+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Gotti Style

I Gotti Style

NYPOST

August 4, 2004 -- It was an offer I couldn't refuse. When it comes to me and fashion, the key word is fuggedaboutit. The only style I've ever copped was grunge - and it was by accident.
    So when The Post sent me to get a Gotti-style makeover, I had a long way to go.

To get the boys' inimitable "tape up" 'do, I headed straight to the source: Roman's Barber Shop in Westbury, L.I., where Frank, Carmine and John stop in weekly.

As luck would have it, Carmine himself was in the chair when I arrived with stylists in tow, while Frank hung out with a bunch of pals. Told what we were up to, they eyed me skeptically.

"You?" said one. "How old are you?"

While I was getting my haircut, Frank looked over the wardrobe possibilities we'd picked up at the Manhasset Macy's, and gave a Gotti thumbs-up to a red velour Sean John track suit. "You did good," he said. "That's hot."

Once Frank was done, it was my turn to meet the expert hands of owner Roman Yusupov. "You gonna look different when you leave, don't worry about that," he said.

First came a flurry of scissors, then Yusupov scooped his hands into a bucket of pink gel and went to work, shaping my hair into a spiky crown.

To complete the look, I ducked into the back to change into full Gotti-style finery: the track suit, a black Alfani T-shirt, some blinding white Reeboks and a faux-gold and diamond cross we'd bought for $35 in Times Square.

The verdict? The Gotti boys had left by then, but I got the good word from a few locals waiting for cuts.

"Looks good," said one, allowing that he had the same track suit.

Mark Yusupov and Alex Muratov of Roman's were likewise impressed.

"This is you," said Yusupov. "This is the cool you."

"This is your look," Muratov agreed. "The ladies will dig you."

Back home in Park Slope, where organically grown hemp outsells red velour by a healthy margin, it might be a tougher sell.

Whatever the reaction,when it's time to hit the LIE and chill Gotti-style, my track suit will be waiting.
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/26183.htm

The Gotti Look Is Popular

NYPOST:

August 4, 2004 -- AH, the Gotti boys: those artfully arched eyebrows, deep tans and piercing blue contact lenses. But mostly, oh - that hair.
    The well-gelled manes of the three Gotti Agnello brothers - "Dapper Don'' John Gotti's grandsons - are the main attraction in "Growing Up Gotti," A&E's new reality show, where next week's plot point revolves around ... hair gel.

And it's no surprise: The goo is the glue that holds their distinctly Long Island look together - that, and the souped-up BMW's, Nextel i860 cell phones, Diesel jeans and Nike Shox.

Gel alone can't be blamed for the gravity-defying "tape up" - a look that's part Wolverine, part spike, mostly attitude and utterly Gotti.

But not exclusively Gotti.

Turns out, a steady stream of locals converge daily on Roman's Barber Shop and wireless store in Westbury, to get the same look as Victoria Gotti's boys - John, 17; Frank, 14, and Carmine, 18.

Frank and Carm - all three stop in twice a week for touch-ups - were there yesterday, in fact, piling into the old-time barber chair as Roman Yusupov spritzed, cut, thinned and gelled.

"I invented it about four years ago," Yusupov said, modestly. "The boys like it. Shaving the back and front of the hair makes it clean-cut, gives it a spikier look."

"You go to a club on Long Island and everyone looks the same, everyone has the same hairstyle," said the barber's brother, Mike Yusubov, a.k.a. Dr. Wireless (he sells cellphones on the other side of the store).

Many contend it's John Gotti's grandsons who gave the look its cachet.

"Carmine was one of the first people to get the blowout spiked haircut," said Chris Stasi, 18, a longtime pal of Carm's. Stasi's hair was spikey, too, even after a hard day of construction work.

Hard to say what the Dapper Don, who had his locks styled at Vito's barbershop in Queens, might have made of all that gel - Ice Styling Glue, at $12 a bottle.

The cut itself also costs $12, but the Gotti boys typically pony up $20 tips. Yesterday, Frank arrived in a DKNY sleeveless shirt and white Reeboks, his thick mane of hair sticking up and over a white tennis band (he took it off for the cut).

It's an outfit his dapper grandfather - who had a hankering for silk ties, handmade shoes and Brioni suits - would have disdained.

Frank sat in the chair, puckered his lips and threw the mirror a kiss while Roman put the final touches on his hair.

"It's beautiful, the show," his barber said later. "It's funny. They grew up under my eyes. They first came here five years ago, and they come two or three times a week. They're good kids. They buy hair gel, they spend money."

Yes, but what about all the fighting?

"They're kids," he shrugged.

After Carmine had his tape up - no gel - he jammed a white Yankees baseball cap on his head and growled, "My hair's a mess."

Then he slunk out.
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/26213.htm

I read that today that guy looked ridicilious
    Embrace me, surround me . . . as the rush comes

+ Reply to Thread