+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I really enjoyed this show, and I don't think it's far-fetched at all. Working in a kitchen is pure, unbridled mayhem, and I've had my orders screwed up enough times to appreciate Chef Ramsay's expectations of excellence. Hey, if you're going to do something, why on earth would you do it half-heartedly?

Besides, if you can't handle the atmosphere, you shouldn't be owning a restaurant . . . and I don't get people who just *want* things without earning them. I'm not meaning to be mean-spirited--it just won't work out.

Anyway, all members of the Chef's fan club, load yourselves up into Texie's bus and make your way to Lucy's article on the pre-show press release. Ramsay Promises Real Drama in "Hell's Kitchen" Obviously they were attempting to do damage control and show that Chef Ramsay has some good qualities.

Very cool show . . . I'm in for next week and can't wait to read the recap!

I ended up watching, and even though there were a LOT of cringe-inducing moments, I suppose that was to be expected. I did enjoy it, though. I'll likely keep watching.

Not particularly fond of the "shoving the plate in people's stomachs", though.

I watched it, and will admit to liking it. Makes sense that the mom of 6 (3 her own, three step) would be best in the kitchen. Kids are finicky as they haen't destroyed their taste buds yet, and they want things fast, food not touching, and stuff that tastes good. It always surprised me that moms are #1 in the kitchen at home, and absent from professional cookery.

I loved the part where the Chef held up Elsie's risotto plate and it didn't move. Hilarious, who would want that?

I was reading up on Ramsay last night, and apparently, he has 85% of his staff since 1993 still working for him speaks for itself. The restaurant business is notoriously transient, and I'm not just talking dishwashers. He's tough but fair.

PS I forgot to add...the cursing? Standard Gordon...he won't let his kids watch any of his shows because of it
    Last edited by Texicana; 05-31-2005 at 10:36 AM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I'm thinking the people there were definitely PAID to be there. Just like audiences for talk shows and game shows. They fill up the audience and pay you anywhere between $40-50 a head. I know, because when I lived in LA it was a quick way to pick up cash. Or possibly it was just invite only, for the grand opening with the meal being free.

One thing I was noticing, was why didn't they have salads? That would have been an easy way to keep the diners satisfied. Instead of that girl standing around to make desserts, she could have been cranking out salads and soup, etc. I know they said they didn't even have their appetizers after an hour...I guess maybe salad isn't on his foo-foo menu!
    kitty-cats rule!

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=leeinsmyrna]I'm thinking the people there were definitely PAID to be there. Just like audiences for talk shows and game shows. They fill up the audience and pay you anywhere between $40-50 a head. I know, because when I lived in LA it was a quick way to pick up cash. Or possibly it was just invite only, for the grand opening with the meal being free.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see why they would volunteerly put their customers through such bad service without giving them something in return. Moreover, some of the customers seemed way too nice for such poor treatment (the two blonds who went up to talk to Ramsey, for example). I would've been p***ed off waiting two hours for a meal! Good show nonetheless- I want to see what happens next week!

I wasn't going to tune into this show...but found myself there and liking it...can't wait for next week!

Definately thought that he made the right decision as to who should go home....definately wasn't a team player...and that is the basis of all Hospitality business....need to be a team.

I have never heard of Ramsay...but I liked him...so I'll join you all on the fan bus!
    Very cool that he still has 85% of his staff since 93....thanks for that info Tex...
    ---------------------
    opps....

I think he is just doing the classic "boot camp" tactic of tearing em down to an equally low level and then build up the ones who survive it. I imagine once you have his trust, he is probably a great boss, but woe be the process to get there.

I'll be continuing to watch.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oculona
    I think he is showing off for his countrymen back home and trying to make a fool of Americans.
    I doubt his motivation is necessarily to make Americans look foolish. Have you ever seen his show "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" ? It was a 6 episode shot, airing here on BBC America, and each week was set in a different restaurant that, by location, ambiance, etc. should be doing o.k. but was, in fact, horrible. He puts the kitchen folks through hell...kind of like Supernanny, really...but with much more swearing. The whole thing was done in Britain, and, let me assure you, those people looked damned foolish.

Who got eliminated?

+ Reply to Thread