+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 3/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2294071;
    and the can't really expect people to travel from other states to come see this. So I wonder how the winners will impact ticket sales--if at all.
    They can't??? The majority of people that see Broadway shows aren't locals, LoisLane. People fly in to the city to see shows every day and it's where they make most of their money.

But then they aren't going to draw in the young viewers of this show, no. I wonder what the demographics of this show really is... has anyone ever seen?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Regular
    Anyone else notice that Max said he got Bell Palsy, not Bell's Palsy? I would think, if I had a condition that serious, I would definitely gotten the name of the condition correct. Maybe I'm just nitpicky. I was surprised that they didn't mention it earlier - they ALWAYS play up medical conditions and stuff like that on reality shows. Maybe he didn't tell the producers earlier, but don't they usually ask a whole bunch of questions when you try out for a reality show? I didn't like the edit they did on his video - because one minute, he's crying about having Bell[sic] Palsy and then the next second, he's all upbeat telling us why he should be Danny (or whatever it was - I forget). It made him seem disingenuous - but I'm sure it's not the way the interview thing went (like oh, boo hoo, I had to overcome this obstacle, so vote for me!). It was just awkward editing.

My vote for Sandy definitely went to Laura. She really set herself apart from the other girls (for me) when she sang the Jesus Christ Superstar song. Ashley always seemed too cocky and when paired with someone like Max, she overpowers him. They're almost the same age(?) but when they sang together (a few weeks ago), it was like some teenage boy with an older woman.

As for Danny, I voted for Austin. Yes, he seems a little smarmy, but I feel that Max is cocky and looks more the part of the slacker dude who definitely would not be the leader of the pack. Plus, Austin and Laura have more chemistry (though he is about 10 years older than her which is a little creepy...).

Though to be honest, I'm not a theater-goer, movie or Broadway, so I wouldn't be watching the production anyway...

If this tours outside of NY... I would see it. Since I'm in Minnesota and Laura is from MN I'd bet if they tour they would hit the home towns. Regardless of the winners I would go just to take my kids to it. We love taking the family to appropriate Broadway shows when they tour here and Grease is fairly family friendly.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2295788;
    They can't??? The majority of people that see Broadway shows aren't locals, LoisLane. People fly in to the city to see shows every day and it's where they make most of their money.

But then they aren't going to draw in the young viewers of this show, no. I wonder what the demographics of this show really is... has anyone ever seen?
    OK, even I know people fly in to see Broadway shows. I have some theater-loving friends who flew to NY to see "WICKED" when it first came out. (Me, I had no interest in seeing the production in my own hometown--mainly 'cause even the cheap seats were too freaking expesive. Now "SPAMALOT," I had no problems forking over money to see that one! ).

What I meant was that "Grease" doesn't have the cachet of being a new, cutting edge show that's a "must see" that people would specifically fly in for. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem like it. It's kind of like that TV show "Rock Star," a series I really liked but that had low viewership. I know "You're the One that I Want" doesn't get "American Idol" type of viewers, so who are they expecting to come see this show on Broadway? People who were going to be in NY anyway and figured it'd be fun to see? I actually am curious if a wave of fans will fly in specifically to see Max or Austin or Laura or Ashley.

I wonder if there will be a twist tonight, with the runners up getting supporting roles (Rizzo? Kenicki?) in the Broadway production, or perhaps even starring roles in a touring company?

Anyhow, I'll miss this show when it ends. Cheesy as it is, I've enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-25-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Grease will always have the family business as there aren't too many plays on Broadway that are for kids. It's been around forever, much like Cats and Le Miz. I highly doubt that many people would fly in just to see it, but would go if they could get the discounted tickets at Times Square when they are in town.

I think the idea of it being a "tour" might be better. People in the smaller towns would probably go see it, even if just to support the home town players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678