+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 6/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    First let me say I will continue to watch this show because I am hooked on the genre of reality TV.

This show is just not good. The editing is choppy. We are not able to see the problems they are having with food preparation and where things are going awry or how the labor is divided. Most of these meals are prepped ahead and their job is to do the final step. I would like to see how they are failing and the menu. Instead we see kidney stones and food hurled in the trash.

No restaurant experiences an entire dining room seated at the same time, so having some wait 2 hours for dinner is believable in the best of circumstances. Most kitchens hate large parties because it puts a strain on the kitchen in normal conditions.

They show us very little of the contestants and their relationship with each other. OK, so maybe that is not the point but caring about them is part of what creates interest.

Though Ramsey showed a softer side at dinner with the red team he is basically one dimentional. An entire season of him screaming and bleeping is going to get old fast.

One has to leave logic at the door for most reality TV but this show asks way too much of us.
    Last edited by Dogbat; 06-07-2005 at 08:51 AM.

I really do love this show.

Ramsey telling that first customer off was priceless....I loved the "are you oblivious to what is going on behind me"....I hate customers like that....sure he was waiting a LONG time...but what did he think they were doing in the kitchen playing Cribbage?? Geez! I hate that!!

SO - who will be mouthing off to Ramsay next week? I'm putting my money on Andrew. I loved when he was talking to Scott (sous chef) and trying to bad mouth Mary Ellen and Scott just said "That's not what I saw."
    That was great! I do agree also, Andrew will likely be the one to mouth off.

I was surprised that Ramsey gave Chris the honors of picking the nominees for elimination.....he seemed to have it out for him for being an "executive chef" and for not coming right away at "roll call". Although I guess he was the one who seemed to actually take charge.

I actually can't wait for next week....is that sad or what?? But I really enjoy this show.
    I hope that it is doing well enough that it doesn't get cancelled.

I need to add that reading the Show Discussion thread was awesome.....I love the play by play and the comments!!
    ---------------------
    opps....

FORT Regular
    It's only been two episodes, give it some time. I think we'll begin to see more of the personal stuff as the show progresses and there are less contestants.

I love the show. Sure, some of it is a little over-the-top and staged, but what reality show isn't these days? It makes for great entertainment. I just can't get enough of Chef Ramsey telling disgruntled patrons who have the nerve to come back to the kitchen and complain to basically go f*ck themselves.

If Dewberry would've stayed put and took his licks instead of running off crying like a baby, he'd probably still be on the show. I can't understand what Jeff's deal is with the kidney stones. If he's not medically competent to perform his duties on the show, he should go to a doctor or hospital and get the damn things taken care of already. It's not fair to the rest of his team.

Throwing food away, yes, it's a colossal waste, but it's industry wide...go to your local KFC and see how much chicken they toss out at the end of the night so I'm not going to fault Ramsay for that. Besides, it's all worked into the cost of your dining experience. I read a lot of restaurant insider sites, and between that well known FoodTV chef who loves to sexually harass the female waitstaff at one of his NYC restaurants and the other FoodNetwork star who lost his show due to his insufferable attitude, well, Ramsay doesn't seem all that bad to me. He wants food artistry, he's a chef, go figure.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I read a lot of restaurant insider sites, and between that well known FoodTV chef who loves to sexually harass the female waitstaff at one of his NYC restaurants and the other FoodNetwork star who lost his show due to his insufferable attitude, well, Ramsay doesn't seem all that bad to me. He wants food artistry, he's a chef, go figure.
    Please share if you can.

I don't want to derail this thread, but anyone wants the scoop, PM me
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhippetcrazy
    I was surprised that Ramsey gave Chris the honors of picking the nominees for elimination.....he seemed to have it out for him for being an "executive chef" and for not coming right away at "roll call". Although I guess he was the one who seemed to actually take charge.
    This is the key reason that I've continued to watch the show, well, besides the fun phrases that Ramsey uses. Ramsey does (harshly!) criticize incompetance but he seems to be fair in rewarding outstanding performance. That's a tough environment to be in but whoever comes out the other end will be richly rewarded. And I bet the true respect of Chef Ramsey will be one of the biggest rewards they will get.

And please let more customers come up to the kitchen to complain. That's my favorite part!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy
    And please let more customers come up to the kitchen to complain. That's my favorite part!
    I like that too though if I had to wait hours for my food, I'd be complaining too.

I watched for the first time last night -- both hours. The first hour I found really stressful to watch (probably recalling my own stress at trying to get projects out under pressure and on deadline). The second hour I found less so, so I guess I'm adapting.

I'd like to see more of the training, too. It's hard to imagine a lot of these people turning into super-chefs in a few weeks' time.

One thing that bothers me is that Ramsay is throwing away all this "bad" food because it's not up to his "standards", but then at the end of the night, he lists all the food that went out that the customers hated. You have to be consistent! If he was really throwing away all the bad food, then there should be no negative reviews from the customers based on the flavor. Length of time waiting and quality of service should be all that comes from the front.

That said, I do like the show and will certainly continue to watch. I'll miss Dewberry (mostly cause I love all the names you all give him!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    This show is just not good. The editing is choppy. We are not able to see the problems they are having with food preparation and where things are going awry or how the labor is divided. Most of these meals are prepped ahead and their job is to do the final step. I would like to see how they are failing and the menu.

I feel the same way. I guess the show isn't really geared towards food lovers. I still can't tell if the food looks good or bad. I don't know what makes a good beef Wellington, and I'm guessing that a decent number of viewers don't know what it is at all. We got a hint of education with the squid cleaning segment, but they were pretty vague on how they were going to cook it. Stuffed squid sounds OK, but how does a 3-star chef make it?

But maybe the reason they don't show any of this is that there is too much juicy stuff going on elsewhere. Who cares if the crust on the Wellington isn't golden when Dewberry is having a meltdown and Jeff is doubled-over with painful kidney stones?

Something else that I thought was interesting was that the balance of the teams seems pretty poor. It seems that the only promising people on the Red Team are Elsie and Chris, while everyone on the Blue Team seems to have at least some skill.

One other comment, if people aren't supposed to go to the kitchen, maybe the maitre'd should stop them from going. He was right there next to the customers. Maybe he should just nudge them and say, "You know, you really don't want to do this." But then we wouldn't get to see them skewered.

+ Reply to Thread