. It reminded me of an Apprentice finale, where I was scratching my head wondering wtf?
    I like Holli and think she deserved to be there in the finale, but, the way it was edited, I just dont understand Ramseys decision. Definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.

The finale was kind of strange - no decorating their own restaurant space or creating a theme this time. Was kind of subdued, almost felt like a regular dinner service with bozos back to "help."
    I'm glad they didn't show the re-decorating part. I always hate that & it makes the show way longer than it needs to be.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I thought Jay had a slight edge in abilities, but where this is almost definitely an apprenticeship position, I thought Holli demonstrated more developable talent than BluJay and that is why Ramsay chose her.

The only part I used to like was the decorating. It was a real let down. And I stopped watching for most of the season, did not have any feeling toward the final contestants other than to be confused about how some nasty, foul-mouthed smoker got to the end.

FORT Fanatic

I didn't watch about 3 weeks in a row and didn't feel I missed much. I'm pretty sick of Ramsey's cursing.

The black chef Rock who won a year or two ago had a one-year job through Ramsey working in Las Vegas. He moved his family there and rented a house but returned to the D.C. area a year later (where he had worked previously) but worked at another restaurant (Ben's Chili Bowl, a D.C. instititution that took over a space next door for more room and upscale menu). Then I read he left that place. Seems like many chefs seem to be on the move constantly.

Working in a restaurant must be terrible if you have a family - working nights, weekends, holidays. When can you see your family?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123