+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THINGS every Hell's Kitchen Contestant should damn well know...

Re: THINGS every Hell's Kitchen Contestant should damn well know...

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66;3949539;
    Maybe read his cook books, that might help.
    But if you do, don't come off as though you are stalking him! :nono

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Coupla basic things based on the idiocy we've seen so far this season:

Boil your water to cook your pasta. *sighs*
    Crab meat, lobster, lobster, crab. Learn the difference.
    If your risotto is cooked and you need more... don't add more rice to the current dish! (that one blew me away. Half of that risotto was going to be soooo mushy, lol)

And an old favourite:
    Warm water boils faster than cold water.

Here's an idea (concerning the water boiling)...

If you are at that station ALWAYS have at least one spare vessel pre-heated with water boiling (or simmering just below the boiling point) ready to go.

Unless they'd get yelled at for wasting gas. Is this an eco-friendly competition?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Know how to tell the difference between rare beef and medium well done beef

Know that chicken must NEVER be served rare. (I can't remember if that's happened this season yet, but it has in the past)

No matter how good a chef you think you are, you aren't really that good, and talking about how good you are only makes you sound like an ass.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fanatic

I was shocked to read an article in the Boston Globe on June 16 that said this current season was filmed almost two years ago - why the long wait?

Normally the credits go by so fast I can't read them.

The contestants are sequestered in LA during the two months of filming regardless of how they fare.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3951954;
    I was shocked to read an article in the Boston Globe on June 16 that said this current season was filmed almost two years ago - why the long wait?

Normally the credits go by so fast I can't read them.

The contestants are sequestered in LA during the two months of filming regardless of how they fare.
    And that means the "winner" has to spend two years waiting on their so-called "dream job"?

Probably not. Instead, Ramsay probably spends two years putting the winner through long-term Ramsay boot-camp in an ATTEMPT to make a real chef out of him or her. THAT'S probably the real prize.

That said... if its true it means the Savoy opening has been planned for a LOOOOONG time. Because it doesn't open until October of this year: The Savoy London Will Re-Open on 10.10.10 at £350 a Night || HotelChatter

But this is interesting... it says:
    Lastly, the Savoy Grill will re-open as well under the operation of Gordon Ramsay Holdings with Chef Patron, Stuart Gillies and Head Chef, Andy Cook.
    Neither of those, of course, is the name of anyone on this show (the "Andy" in the cast is "Andrew Forster"). And of course there's sous chef Andi Van Willigan, but it wouldn't be her in any case.

Speaking of Andi Van Willigan... this bio says she shot two seasons with Ramsay. Since this is the first one we've seen her, it means ANOTHER season on top of the one we're currently seeing has already been shot.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-26-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Open Casting Call : Hell’s Kitchen Season 7
    September 30th, 2009
    September 28, 2009 – Nationwide Casting for Hell’s Kitchen Season 7 With Chef Gordon Ramsay Begins

Hell’s Kitchen Season 7 is scheduled to film January 2010.

as per RandomSanDiego.com - Metro San Diego's Random Entertainment Guide
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

"Gordon Ramsay says Hell’s Kitchen winners “need to have a mentor”
    Hell's Kitchen 7 »
    by Andy Dehnart / June 14, 2010, 11:39 AM

Reality TV competitions have a long history of not actually awarding their announced prize to the winner, for reasons that vary from post-show taxes (no Survivor winner ends up being a millionaire, unless they don’t pay their taxes) to misleading promises qualified by fine print (America’s Got Talent gives its $1 million over 40 years).

For The Daily Beast, I examined what 20 reality shows actually give as their prizes versus what they say they’ll give. Some offer what they say they will. Others don’t. Some, like The Bachelor, thrive even though their prize is a joke.

Hell’s Kitchen has a history of failing to give out is prizes and, for the story, I asked Gordon Ramsay a few questions via e.mail (through Fox) including whether or not his expectations for the chefs change when he’s hiring someone to work in one of his own restaurants; this season, the winner will get a job at his Savoy Grill in London. “No of course not, my reputation is on the line when choosing a Hell’s Kitchen winner, so either way they need to be bloody good,” Ramsay said.

Ramsay told me that this season’s “winner will be in the kitchen during its opening months working alongside Head Chef Andy Cook,” and said that having the winner be mentored—i.e. not automatically elevated to executive chef—is to be expected. “[Y]ou can’t take someone and put them in an unfamiliar restaurant and expect them to exceed [sic], they need to have a mentor and work alongside an executive chef. The executive chefs at our prize restaurants are always amazing and the winner has an amazing opportunity to learn from the best,” he wrote."

reality blurred + the reality TV news digest
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

To this day I don't understand why they aren't simply honest about the prize. Or at least SOMEWHAT honest.

Saying "a limited time apprenticeship to one of Gordon's prize chefs" might come off as kind of lame, so maybe they'd need to say "working under Gordon" (which is only a semi-fib". But the whole lie about being an Exec. Chef (be it for Gordon, or for whatever restaurant they bully into pretending that season) is just annoying.

Or they could have to balls to do what Top Chef, that show which has actual qualified people on it, does. Just make it a cash prize and freaking say it straight out. If its good enough for the actual award winning chefs participating on THAT show, then it should be good enough for the barely functional idiots on THIS show. Cash on the barrelhead. Maybe "pretending" its intended to help them start their own restaurant (although that might be pushing it--and even Top Chef is guilty of that--since most restaurants take a few million bucks to start).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast