+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chef Ramsay says women can't cook

Chef Ramsay says women can't cook

LONDON (AFP) - Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay is risking the anger of some of his female fans by suggesting that "huge numbers" of British women "can't cook to save their lives".

Michelin-starred Ramsay, 38, said that while more men are learning to cook, many women are living on ready-made meals -- and are more likely to know how to prepare cocktails than dinner.

The chef, back on British television with a new show called "The F Word", said: "I've been visiting ladies' houses up and down the country with our film crew, and you would be amazed how little cooking the girls are doing.

"When they eat, they cheat. It is ready meals and pre-prepared meals all the way," he told Radio Times magazine.

"Seriously, there are huge numbers of young women out there who know how to mix cocktails but can't cook to save their lives, whereas men are finding their way into the kitchen in ever growing numbers."

"Trust me, I am only telling you what I have discovered."

The Daily Telegraph newspaper said Ramsay's characteristically outspoken views might come as a surprise to his wife Tana, who cooks for their four children in a separate kitchen at home.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051024...levisionramsay

What's the big deal, this is true in the States too!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

It's all about the interpretation of the word "can't".

Ramsey means "don't know how", with the emphasis being strictly on what the current generation knows or doesn't know. He'd be crossing a line only if he meant "are inherently unable to", with the emphasis being on absolute capability if the learning was there.

In other words, he's NOT saying that a female can't be a trained chef. Not even remotely. He (with his usual foot-in-mouth insensitivity about how people will interpret his statements) is blathering about the fact that a bunch of British housewives haven't been spending their times pouring over cookbooks and learning the lessons from their mothers his old fashioned heart might desire. It's still an uncouth statement, mind you, but not incorrect.

Heck, if you go by some sources, a lot of British women could NEVER cook. The poor ones kept food simple or ate at the pub with their husbands, and the rich ones hired a French cook.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    I agree Krom. This statement is true. Women are still the main cooks of a household and most hold jobs. Who has the time to have creative cooking as a hobby? I was a stay at home mom so developed skill in this arena but when I went back to work, corners were cut.

Ah, the headline is misleading. It's true that many PEOPLE including women (who let's face it are often still 'in charge of' the family meals) rely upon frozen and canned foods to get by.

Ramsay's told a woman on his show (Kitchen Nightmares) that she is a good cook, in fact, he suggested she might think about giving up another planned career and give cooking a try. He said she was a natural. I thought he was actually quite kind to her and took to her personality.

So really because of his eye for talent she became a chef. I can't recall her name offhand! A very quiet hard working young woman. I think Ramsay has no problem with anyone - as long as they work as hard as they're able.

Being a chef is a masculine profession. I understand that famous chefs make tons of cash and have a glamourous life, and high end gourmet food is an art form...still....the job of cooking all night in a kitchen for dozens of patrons is manual labor. Think about it.

Maybe women are not as attracted to the physical part of the job. I am sure the creative side suits females well.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by taffina View Post
    Being a chef is a masculine profession.
    It is? How?

I understand that famous chefs make tons of cash and have a glamourous life, and high end gourmet food is an art form...still....the job of cooking all night in a kitchen for dozens of patrons is manual labor. Think about it.

Maybe women are not as attracted to the physical part of the job. I am sure the creative side suits females well.

jmo
    Historically, women have held labor intensive positions far more often than men. The elite of females--the wives of privilege, the courtesans (who arguably are still doing something physical to earn their way even if it is only in short bursts), etc.--might get by on being treated as pretty but useless objects, to be doted on, served and spoiled, but most of the people actually doing the labor BEHIND that system of organized spoiling, the servants, were women as well.

As for the conceit that women are more inclined to be creative, while historical study supports the fact that many women have been encouraged towards creativity as part of "lady-like" behavior, it also must be noted that the professional ranks of artists, actors and most kinds of musicians were, for many centuries limited to men. A woman might be just as talented a painter as a man, for example, and never be allowed proper training or exhibition. But that's a side point. The more essential point here is that these distinctions were all artificial--the one about women being more creative, the one about "ladies" not doing anything physical, and the one about only men being capable of doing anything meaningful on a "professional" level.

That's not to say there aren't genuine gender differences. One needs only to watch a season of The Apprentice to see them in action. But those are issues surrounding social interactivity, not inherent capability in anything as broad as physicality or creativity.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    Women are still the main cooks of a household and most hold jobs. Who has the time to have creative cooking as a hobby?
    I often think FORTers are too PC, so I was pleasantly surprised that so many posters are defending instead of taking offense to Ramsey's comments.

Premium Member
    I wasn't in the least bit offended by his comments. It just sounds like an observation to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Heck, if you go by some sources, a lot of British women could NEVER cook. The poor ones kept food simple or ate at the pub with their husbands, and the rich ones hired a French cook.
    Oh, so very true. I grew up being fed by assorted British woman and now have a deeply ingrained fear of eating other people's food.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast