+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 4/1 Premiere Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/1 Premiere Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;2887735;
    I wasn't sure if I was watching "Hells Kitchen" or "One who flew over the Cuckoos nest." Its like someone backed up the short bus to a mental ward and loaded up all the patients.
    Ugggh -- really!
    Were Eddie (the kinda weird-looking short guy) and Aaron (the fat guy who was always crying until he got sent to the hospital) that much of a ratings draw that they had to fill this season's cast with short-bus specials?

I didn't see the whole episode yet, but I did take a break in the stuff I was doing to watch the credits, and parts of the show here and there. I noticed, in addition to the proliferation of sideshow types, several Bonnie lookalikes. So I'm guessing that the other ratings ploy will be the "panty parades" in the dorm?
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-02-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

I skipped last season because I am not all that into this show. Having been away for a season and totally into Top Chef I am more baffled than ever.

This show is very odd. I would like to see the mission statement.

The contestants have little experience in this industry. They cook an uninspiring meal they did not plan. Risotto is always on the menu as is something en croute; beef Wellington has stepped aside for a new dish. These dishes had their popularity in the 70's. All the "diners" arrive at once. At some point all "diners" leave "disgusted" in a mass exodus. No one is able to get an entire meal out because Ramsey tosses them in the bin. Gordon remains furious the entire season. What is this all about anyway?

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

I believe, and this is a guess, that the risotto is to test them. Risotto requires a lot of attention. In a line, it would be tough to perfect, although you can par-cook it, cool it quickly and finish it at the last minute.

The diners, although I've never seen this admitted to anywhere, appear to be and are believed to be actors who go there for a free meal and act all put out. The whole thing is really a set up to highlight his temper, although he does seem to drag out one decent person each season. I've read that Cliff still works at, The Green Valley Ranch.

This is more about entertainment, than food. I know I have a signature dish in my repertoire that's not scallops with white chocolate. And I'm a mom from MI!
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Dom wasn't all that great to begin with. Furthermore, his culinary background is almost non-existant. I'm not surprised with his ouster.

FORT Fogey

I absolutely get that the diners are cast. I know it is for entertainment, as well. I would love to hear the creators talk about what their vision was. It is a squirrelly concept, at best.

I don't like risotto, just saying.

I thought it was funny that Gordon disguised himself in the beginning!

Do they ever explain why Jason didn't get the "be in the kitchen" memo? I mean, didn't he wonder why everyone else was gone?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;2887735;
    I wasn't sure if I was watching "Hells Kitchen" or "One who flew over the Cuckoos nest." Its like someone backed up the short bus to a mental ward and loaded up all the patients.
    oh myyyyyy lmaooooooooooooooooooo

PS Notice how several members of this yr's group resemble some of last yr's?

The buffoon(s), the African Amer "reg (not classically trained) gal, the cocky, obnoxious boors, the few gals with fairly decent skills......etc

Quote Originally Posted by CAdreamin;2888560;
    I thought it was funny that Gordon disguised himself in the beginning!
    I loved that, but I caught on right away because the camera was on him too much. The make-up was good, though. Even the wig.

the pressure is on so Jason takes a smoke break. I was soooo hoping GR would walk out there and catch him.

Finally caught the whole show.

Bobby . . . Oh boy. To me, it's worth it for him to hang around just to see what happens when he FINALLY pushes Gordo totally over the edge. For him to push, push and PUSH to get himself nominated as Captain (seemed like he almost DEMANDED it, really), then effectively abdicate his position later on by choosing to not step in when and where he was needed --- when he clearly could have and was being ASKED for help --- is just absolutely inexcuseable, to me.

The Black Gordon Ramsay?

Yeah. Right.

The BGR lucked out because Dominic was up for elim, and Dom just happened to be a hair worse as a cook than The BGR was at throwing his team under the bus.

Jason? Please. I agree with tango. I was PRAYING Ramsay would catch him mid-drag. Didn't happen. Too bad.

Oh, well, his day is coming, too.

Louross surprised me. He jumped in, started swinging and gave it his best shot.

I wonder does he pluck, wax or thread his eyebrows?

Jen? Needs to HUSH. I'll give her credit for figuring out the risotto and getting it out, though.

And Rosann? The New Yorker? The one who stepped in when Ramsay told her to after Vanessa noodled out and Ramsay replaced her as Captain? Good for her that she had one of the only two edible dishes from the tasting. I can see how her personality might be a little grating, but she was in there pitching and calling shots (unlike Bobby), so I give her props for that.

Vanessa? Boy, did she wimp out. I guess in that situation, it's easy to be terrified (I sure would be with Ramsay yelling, cursing and throwing chicken!), but geeze, I wish she'd found her feet and started guiding things on her team.

Barbie (sorry, don't recall her given name, right now), needs to get her mind OFF eyeshadow and lip gloss and into the kitchen. She looked pretty, but she also looked like she checked her brain at the door. Nothing wrong with looking good and being pretty, but to me, if you're going to cook, cook, and worry about being a Top Model wannabe AFTER your shift in the kitchen is over.

At least the women had the sense to study the book with the menus in it.

Ramsay's April Fool stunt WAS funny! The looks on the cheftestants' faces were PRICELESS!

Worst opening night ever in Hell's Kitchen?

After seeing that show, I believe it.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast