+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom - Season 2

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Oh yeah.......I'd really want to go to bed with Tom...... ewwwwwwww!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular

I Second That Notion! ewwwwww!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Oh yeah.......I'd really want to go to bed with Tom...... ewwwwwwww!!!!
    I don't think Maveno meant it that way, but that was my first, hilariously grossed-out, reaction to reading that phrase!

Sorry, Maveno...

Hey Look! I finally figured out how to use those squirrelly, little, grinning dust-mite things. I'm so proud! (someone kill me...)
    Last edited by Magic Mayo; 06-22-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Ewww you guys are just so graphic...........cool

Isn't Tom a little bit old to be competing in this kind of a competition. He says he's the smartest? But he just finished culinary school? Where is all the experience that is definitely required to fulfill the winning role? I can see him hanging around for a bit longer but not as the winner overall.

And I really agree it's just not Hip to be Drip. Particularly in a kitchen around food that is going to be served and eaten by someone other than you.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Why doesn't he wear a sweatband? Why doesn't Chef Ramsay MAKE him?

Also... no one said anything in the kitchen about Tom's hacking at a wine bottle, and then pouring from a broken bottle, into the food? How about broken glass eating through the diner's intestines... anyone??

I'd take sweat drops over blood drops any day!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Anymore, I've become addicted to these cooking competitions. I've also become more squeamish about going out to dinner.

Drippy Tom did not help. That was just disgusting. Between the exposes (Dateline, etc) and the cooking shows.....I'm uncomfortable with what may be going on in the kitchens.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Ewww you guys are just so graphic...........cool

Isn't Tom a little bit old to be competing in this kind of a competition. He says he's the smartest? But he just finished culinary school? Where is all the experience that is definitely required to fulfill the winning role? I can see him hanging around for a bit longer but not as the winner overall.
    Dave Martin (Top Chef) was in IT when the bottom fell out of the dot-com market. He went to culinary school at that point and became a very competent chef, making it to an executive chef position, operating a freelance catering business, and competing in the Top Chef finals at 40. Therefore, there is no reason age should be a factor. Competence and passion are what it's all about.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

FORT Regular

Ground Glass In The Foie Gras...Gratis!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Why doesn't he wear a sweatband? Why doesn't Chef Ramsay MAKE him?

Also... no one said anything in the kitchen about Tom's hacking at a wine bottle, and then pouring from a broken bottle, into the food? How about broken glass eating through the diner's intestines... anyone??

I'd take sweat drops over blood drops any day!
    Actually I think I did mention somewhere, back along on this forum, about that broken bottle. I was horrified watching that fool whacking at that glass bottle, that way. Then he says, "It looks alot easier in the movies"!

Aw Jeez, where do I begin?

First: Any restaurant that uses wine, either in cooking or serving, is going to provide a way to open it! Asking the maitre'd/wait staff would have produced a corkscrew, you can bet on it!

Second: No, No. No! You cannot saber the top rim off any ol' wine bottle! From what I understand (from someone who's done it), it works only with champagne bottles, as they are constructed differently. The cork rim is "knocked" off the end, not "broken" off and all jaggedy. The initial pressurized flow of champagne, when the bottle is held correctly, washes away any tiny glass remnants, and it's then poured.

Third: WHAT are you thinking there, "Gangsta"? It's called "saber/sabering" for a reason! It's a well-placed blade slide along the glass towards the end, not held over a trash can and whacked aghast with an industrial-sized meat cleaver! For Gawd Sakes, you are not attempting to cut Gourmet Steaks from Godzilla!

Fourth: Who in their right mind, would pour wine directly from a broken, shattered end of a glass bottle into a pot of food? That's awful enough, but without even straining it into a bowl first? In a kitchen in the company of Gordan Ramsey AND Jean Philippe, no less?!!! Does this have anything to do with your "supposed" street-fighting gangsta experience?!

Fifth: I'd give up a whole year's worth of chocolate chip cookies, just to get the visage of Top-Knot Stephen's reaction to that scene if he were standing right there in that kitchen at that moment! (honestly...so would you!)

Sixth: Tommyknockers, would you PLEASE just...get off our Planet?

Tom is a gross disgusting sweaty weasel. It makes me ill to see him in the kitchen sweating over food like that. He cannot cook and his personality sucks. I hope he is gone soon. He should have left this week. He always has that stupid look on his face when he is picked. Like it is a big surprise. You suck buddy. Get out!!!

FORT Fogey
    He is not a favorite of mine either. Ramsey is a fitness fanatic and I do not see him favoring Tom over another unless he really excels. I am not saying it would even be a conscience decision by Ramsey. Our bias often enters the picture on multiple levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    I'm definitely not a fan of Toms. But, I really think he should have been excused from the kitchen duty after he burned himself. Even if it isn't "that bad", a burn is a burn.. and it really frickin' hurts!! I can see not being able to keep up with the kitchen as a layer or two of skin is bubbling off.
    An injury is an injury... anyone who is hurt should be excused to assess the damage. If they're alright to return, great.. if not, then send'm to the ER, or take them to bed...whatever is needed.
    I guess it was on the show thread, not seeing it here, but I tend to agree with the poster who's identity escapes me at present who spoke along the lines or Ramsay having taken an assessive look at the burn and relegating it to minor status based on his experiences.

Of the two, I'd trust Ramsay's assessment over Tom's. I've burnt myself multiple times over the years on industrial hot plates I figure are similar or higher in temperature to the heat sources in that kitchen, as well as with boiling solvents and acids. I don't get the sense of a second degree (or worse) burn being involved where Tom was concerned.

If anything, watching I believed Tom's reaction worked against him. The drama queen (king?) label Ramsay bestowed on him seemed wholy appropriate. He tried to milk that burn far too heavily in my opinion, and the way he did it indicated that it wasn't a serious burn to me. Rather than backing up against a bench and moaning about his burn, I'd have expected him to head directly for something like water, ice, or salve if he himself believed it was serious, rather than moaning for effect. I'd expect a person who believed they'd suffered a severe enough injury to remove themself from the game to immediately seek the nearest treatment available without pausing to hand out multiple explanations.

He didn't seek treatment, just moaned about needing it; telling me in effect that he didn't require medic or clinic.

I personally think he believed he'd get the same 'attagirl, brave little trooper' treatment that Heather had gotten before returning as a hero. But he's no Heather. She kept working verbally even after Ramsay had officialy pulled her, aiding her team. Tom quit working and distracted others from their work with his overkill self assessment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast