+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 4/1 Premiere Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/1 Premiere Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2888052;
    Diver scallops, capers, venison, caviar and white chocolate?? This is a big joke, right?
    Ramsay seems to have an ongoing problem with idiots on his reality shows misusing chocolate. There was some moron on his Kitchen Nightmares show that put chocolate syrup (the CRAPPY kind out of a squeeze bottle) on lamb chops.

Then again, as we know, FOX and yes, Ramsay, lie a lot on these FOX shows. I've read accounts with Kitchen Nightmares, for example, about whole arcs of the story they are telling being flat out invented. Still, if you see some dude put chocolate syrup on lamb, or mix caviar, venison and white chocolate, that's probably not something editing can "make" gross, 'cause... it just IS.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Hubby asked, why would anyone sign up for that kind of abuse. My answer: Because they are the scrapings from the bottom of the culinary barrel. To refer to the other cooking reality shows, they don't have the hosting skills to meet the goals of the Next Food Network Chef, and they are nowhere near being a Top Chef. So the answer, to quote that iconic Richard Gere movie, is... "They've got no place else to go!" [grimace]

My feeling on the casting is this. On all of the cooking shows Top Chef Next Food network Star...they cast about 6 that could actually win it. The rest are filler. There are maybe three or four on this season of HK can win. The rest will be dismissed in due course. I felt that Rock was the winner all the way. Even when he had to take all the trash out he was never in any danger of being sent home. Bonnie was kept around for the idea of "the little engine that could...could a nanny win this great job?' No. Wasn;t going to happen. The same way that there are quite a few on this season that will smiply perform the role of "extras". Top Chef same thing. Really good chefs on there this go around. But there are only 3-4 that can take it. Food Network Star is a little more open because they are looking for personality as much as cooking skill. Most chefs are not in front of a camera during dinner service!

Speaking of Next Food......they get a 6 episode try out. If it doesn't work that is it. If you noticed the last winner Amy Finley has all but vaporized. She filmed 6 episodes that played in Nov-Dec during a time when no one has their TV on! During all the Holiday specials she was never included. Guy Fieri is everywhere. David Bromstad from Design Star is all over the place. Amy Finley? Not so much. I think she bombed.

Anyway, I feel that the shows are structured as I said above. Just my opinion. They can only cast from those who apply......I think most would be scared off of Top Chef. You will never see a Waffle House cook on there.

Does Bobby remind anyone of Bubba from Forrest Gump, you know of the infamous Bubba Gump Shrimp company?

I missed the first episode. Has Gordon made anyone cry, wet his/her pants, or shake uncontrollably? Go Gordon, God I love that man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullymom;2890490;
    My feeling on the casting is this. On all of the cooking shows Top Chef Next Food network Star...they cast about 6 that could actually win it. The rest are filler. There are maybe three or four on this season of HK can win. The rest will be dismissed in due course. I felt that Rock was the winner all the way. Even when he had to take all the trash out he was never in any danger of being sent home. Bonnie was kept around for the idea of "the little engine that could...could a nanny win this great job?' No. Wasn;t going to happen. The same way that there are quite a few on this season that will smiply perform the role of "extras". Top Chef same thing. Really good chefs on there this go around. But there are only 3-4 that can take it. Food Network Star is a little more open because they are looking for personality as much as cooking skill. Most chefs are not in front of a camera during dinner service!

Speaking of Next Food......they get a 6 episode try out. If it doesn't work that is it. If you noticed the last winner Amy Finley has all but vaporized. She filmed 6 episodes that played in Nov-Dec during a time when no one has their TV on! During all the Holiday specials she was never included. Guy Fieri is everywhere. David Bromstad from Design Star is all over the place. Amy Finley? Not so much. I think she bombed.

Anyway, I feel that the shows are structured as I said above. Just my opinion. They can only cast from those who apply......I think most would be scared off of Top Chef. You will never see a Waffle House cook on there.
    I love Guy's three, count 'em, three shows. Always try and watch Drive-ins and Dives and his other two are good too. He's a real natural. I also like David Bromstadt's "Color" show. He's actually a half way decent designer and I like the way he does personal paintings for his clients that tie in with the designs, but who, I query, who is Amy Finley???????

FORT Newbie

Despite that crazy Brooklyn accent, I think I'm already rooting for Rosann. At least she knew how to take a leadership position (albeit halfway through a service and at a point when things were already really messed up). She seems to have her head on straight and according to Gordon's tasting of her signature dish she knows how to cook/season her food (which is more than you can say for some contestants this season!).

I really hated Jason, maybe even more than Bobby (who I think pissed everyone off by talking himself up and then leaving his team in the lurch). That whole "the only time I'll lose to a women is in an ironing contest!" thing and the "I can't wait to win so I'll have pockets full of money and have to fight off women with a STICK!" comment really left me hoping Gordon will throw a chicken breast at his face (or maybe we'll get lucky and he'll set himself on fire). Not to mention he was OUTSIDE SMOKING during a service - an unforgivable sin if you ask me.

It does seem like there's a much more distinct lack of talent this season (especially if we compare it to Top Chef, which many of you have), but we have to consider it may just be a shift in producing.

Most people have said that in all the previous seasons they could spot the winner within a few episodes (I know I could). So maybe they are just adjusting the story arcs so that it doesn't seem as obvious to us. I wouldn't be surprised if the real contenders are shown to have talent/leadership much later in the season (or even at strategic times) rather than immediately as in previous seasons.

[QUOTE...but who, I query, who is Amy Finley???????[/QUOTE]

She won the last Next Food Network Star as the "Gourmet Next Door". I think her food was probably pretty good, but she always seemed so uncomfortable in front of the cameras.

I think I caught part of one of her six episodes. It just wasn't fun to watch.

You would think these people would after learning they made it on the show, master Risotto prior to coming on the show. It's not that hard to do.

You WOULD think that, wouldn't you?

I mean, after the first couple of seasons (if these people have ever seen/heard of this show at ALL, that is), purely out of self-defense, you would think they'd learn how to cook it before they arrived in Hell's Kitchen.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast