+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8/3 Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

8/3 Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

NO idea why I'm watching this travesty LIVE this week (the absence of fast forward is agonizing), but at least the show FINALLY, on the 4th try, broke the "leaving in the exact same order as the credits" formula (the show isn't over, but the 4th family in the credits is the DiSalvatores, and they went first in the challenge and both other families got worse times).

EDIT - The Montgomerys, last in the credits, left.

Next week, it looks like we get Vegas. And I wasn't looking at the TV during the preview, but I thought I spotted Penn and Teller out of the corner of my eye. Will I be watching? Or will I have DISAPPEARED INTO THIN AIR? Who knows!
    Last edited by Krom; 08-03-2009 at 09:03 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: 8/3 Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

I enjoy this show, not only for the scenery we see along the way, much of which I've seen from previous cross country driving trips, but the personalities of the individuals--parents and children. It's an interesting reveal into people's psyches. I can't see it having a second season, however, since it appears the ratings are very low. I've always thought it would be fun to travel cross country, with a lot of time and patience, in an RV, although with the cost of fuel these days, it would not be inexpensive. Plus, I'd have to stop in a motel every now and then for a nice hot shower and amenities.

FORT Fogey

Love the show. It makes me want to go cross-country (now one of my goals for retirement).

However, it is really demoralizing and flat to watch the Cootes win week after week.

I think/hope it's making the other families appreciate what they have even more, though.

I've been to the Grand Canyon and taken the same route these families are taking so it's almost like reliving it. I want to redo it now that I have a child. I wish they had shown more of the meteor crater, it's really cool and so huge! I would have liked to see more of the Arizona landscape, like the cactus and the flowers coming off them. I remember taking photos next to some because we were amazed at how tall they were.

I liked the Montgomery family and felt sorry for the little guy who kept messing up the numbers.

I'm not tired of the Cootes winning everything, they are just better at the competitions. However. I do think they are doing themselves a HUGE disservice. They are so focused on the win win win at any costs that they are missing out on what the other families are getting. I don't see them as into the new discoveries and the experience of it all as much and that's too bad for them.

The Salvatore family is far and away my favorite family. I was laughing when the father figured out how to pump gas and then how proud the mother was and the whole Tiara "I'm Queen of the road" bit. You can see his evolution during this trip and that's just awesome and to me worth way more than winning. I'm going to miss them when they leave which I'm fairly sure will be next week.

I probably will stop watching at that point. The remaining two families just don't interest me. The Cootes with their win at all costs mentality and the Pollards with their constant watching of the Cootes and what seems to be flat out envy of those wins. I can't help but think that some of it is just sour grapes over not being the family crowing about winning all the time.

Seems to me that the Montgomery's and the Salvatores have the best attitudes about all of this.

Just my opinion from the comments and stuff and I'm aware of the editing etc etc etc.

FORT Newbie

I have really enjoyed this show and it is one that I watch with my daughter. She really likes the idea of traveling in an RV....before this show, she did not even know there was a Route 66!! I agree that the Cootes seem to "want the win" and are missing the bigger picture. I think part of the trip is to enjoy all the other families and share the experiences together. I don't think the Pollard family is the only one that is tire of the Cootes winning...they showed clips of others last week, so I believe that the other families feel the same way (as do the viewers!!)...they just are not showing all the clips. That is because the Pollard Mom has been chosed to be edited that way. I thought that the park that they went to looked so fun and my daughter could not stop talking about it. A place we would love to visit!! My daughter asked me if I would be like the Cootes Mom and not let her slide??? She keeps saying that Mom is "toooooooo intense" for me! I loved the Montgomerys..the Dad was my favorite. My daughter gets a kick out of the DiSalvatore Dad...she loves his hair. She could not stop doing the "I love you and I am cute" thing he does for pictures. I will be sad to see the show end because it has been fun watching with my daughter. Hope that we get to see all the families at the end.....like they do on the Amazing Race!!

FORT Newbie

Hey there! Just wanted to stop in and say for the record....everybody was really tired of the same family winning...it's not sour grapes at all...trust us, these challenges were tough and you had to work together to get them done. It was disheartening at times, to lose by just two dummies or 20 spins...nothing personal at all. However, the winning is and will always be second to the journey for the Pollard family....My husband and I do not and will never endorse gloating a win with our children.....we hope that we have taught them well in these cases...and thus far, we have tried to demonstrate a respectable behavior.....No matter what the cost. Thank you all for watching the show.....I know all of the families truely do appreciate your support.

I don't get why anyone would be upset with the Coote's mentality. If they weren't winning then they'd possibly be in the bottom three, and possibly ousted from the game entirely. You gotta keep winning to stay in it. If it were me playing, I'd be doing my best to win every competition, and would expect no less from any of the other families.

My son and I are enjoying watching the show. Nice summer family fluff.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick;3644429;
    I don't get why anyone would be upset with the Coote's mentality. If they weren't winning then they'd possibly be in the bottom three, and possibly ousted from the game entirely. You gotta keep winning to stay in it. If it were me playing, I'd be doing my best to win every competition, and would expect no less from any of the other families.

My son and I are enjoying watching the show. Nice summer family fluff.
    I don't think the Coote's have been cocky about winning (although I wasn't there and I may be way off base). I don't have anything against them at all.

What's disappointing about their constant winning is that a) it makes the show more boring than it could be, and b) it's disheartening for the other families, and c) it detracts from the "other" point of the show, i.e. enjoying seeing the country as a family (i.e. as opposed to winning a prize).

+ Reply to Thread