Let's see if I can critique this. It's a bit difficult because I didn't think some of the couples matched. As to how they rehearsed, the producers knew who the bottom 4 was prior to rehearsals so maybe they matched the couples in the bottom 4 accordingly.
First, the sing-off. I thought Kevin sang better than Jason and Jason looks too "gangsterish" to me. Juliana definitely sang better than Kathleen and I thought they should have kept Kevin and Juliana.
- Chad and Allie: I thought they did well together and actually make a pretty good couple. What was best was that she was crawling all over him and he had (acted) the right response ... like an out-foxed macho-man. Know what I mean ? Remember John Travolta's response to ONJ's transformation ? I thought they fit well together, but I can see Chad with Allie, Laura and even Kate.
- Austin and Laura - I thought they were pretty good together, but Austin still doesn't do it for me. I think Laura probably wasn't the right partner for him, but most of the others wouldn't have shown him off as well. Laura was quite good and Austin, in my opinion, just OK. A better match for him would have been Kate and maybe Ashley.
- Max and Ashley - This is a non-fit. Ashley is way too big a girl for Max, and the only reason she was "playful" was because he was nuzzling her and stuff. Max was great as usual, but I think Laura or Kate would be better matches for him.
- Derek and Kate - Derek's "loving look" was strange. It looked very insincere/phony and was a weird grimace almost throughout. Again, Derek and Kate are not a match. He can't match her voice ... and the song didn't allow her to show it off and I think they fell pretty flat as a couple. He and Ashley would be a better match.
- Kevin and Kathleen - Kevin has a nice voice and he's a cutie, but the charisma isn't there. They are correct in that this is probably not the right show for him ... and Kathleen still isn't Sandy and they should have sent her home. I think she actually made Kevin look bad.
I phoned in a couple votes each for:
Chad, Laura, Max, Allie and Kate