+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3/4/07 Show Discussion **spoilers**

I wonder if we'll get a chance to see more acting between the final 6? It seems to me that they are looking for their "Triple Threat" but we only get to see 2 out of the 3 threats. I think much (MUCH!) more is going on behind the scenes than we get to see. I also wonder how each persons song is decided for them. This can make or break a performance so someone has a lot of control over how these contestants show themselves each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Minney;2267248;
    I wonder if we'll get a chance to see more acting between the final 6? It seems to me that they are looking for their "Triple Threat" but we only get to see 2 out of the 3 threats. I think much (MUCH!) more is going on behind the scenes than we get to see. I also wonder how each persons song is decided for them. This can make or break a performance so someone has a lot of control over how these contestants show themselves each week.
    I too hope we get to see more acting and interacting. I'd like to see each of them act in a scene with each of the others.

Also, the next show should be interesting as we'll learn if WE vote for the Final 4 ( from the remaining 6 after the next elimination) or the judges will make that choice by "saving" someone.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    echo, if popularity is an indication of what is good...I bring up 5 words to contradict that: The Bridges of Madison County (the book).

About the song choice, I agree that it seems to have a lot to do with who ultimately gets thrown out. For example, the judges say they want Derek to be more lively, but he gets a dull slow song. Then Max comes on w/ a rock n' roll hit and gets to hop around, and the judges say they really liked the performance. It just seems like Derek never stood a chance, with that song selection versus Max's song.

I never heard Austin's song. I heard the other 3. Derek did great, I thought. I would rather hear 1 crack in an otherwise excellently-sung performance than hear an entire song off off-tune or sloppy singing, which is what Max and Chad both did. Max had the "funnest" song of the evening, so he got pegged as the "best".

I was also quite surprised that Allie won out over Kathleen. I actually felt sorry for Allie during the sing-off, since Kathleen was wiping up the floor with Allie. (Meaning, K was head & shoulders above A.) Guess I just don't know enough about what it takes to be in a musical.

Which brings me to echo what someone else posted: I can't imagine the musical would be anywhere NEAR as good as the movie. There is only 1 John Travolta in the world. Sure, he's not so hot these days, but in the days of Welcome Back Kotter and Grease, he was untouchable. His are HUGE shoes to fill. Perhaps the musical did run for 8 years, but after the movie (which the entire world has seen), I can't imagine any other Danny being as satisfying and perfect as John Travolta was.

I had the chance to see Grease in NY a number of years ago and the stage version is definitely different than the movie. I was all set to see "the movie" when I was at the theater and came away disappointed at the time, but later realized that I needed to have just enjoyed the show as a new show and not have the movie as an expectation-2 different medias all together, 2 different shows all together.

To me, the actors (S&D) need to have a great chemistry and they each need to be able to portray their character believably. I see Laura as the best Sandy of this bunch and I am still not convinenced there is a perfect Danny in this group. Max turned in the best performance last week but Austin has been a judge favorite regularly too.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;2268599;
    I was also quite surprised that Allie won out over Kathleen. I actually felt sorry for Allie during the sing-off, since Kathleen was wiping up the floor with Allie. (Meaning, K was head & shoulders above A.) Guess I just don't know enough about what it takes to be in a musical.
    I completely agree. I wasn't a fan of either Allie or Kathleen, but the latter so obviously outsang the former...I think Allie won 'cause of her looks, rather than any ability. Which is funny 'cause on stage, I think either of them would look about the same since there won't be any "close ups" as in TV or films...

Which brings me to echo what someone else posted: I can't imagine the musical would be anywhere NEAR as good as the movie. There is only 1 John Travolta in the world. Sure, he's not so hot these days, but in the days of Welcome Back Kotter and Grease, he was untouchable. His are HUGE shoes to fill. Perhaps the musical did run for 8 years, but after the movie (which the entire world has seen), I can't imagine any other Danny being as satisfying and perfect as John Travolta was.
    Yeah, I actually don't understand when people say, "You can't compare the film to the stage production or the film to the book etc. etc." Of course you can, and it's human nature to do so. And when a producer tackles a famous product, he/she knows they're going to be compared.

When they made the film version of "Grease," they knew that they would be compared to the play. Well, thanks in large part to the casting and the addition of some new songs written for the film, the film is now the standard by which "Grease" is compared.

Nabakov's "Lolita" (the book) is far superior to any film version that has been made. Now "Gone With the Wind" is more famous for the film than the book. The film is actually just about as good as the book--or least doesn't make you go, "Oh gees, what did they do to a great book?!!"

Anyhow, that's my feeling on comparisons. I enjoy watching this show but in no way do I think the Broadway production will be as enjoyable as the movie...for me.

fireflyer,
    great to see you again! Have missed your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2268871;

Yeah, I actually don't understand when people say, "You can't compare the film to the stage production or the film to the book etc. etc." Of course you can, and it's human nature to do so. And when a producer tackles a famous product, he/she knows they're going to be compared.

Anyhow, that's my feeling on comparisons. I enjoy watching this show but in no way do I think the Broadway production will be as enjoyable as the movie...for me.
    I had to go back and read what I wrote regarding comparisons ... and here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2267230;
    Saying the play didn't hold a candle to the movie is an interesting comment, Lois. Sort of like saying an original script or the book couldn't hold a candle to the movie.

Film and Stage productions are different animals and the two mediums really can't be compared. Film has different and more extensive production technique's at it's disposal, and the acting must be of a different sort. The play "Grease" was one of the longest running ever ... about 8 years not counting revivals ... and was nominated for several Tony's including Best Musical and Best Book. And apparently it was good enough to be the basis for a fun movie, that was a box office success, so how bad is it ?

The story nucleus is a rather timeless concept ... love v. lust, adolescents seeking acceptance and all that. I guess you could say that's not very complicated nor are the characters all that complex. While there was no dancing in the bleachers, research around here reveals that this is pretty much the way it was, but life was less complicated then.
    You are correct in that I said they "can't" be compared. I have to watch that as well as expressing what people "should" do ! Bad language habits be darned !

I'm sorry if I didn't make my thoughts clear and of course, we can compare anything -- even apples and oranges if we're so inclined. My point is simply that comparing contestants for a stage production to the movie's stars seeks different strengths. It's like asking your lawyer to perform surgery.

This falls squarely in the lap of the producers of this TV show, who have allowed the public to make this comparison. This befuddling muddle is their fault not ours. They missed a great opportunity to grab new theater fans -- and get them out to the ball game instead of watching it on TV, so to speak.

Mohandas Gandhi

echo, I actually wasn't singling you out! Quite a few people have said the same thing and I understand it. I just don't agree with it.

But I will say that I completely disagree with your lawyer-performing surgery analogy. An actor is an actor and while his/her strengths may be better suited for musicals vs. films vs. television, it's the same craft. Law and medicine are completely different fields.

That said, I just don't like the play "Grease." I think it's cheesy and stupid. BUT, I do like this TV show, which is even dumber and cheesier! So there's no accounting for taste (or lack thereof!).

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2269329;
    [
    But I will say that I completely disagree with your lawyer-performing surgery analogy. An actor is an actor and while his/her strengths may be better suited for musicals vs. films vs. television, it's the same craft. Law and medicine are completely different fields.
    OK ... bad analogy ... I'm famous for them

I guess I should have said going to a gynecologist for prostate surgery or something like that. Same craft ... vastly different skills and expertise required.

I too like the show's concept ... but think they could have improved it by explaining differences, etc.

Mohandas Gandhi

I have no idea why I even still watch this show. It bores me to tears. I hate that the judges can veto our decision on who goes (why have voting?) and who stays. It's like a train wreck. I want to look away, but I just can't.

That being said...I like Max and Ashley. Right now they are my favorites. I think they both have talent and Max keeps getting better. I think he can do it. He has time before the opening to pump some iron and bulk up a little. I think that is all he needs. He has the voice, the moves, the charm and the sneer. Ashley has it all around and she looks like a Sandy. Laura is my second choice. I like Allie but I think she is in over her head and I disliked Kathleen immensely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast