Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for those who think AE is wrong for this show

FORT Newbie

A question for those who think AE is wrong for this show

I'm sorry but this is what i dont understand and its something Vicki constantly points out.. it's not like the show is a boot camp for the kids to join the mob. The show doesnt show her rolling dead bodies into a cellar or doing anything other than what a single mom does with her kids. Work, cook, fight etc. Yet people act like its a day in the life of the mob.
    I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but this whole "Why does AE have a show to glorify organized crime" is really nonsense. Its a reality tv show that happens to have descendants of John Gotti. Its not John Gottis family that got a reality show to keep his memory alive. Sopranos to me is 100 times worse because it is a show about organized crime. Someone is dieing at the end of each episode on the Sopranos, not "Growing up Gotti." Did people have problems that a druggie and an alcoholic was getting a smash hit show on MTV to glorify his life? Or a gold digger like Anna Nicole has a show dedicate to see how aloof she is as a particular minute?

Also, this post wasnt to offend anyone, i want to get discussion going on why people are so anti the show. Are we going to hold George Bush's grand kids accountable for their grandfather's extreme lack of judgment? If someone commits the act of murder, they suffer, whats the point of making the entire family suffer. Those boys weren't exactly old enough to be involved in that stuff. So why are people acting like they should be in jail also? John Jr did something, hes in jail. The system works that if you do something, you pay the consequences. Obviously, Victoria, Carmine, John, and Frankie didnt do anything. Their father did something also and hes paying his dues. But we cant hold his kids accountable for his actions.
    As for Victoria, at the end of the day John Gotti was her father. You dont pick your parents. People act as if she owes you all some sort of personal apology for something her father did. So i guess the next person who commits a crime, their entire family should be put in jail and their future grandkids? From my understanding, John Gotti didnt bring home dead bodies and put them on the table like "Look what daddy did today." He shielded her from that everyday work of his. She knew him as her father and he obviously showed her a lot of love.

At the end of the day, the show was a smash hit they said and A&E ordered 5 more episodes for the season.. I dont like Survivor and so many other reality shows, i simply change the channel. Watching the show then coming to complain about it and say "Why is it on air" for reasons that are beyond the control of those four people is a very unfair thing to do. On the other hand i think maybe they should have put the show on a station with tonnes of younger people like MTV. But AE obviously wants to broaden their horizon from just targeting the older generation. AE asked Victoria Gotti for over a year to do the show before she gave in to do it. She thought it would be a negative experience but accepted to try and turn it into a positive one. People can now see how much of a normal person and family they are regardless of their last name. I have so much more respect for Victoria after seeing the show. You see her vulnerable side but also her dont mess with me side. Shes been through so much and im amazed at how she turned out. Thanks for hearing me out.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Might I point out one of the basic rules for our website since this show seems to be bringing in some new members who have started complaining about the treatment of contestants from this reality show before they understand what this website is for. We asked that you read this BEFORE you signed on and agreed to our terms . This is a privately owned and funded website.

FAQ can be found here Specifically --

Contestants of a reality show, having voluntarily agreed to appear on our televisions, are open for criticism and praise, and everything in between, assuming it falls within the bounds of the rest of our rules.
    This is applies to any contestant on any show. Gotti's don't get any special treatment as they are to us simply another contestant on another show.

I hope this ends amount of deletions we have had to do in this forum. And yes there is a section in the FAQ on free speech before someone trots that out.

Quote Originally Posted by GottiLove
    I'm sorry but this is what i dont understand and its something Vicki constantly points out.. it's not like the show is a boot camp for the kids to join the mob. The show doesnt show her rolling dead bodies into a cellar or doing anything other than what a single mom does with her kids. Work, cook, fight etc. Yet people act like its a day in the life of the mob.
    I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but this whole "Why does AE have a show to glorify organized crime" is really nonsense. Its a reality tv show that happens to have descendants of John Gotti. Its not John Gottis family that got a reality show to keep his memory alive. Sopranos to me is 100 times worse because it is a show about organized crime. Someone is dieing at the end of each episode on the Sopranos, not "Growing up Gotti." Did people have problems that a druggie and an alcoholic was getting a smash hit show on MTV to glorify his life? Or a gold digger like Anna Nicole has a show dedicate to see how aloof she is as a particular minute?

Also, this post wasnt to offend anyone, i want to get discussion going on why people are so anti the show. Are we going to hold George Bush's grand kids accountable for their grandfather's extreme lack of judgment? If someone commits the act of murder, they suffer, whats the point of making the entire family suffer. Those boys weren't exactly old enough to be involved in that stuff. So why are people acting like they should be in jail also? John Jr did something, hes in jail. The system works that if you do something, you pay the consequences. Obviously, Victoria, Carmine, John, and Frankie didnt do anything. Their father did something also and hes paying his dues. But we cant hold his kids accountable for his actions.
    As for Victoria, at the end of the day John Gotti was her father. You dont pick your parents. People act as if she owes you all some sort of personal apology for something her father did. So i guess the next person who commits a crime, their entire family should be put in jail and their future grandkids? From my understanding, John Gotti didnt bring home dead bodies and put them on the table like "Look what daddy did today." He shielded her from that everyday work of his. She knew him as her father and he obviously showed her a lot of love.

At the end of the day, the show was a smash hit they said and A&E ordered 5 more episodes for the season.. I dont like Survivor and so many other reality shows, i simply change the channel. Watching the show then coming to complain about it and say "Why is it on air" for reasons that are beyond the control of those four people is a very unfair thing to do. On the other hand i think maybe they should have put the show on a station with tonnes of younger people like MTV. But AE obviously wants to broaden their horizon from just targeting the older generation. AE asked Victoria Gotti for over a year to do the show before she gave in to do it. She thought it would be a negative experience but accepted to try and turn it into a positive one. People can now see how much of a normal person and family they are regardless of their last name. I have so much more respect for Victoria after seeing the show. You see her vulnerable side but also her dont mess with me side. Shes been through so much and im amazed at how she turned out. Thanks for hearing me out.
    Exacto!

I just don't understand why people (esp veteran watchers of reality tv) complain about the people on the show? It's not as if their behaviour is unexpected or "unique" among the general population..... granted they're rich and infamous, but that's about the only difference between us and "them". Their lifestyle, their way of life are pretty much normal behaviour and expected in a 1) single-parent household 2) wealthy household 3) semi-celebrity household

The Osbournes or any other celeb-families for that matter aren't so different from the gottis.

Cudos for Victoria for taking such a big risk! I say good for the gottis and good for A&E

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by decan
    I just don't understand why people (esp veteran watchers of reality tv) complain about the people on the show?
    This is not a site for only good, happy thoughts. If someone feels like ripping them for whatever reason, they are welcome to.

no I respect their opinion.... I'm only voicing mine. Nothing personal. Not at all.

The children are rude, arrogant, loud-mouths, and disrespectful to their mother (and probably anyone else that doesn't go along with whatever they want). That is not normal behavior. The mother also has an attitude and expects to benefit from her name when it suits her. The show was hardly in the "arts" or "entertainment" category for me. Just because there are so many dysfunctional families, it does not make them the norm for society. Just because they allegedly have money also does not give the family the right behave in the low-class manner that they do.

I won't be tuning in again to watch, as this show had no socially redeeming qualities, as far as I'm concerned.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    The children are rude, arrogant, loud-mouths, and disrespectful to their mother (and probably anyone else that doesn't go along with whatever they want). That is not normal behavior. The mother also has an attitude and expects to benefit from her name when it suits her. The show was hardly in the "arts" or "entertainment" category for me. Just because there are so many dysfunctional families, it does not make them the norm for society. Just because they allegedly have money also does not give the family the right behave in the low-class manner that they do.

I won't be tuning in again to watch, as this show had no socially redeeming qualities, as far as I'm concerned.
    I have the upmost respect for your opinion... please don't take this the wrong way but I have to ask you what is the difference between the Osbourne kids and the Gottis? That's my point.

FORT Newbie
    I read the FAQs, my question isnt in regard to disliking the boys or Victoria, its disliking the show because of something their grandfather/dad did.
    Yes they are rude to their mom but its a tv show. Its edited to make people want to watch and Victoria said she wanted to remove soo many of the fight scenes that appear through out the show since she is an Exec Producer of it but AE producers told her no..
    The Osbourne kids are seen doing every bad thing in the book. Drinking underage, using drugs and what not. They dont show it on the show but it is implied constantly. They fight constantly on that show except MTV also shows them making up. For all we know AE edits out the part where they go "Im sorry mom."
    I dont have a problem with people disliking the show. Like i said, i dont like The Osbournes, Big Brother, Joe Schmo or whatever but i accept them for what they are. Entertainment. Its just people come on here saying "The show is glorifying a mob family." When really if you sit and watch it, there isnt anything mobbish going on. I dont know if people watched 20/20 but Victoria said something that no other reality show has ever pointed about about kids on it. "As easy as it was for me to allow my family to do that, i can pull those kids out at any point." So as soon as she feels her kids are being exploited in anyway, she will take them off the show. As for the osbournes..we followed them through rehab and so much more. Victoria is a good woman that loves her kids a lot.
    I just think people should be more open minded than hearing Gotti and assuming its a show to glorify the mob. Or saying that it was a stupid thing for AE to take the show which glorifies the mob. When really it doesnt... as if people have a personal issue with the 4 of them for killing their family members or something.

When really if you sit and watch it, there isnt anything mobbish going on.
    Exactly! That's why I don't get the other side of the argument.

FORT Newbie

Ruthless Murderer

John Gotti was a cold blooded ruthless murderer. He was scum of the Earth. His family should be social pariah, not glamorized on TV. Gotti's daughter has obviously benefited from the wealth of her father. That's organized crime money. Money that is tainted with the blood of dozens of Gotti victims. The Gotti family should be stripped of their wealth and sent packing to the welfare lines!

I am outraged that A&E would put such a program on the air. I've always thought A&E was of a better class of programming. I say they should leave this kind of trash to the likes of Jerry Springer. And from what I've seen in the promos that family is trash!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast