+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chef Ramsay says women can't cook

Quote Originally Posted by taffina View Post
    Being a chef is a masculine profession.
    Since when. A good cook is a good cook regardless of gender.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Since when. A good cook is a good cook regardless of gender.
    Do you really think Ramsay disagrees? He's done away with guy after guy on this show.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Newbie
    I think Chef has some issues with male superiority-- as do most men in the cooking field who go through the brigade system and French cooking schools. He is not averse to women cooks, though. On the Kitchen Knightmares show, he is more benign and helpful and he encouraged a part time female chef to be full time one episode and in another, he acknowledged a black female soul food chef as a great natural chef and was eating her food heartedly. As to his comments about young women in Britain not knowing how to cook--this is true of both Britain and the US. Many young women and working women in general do not develop their cooking skills because of time pressures and the ease of processed foods and fast foods. Culinary abominations like Hamburger helper look good to a harried young mother who must cook dinner the minute she gets done with work. The one exception to this in the US is the south, where women of all ages take a little more pride in their cooking skills. During the work week, southern women may use the same convenience foods and fast foods but on weekends and holidays, they will take the extra effort to cook tradtional foods from scratch. Unfortunately, the tradtional foods (like greens cooked in pork stock or the various recipes for pan fried chicken) are sometimes not healthy. Still, many women are preserving these and some more healthy recipes and people down here really do say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

I can't cook for crap...so I usually tend to keep my mouth shut. hehe

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemd View Post
    The one exception to this in the US is the south, where women of all ages take a little more pride in their cooking skills. During the work week, southern women may use the same convenience foods and fast foods but on weekends and holidays, they will take the extra effort to cook tradtional foods from scratch.
    I agree with your post except for this part. I don't believe that this is only true of southern women. I try and cook real meals from scratch when I can (I live in the midwest), and rely on convenience foods when my time is limited, and I think women from all parts of the country probably do too. It's a matter of trying to balance all the different parts of our busy lives and doing the best we can.

Black Belt Beauty KarateGirl1387's Avatar
    Yeah, I think it's strange how women have been looked upon as doing all the domestic chores (cooking, cleaning, etc.) in the past/present and all of the great chefs in the world you hear about are all men. I can understand why a lot of women, especially moms, are not cooking up homemade gourmet meals nowadays because, like others have said, women have their careers to focus on and a bunch of other things to juggle.
    "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234