+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gordon Ramsay, Head Chef

Gordon Ramsay, Head Chef

GORDON RAMSAY (Head Chef on HELL’S KITCHEN)

Scottish by birth, Gordon Ramsay was raised in England after his parents moved south to Stratford-Upon-Avon. His first career break came while playing football for Oxford United, where he was spotted by a Glasgow Rangers scout in an F.A. youth club match. After completing trials he was signed by the Scottish champions at the age of 15. Three years later he had given up professional football and gone back to college to complete a course in hotel management.

Ramsay moved to London, where he joined Marco Pierre White in the early days of Harvey's in Wandsworth. After a couple of years Ramsay moved to Le Gavroche to work alongside chef Albert Roux. This was followed by three years of working in France in the kitchens of Guy Savoy and Joël Robuchon. Here he was able to enhance his expertise in classic French cooking.

In October 1993, Ramsay became chef of the newly opened Aubergine, where he won many accolades, including two Michelin stars within three years of opening.

Ramsay's first book, “Passion for Flavour,” was published by Conran Octopus in October 1996. His second book, “Passion for Seafood,” was published in May 1999. “A Chef for all Seasons” was published by Quadrille in September 2000, followed by “Just Desserts” in September 2001 and “Secrets” in 2003.

In 1998 at the age of 31, Ramsay set up his first wholly owned restaurant, Gordon Ramsay, on the former site of La Tante Claire in Chelsea. A year later he opened Pétrus with his protegé Marcus Wareing as Chef Patron, in St. James's. Within seven months it had won a Michelin star. In October 2001 Ramsay opened Gordon Ramsay in Claridge's, which gained a Michelin star in 2003.

In June 2000 Ramsay won the Chef of the Year award at the Cateys. His restaurant Gordon Ramsay was voted the Top Restaurant in UK with a score of 28 in the 2001 London Zagat Survey, and was also named as the best Fine Dining Restaurant in the 2001 Harden's Guide. These ratings continued in 2002 and 2003. On January 19, 2001, the restaurant Gordon Ramsay gained its third Michelin star in the Great Britain & Ireland Red Guide.

In October 2002, Gordon Ramsay Holdings Limited took over the entire food and beverage operation at The Connaught Hotel, a member of the Savoy Group. In January 2004, MENU at The Connaught won its first Michelin star.

During 2003, for the second year running, Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road was named among the five best restaurants in the world by a poll run by Restaurant Magazine. Also in 2003, Gordon Ramsay Holdings opened The Savoy Grill, which achieved its first Michelin star. This was followed by the opening of Boxwood Café at The Berkeley alongside the new Michelin star Pétrus, which had moved from St. James's. Finally, Banquette launched at The Savoy in December 2003.

In May 2004, Ramsay headed the series “Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares,” a series of four one-hour programs where Ramsay attempted to rescue restaurants around Britain in need of immediate assistance. The series was launched simultaneously with Ramsay's recipe book “Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Heaven,” published by the Penguin Group. This was followed by ITV's “Hell's Kitchen,” where Ramsay was given two weeks to train celebrities into Michelin-star chefs.

Even though he pretty much swears non-stop and hardly ever seems to be in a good mood, I find myself oddly attracted to him. I guess I'm a sucker for a guy who can cook

In addition to "Kitchen Nightmares," he's had two other shows (it's actually the same show, just different seasons): "Ramsay's Boiling Point" and "Beyond Boiling Point" on BBC America. "Beyond Boiling Point" is on at 10 p.m. every Tuesday night on BBCA in case anyone is interested in seeing who Gordon Ramsay is before this new show airs.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

In the words of Gordon Ramsay:

"@%&$ You! @&^(ing FOX is going to @&^(ing bleep and cut me until I look like one big long &@#!"

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Obviously, his resturant has a sound proof kitchen or he would lose a star or two........and I think, yes I am old enough to remember, his very promising football career was cut short by an injury......

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    He is hard as nails on his staff, but as one of them said on Beyond Boiling Points "Yeah, he's scary, but if you're doing your job right, you have nothing to worry about." He demands perfection, and his Michelin Stars are proof he's doing something right.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I love Gordon Ramsay. Apparently a really great chef, and he makes great TV, yet it is not making fun about anyone (as much of reality TV is), but rather trying to make people achieve more. I watch Boiling Point and Kitchen Nightmares, love them both.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I saw him once on "Faking It" (British Version) when they were training a hot dog vendor to become a gourmet cook... It was awesome, he really cracked the whip, I'm sure he'll make many big men cry .... can't wait to see this show, I think it'll be full of nice juicy drama!!
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

I really hope I can catch this show.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I love him...you can't have mediocrity in your kitchen, unless you're Rocco DiSpirito.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I like that he has overcome a major handicap to become a chef....that is being British......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast