+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2/18 show discussion **spoilers**

Let's see if I can critique this. It's a bit difficult because I didn't think some of the couples matched. As to how they rehearsed, the producers knew who the bottom 4 was prior to rehearsals so maybe they matched the couples in the bottom 4 accordingly.

First, the sing-off. I thought Kevin sang better than Jason and Jason looks too "gangsterish" to me. Juliana definitely sang better than Kathleen and I thought they should have kept Kevin and Juliana.

- Chad and Allie: I thought they did well together and actually make a pretty good couple. What was best was that she was crawling all over him and he had (acted) the right response ... like an out-foxed macho-man. Know what I mean ? Remember John Travolta's response to ONJ's transformation ? I thought they fit well together, but I can see Chad with Allie, Laura and even Kate.

- Austin and Laura - I thought they were pretty good together, but Austin still doesn't do it for me. I think Laura probably wasn't the right partner for him, but most of the others wouldn't have shown him off as well. Laura was quite good and Austin, in my opinion, just OK. A better match for him would have been Kate and maybe Ashley.

- Max and Ashley - This is a non-fit. Ashley is way too big a girl for Max, and the only reason she was "playful" was because he was nuzzling her and stuff. Max was great as usual, but I think Laura or Kate would be better matches for him.

- Derek and Kate - Derek's "loving look" was strange. It looked very insincere/phony and was a weird grimace almost throughout. Again, Derek and Kate are not a match. He can't match her voice ... and the song didn't allow her to show it off and I think they fell pretty flat as a couple. He and Ashley would be a better match.

- Kevin and Kathleen - Kevin has a nice voice and he's a cutie, but the charisma isn't there. They are correct in that this is probably not the right show for him ... and Kathleen still isn't Sandy and they should have sent her home. I think she actually made Kevin look bad.

I phoned in a couple votes each for:

Chad, Laura, Max, Allie and Kate
    Last edited by echo226; 02-18-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I loved, loved, loved Chad and Allie. They were absolutely outstanding with their chemistry and vocals--solo and harmonizing. After tonight's performance, they would be my pick for Danny and Sandy. It doesn't hurt that Chad has the most engaging, beautiful eyes and smile. I think Allie comes off kind of snobbish, but the girl can sing. She's young and needs to work on her interpersonal skills.

Austin and Laura were good, but I didn't think they had anywhere near the body language and chemistry as Chad and Allie.

I also really liked Max and Ashley. It was a fun, playful song; they blended well and had great choreography.

After the first three couples, the night went downhill. Derek and Kate were dreadful. They didn't blend, had little chemistry, and Derek hit mega-clunker notes.

Kevin and Kathleen had zilch chemistry and were trying too hard. It was a very stiff performance, and they didn't harmonize well together at all. I've liked Kevin's voice previously, but this time he did nothing for me. Kathleen looks too old and serious for the Sandy role.

I think Jason and Juliana were the right ones to leave. She never looked right for the part, even though I liked her voice. Jason is too plastic when singing, and I never once felt as though he connected with me while he was performing.

Of course, all this is subject to change next week.

I wonder if these are permanent pairings. I think probably not since Ian picked Austin and Ashley. ( Is this what you all call pimping ? ) I really did not like some of the match ups, especially Max and Ashley and he made her look a lot better than she was tonight.

ps: Off topic ... speaking of match-ups, that blue really looks exceptionally pretty with your avatar, SV.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Regular
    I wonder what would have happened if say Jason and Kathleen had been kicked off, or Juliana and Kevin? Like how would the two saved contestants performed their duet tonight, if they had practiced with other people? Or would the kicked-off contestants have performed as "non-competing" performers?

Chad and Allie - I don't like Allie. Actually, I don't really like most of the Sandys. I haven't seen Grease, so I can't really comment on the characters, but all of the Sandys (save Laura) seem super snotty. And during the replay, Allie seemed to be screaming the lines. Chad was good but Allie was distracting.

Austin and Laura - Austin is probably in my top few (I know some think he's smarmy, or whatever that word is) but I do like his polished abilities. I became a fan of Laura last week (with her Jesus Christ Superstar), and I thought the two of them sang really well together tonight.

Max and Ashley - again, Ashley seems arrogant. I assume that if you're the next big thing (as the judges keep telling you), you'd probably be a little arrogant, but I don't like it. That said, I thought they did a good job together - a mismatch, but they did well nonetheless.

Derek and Kate - yawn and a half. Derek was okay, though he did miss a few notes at the beginning. Kate was the worst, I think. Maybe it's because of the other Sandy's comment about Kate being so powerful, etc - but she seems like she feels as though she has the whole thing sewn up. The first few lines of the song ("From this moment...") - I thought she could have done more, acting-wise. Instead, she just sang the line looking straight ahead, with no emotion.

Kevin and Kathleen - they were not a good match either. If anything, I think Kevin has a tendency to look more "thuggish" than Jason. But not that it really matters. Anyway, Kevin seemed a bit uncomfortable during the duet - maybe he doesn't have chemistry with Kathleen, maybe it was the song, I don't know. As for Kathleen, she was good - I didn't really notice that she was "too mature-acting" but after the judges said that, I guess it is true. But if you gave her a different song/scene to do, I think she could pull it off.

My faves are: Laura as Sandy (sorry, the rest are too snotty), and for Danny: Chad, Austin, Max... and maybe Derek as 4th. Kevin would be last, though. Again, since I haven't seen Grease, I'm not the most qualified, but how many voters do you think have actually seen Grease?

FORT Newbie
    I thought tonight was a sham....Anyone who got the song Chad and Ally sang would have been just as great. In my opinion Max/Ashley were given a cheezy song, Derek/Kate were given a horrible song and Kevin/Kathleen a what were they thinking song. As far as who sang their parts the best tonight and I have to judge individually not by couple, because I don't think the song selection was fair to each couple. Something that Julianna hinted at in her elimination speech. I have to give the best male vocal performance to Chad and the best female vocal performance a tie between Laura and Ashley.

My favorites are Chad, Derek, Max, Laura and Ashley. Austin is okay, but I don't think he is Danny. He is more Lorenzo Lamas...lol. The nerdy jock boy. Kate doesn't look like a Sandy. More like Soccer Mom Extrordinaire. I love Kathleens voice, but to be honest, she should be cutting a gospel album or something. She tries too hard to fit the part. And somebody get that girl a different style dress. Those babydolls on her look ridiculous. Allie is okay. She worked well with Chad and was actually playful for a change. She is a cute girl, though. I do want to know one thing. Who is their dentist? All of those girls have huge, white teeth. Blinding white teeth. Was that a pre-requisite?

FORT Fogey
    Porcelain veneers are responsible for those white teeth.

Kate and Kathleen are just not right for this role. I am glad they stopped asking for Kathleens spiritual quips and I bet the feedback stopped it.

I like Max but I can't see him as Danny. Though Chad did a good job last night he is a stretch for me. Austin and Derek, despite his lapse last night, are the top two contenders for me.

I like Allie and have from day one. I do not see the "snotty" or "snobby" in this girl, at all! I don't know where that is coming from.

David Ian pushing very hard for Ashley may hurt her. That would be fine with me because I just don't care for her. Not at all.

I can see Allie and Ashley as the final 2 along with Derek and Austin (perhaps replace on of those with Chad).

So long to Kevin and Kathleen next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2247348;
    Porcelain veneers are responsible for those white teeth.

Kate and Kathleen are just not right for this role. I am glad they stopped asking for Kathleens spiritual quips and I bet the feedback stopped it.

I like Max but I can't see him as Danny. Though Chad did a good job last night he is a stretch for me. Austin and Derek, despite his lapse last night, are the top two contenders for me.

I like Allie and have from day one. I do not see the "snotty" or "snobby" in this girl, at all! I don't know where that is coming from.

David Ian pushing very hard for Ashley may hurt her. That would be fine with me because I just don't care for her. Not at all.

I can see Allie and Ashley as the final 2 along with Derek and Austin (perhaps replace on of those with Chad).

So long to Kevin and Kathleen next week.
    Dogbat... I completely agree with your assessment. I'm not a huge fan of Ashley's as I think her voice is too cutesy and thin, but she has quite the Broadway personality. Her showmanship is perfect for the role, but I'm hoping that Laura beats her out for the top 2. I would love to see Allie and Laura for the final 2, but won't hold my breath.

Kevin and Kathleen were given a horrible song to sing, but they really compounded that by having absolutely zero chemistry. Allie and Chad had that in spades... even though I think Allie's big voice completely drowned out Chad's.

So... Allie, Laura, Chad, and Derek for me.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug;2247155;
    Again, since I haven't seen Grease, I'm not the most qualified, but how many voters do you think have actually seen Grease?
    You mean Grease the play or Grease the movie?

I didn't think there was anyone who hadn't seen the movie (as much times as it's been on tv).

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2247113;
    Austin and Laura were good, but I didn't think they had anywhere near the body language and chemistry as Chad and Allie.
    See, all the body language being mentioned about Chad and Allie...I didn't see it. It all looked sooooooooooo forced. Allie's heels were too high for her so when she was squatting down and getting back up, it looked like she was at the gym struggling rather than looking sexy. Chad pretending to be so entranced by her...He didn't seem too into her--rather, like he was acting like he was into her. That said, I just don't like her and probably never will, so don't mind me. . Never did, so I'm completely biased. I think Chad and someone like Laura would kill! Whereas with Austin and Laura--they had much less physically to do, but they were actually emoting and it all seemed so sincere and like they were really in love. I honestly never expected that from either of them.

My favorite to watch is Max, 'cause he just seems to have so much fun no matter what he's doing!

So far, it seems like whoever the judges save this week are the ones sent packing the following week.

(And I completely agree with whoever said that the nicknames have to do. It's actually kind of insulting that the contestants are called "Spiritual Sandy" and "Hot Danny" rather than by their real names.)

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2247106;
    Wow, Lois, you weren't kidding about Austinand Laura. I've never liked hime much before this performance. He is awfully plastic, but that sort of persona often works well onstage. Those two were amazing tonight.
    I know. I've said the same thing--he does have a bit of a plastic appearance, but he has one of those larger than life faces that project really well on stage. As a film actor, I don't think he'd do so well. But on Broadway, he's a natural!

ETA: And Kevin's cute, but he sometimes looks a little weasely, like "Zach Young" from "Desperate Housewives."
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 02-19-2007 at 10:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast