+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Carolann.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    I really enjoyed this show, and I don't think it's far-fetched at all. Working in a kitchen is pure, unbridled mayhem, and I've had my orders screwed up enough times to appreciate Chef Ramsay's expectations of excellence. Hey, if you're going to do something, why on earth would you do it half-heartedly?

Besides, if you can't handle the atmosphere, you shouldn't be owning a restaurant . . . and I don't get people who just *want* things without earning them. I'm not meaning to be mean-spirited--it just won't work out.

Anyway, all members of the Chef's fan club, load yourselves up into Texie's bus and make your way to Lucy's article on the pre-show press release. Ramsay Promises Real Drama in "Hell's Kitchen" Obviously they were attempting to do damage control and show that Chef Ramsay has some good qualities.

Very cool show . . . I'm in for next week and can't wait to read the recap!
    count me in the fan club! i would LOVE to dine at his 3 star restaurant in London.. i bet it would be up there on par with the other 3 stars in France.. that sort of maniacal perfection he expects in the kitchen usually translates to delicious meals for patrons, so i'm all for it!

i don't think he's putting on an act at all..that is just the way he is. i saw some episodes of the BBC show and couldn't wait to see the US version. i don't see any master 3 star chefs in this bunch, but maybe he can mold someone into a halfway decent chef.

love the show and will be tuning in next week!!

I loved this show.As soon as Ramsey tasted the first dish and spit it out I was hooked

I would kill to eat at one of his establishments! If anyone ever wants a glimpse to what real chefs are like, read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I love this show also. The moment he said cook me your signature dish in this amount of time I was like, oh geez, talk about being thrown right into the fire.

I do wonder about the customers though, he didn't treat the customers the way you'd think customers should be treated. I have to agree with MiaK, I think the customers were compensated in some way or just simply hired to be customers.

Whatever, I did enjoy this show.

Quite a motley group of contestants, but entertaining nonetheless. I did love Ramsay dissing the bimbos and the crack about the plastic surgery.

I think I'm in for the duration.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I liked the show, however had Ramsey shoved a plate at mt stomach the plat would come back as a frizbee at this head.

But that's just me IMHO

I think the customers had some sort of compensation too. What paying customer would stick around for 2 hours with no food? If I were one of those unfortunate souls that stuck around for 3 hours with no entree and then told to go home, I would want them to compensate me for my time.

To each their own, but I'm kind of surprised that Ramsay has some fans on the board. After he went on about how great restaurants need both great food and great service, he makes his customers wait for his food for hours, and then tells them to f#@! off, and later to go home hungry. His policy of redoing the entire order if one item is sub-standard is admirable... *in a trained kitchen*, but it's ridiculous to expect a bunch of untrained, inexperienced lackeys on their first night to pull it off. It's like he's begging to torture his customers. It seems very hypocritical of him; I doubt he tells people at his 3-star restaurant to f#@! off. This plus the shoving the plate into people's chests seems like staged shock value to me.

I'm sure a professional kitchen is a very high-stress place, but I can't bring myself to respect Ramsay. Thomas Keller, considered by many to be the best chef in America, is known to be humble, mild-mannered and gracious both in and out of the kitchen. A friend of mine went to The French Laundry, and got to visit the kitchen, and he actually posed for a picture with her. This is a far cry from Ramsay's attitude.

As a self-confessed foodie, the thing I find most disappointing is that the show doesn't express any love of food. We barely get an idea of what's on the menu. We don't get to see any of the food close enough to tell if it looks tasty. We don't see much about the process of making it. What makes it good? What makes it bad? A person not familiar with risotto wouldn't know why Elsie's first dish didn't measure up. What about Jimmy's food was dog-food like? The arguments and the insults are kind of entertaining up to a certain point, but the show seems to forget what it's all about -- *the food*!

I thought the show was hilarious and I am definitely hooked. The only thing that I did have a problem with was the way that Ramsey treated the customers when they tried to complain. Considering that he had just told his trainees about the importance of good food and good service you would think that he would use the same interpretation of the word good as it applies to good service as he does when it applies to good food. His standards did not seem so high when it came to service.
    There is no way that you can convince me that this was a regular restaurant situation with customers who were just going out to dinner. For one thing Ramsey would not risk his reputation with chefs that he had never even met, even if he was acting as quality control. Secondly, most people would not wait 2 hours to be fed (they would be fed up long before then). Most people would also not meekly return to their table to wait some more after they were verbally abused by the chef. Finally, since we saw very few people actually get to eat, why were there so many evaluattion cards? I thought most of the customers were chased away by the Maitre'D. You would think that after being told that they waited for 2 hours in order to go away hungry and then asked to fill in an evaluation card, that the language of the comments would have been as blue as Ramsay's.
    I also wonder about the competence of the the contestants. It would appear that the contestant selection process did not include any kind of cooking test. The only 2 to satisfy Ramsey with their "signature dish" were not professional chefs. While working in the kitchen it did not look like any of them could follow a recipe. Just how were these people chosen. When the show was announced I rather expected that the contestants would all be highly qualified chefs, not the army recruits from Stripes.
    Having said all that, it does make it more interesting in a car wreckage sort of way that they all seem to be dunderheads. I do find Ramsay quite amusing, but that may wear thin in a few weeks. I hope that Ramsay can keep his abuse fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by howie
    As a self-confessed foodie, the thing I find most disappointing is that the show doesn't express any love of food. We barely get an idea of what's on the menu. We don't get to see any of the food close enough to tell if it looks tasty. We don't see much about the process of making it. What makes it good? What makes it bad? A person not familiar with risotto wouldn't know why Elsie's first dish didn't measure up. What about Jimmy's food was dog-food like? The arguments and the insults are kind of entertaining up to a certain point, but the show seems to forget what it's all about -- *the food*!
    Welcome to FORT, Howie! I agree with your post up to this point.

This first show was obviously meant to set the tone for Gordon's temperment and how fast-paced and tough the restaurant business is. I really do not believe the show intended to focus on the food, but I do believe we're going to see that in upcoming episodes. (If we don't, please feel free to come back and give me a big ol' raspberry and tell me "I told ya so!")

And....... I don't need to know much about risotto to know that any food that doesn't fall off of the plate when you turn it upside-down is not quality.

+ Reply to Thread