+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by luvclayseyes;2219544;
    I meant Jason, not Travis!!
    Actually, I meant Kevin!!
    Ok, I lost it. Helen

Ok, finished watching my tape. Thank goodness for the fast forward button!

Lois, I agree with you about Austin - he definitely resembles Harry Connick Jr. But I think Jason looks a little more like Joey McIntyre from NKOTB than Joey Fatone.

I could easily see someone who doesn't look exactly like John or Olivia in the role. For me, it would have to be people who can convey the leadership, yet vulnerability of Danny and the sweetness, yet sexiness of Sandy. A great singing voice is not good enough. They have to look believable as the characters. Same goes for looks. Good-looking is not good enough. They have to be able to sing with the emotion and power that the actors brought to the characters.

I also heard Billy give a shout-out to the original Broadway actress. Someone upthread said he kept referring to ON-J as the "original" but I might have ff'd over those parts. But I did hear him give recognition to Carol whatshername.

So, with all that said (and noting that I haven't been watching so I don't have preconceived likes and dislikes from the previous weeks), my take right now is:

Austin - No. Wrong look.
    Derek - YES! Right look, right voice. My favorite so far.
    Allie - No. Too cocky. She has more of a "mean girls" look and too hung up on her youth as being a positive thing for this role. She just comes across bitchy to me. I can't explain it, she just rubs me the wrong way. Someone mentioned some of them feeling entitled. She comes across that way to me.
    Kate - Yes. Good voice. I could see her as Sandy.
    Matt - No. Looks more like Kenickie and has a weak voice.
    Ashley A. - No. Weak voice, off key. No.
    Jason - No. Wrong look. When he talks, he doesn't have a "Danny" presence.
    Max - No. Looks more like Sonny. I just can't "see" him as Danny.
    Laura - Maybe. Her voice faded in and out between strong and weak. She has potential though.
    Kathleen - No. Her eyes and smile were very robotic during her song. She has a good voice though and I could totally see her as Patty Simcox. But not Sandy.
    Kevin - Maybe. I agree with someone upthread - you don't smile while singing "Walking in Memphis." He should have been soulful but instead he took the song in a different (wrong) direction. He has a good voice though so I'd be willing to give him another chance with a different song.
    Chad - Leaning towards No. He's a cutie and looks the part but his voice is not strong enough. I "see" him as Danny but not "hear" him as Danny. I can give him another chance though.
    Juliana - Maybe. She has the typical Broadway voice. She sings well but her song choice was all wrong for her. I'll put her on my second chance list.
    Ashley S. - Yes. Obviously she does look the most like Olivia but she also has a good voice. I wouldn't want her to let the judges interest in her go to her head (like Allie).

Until next time...
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I was actually appalled at how badly most of them sang these inappropriate songs. How do the judges have the nerve to criticize a contestant for not making a 50's song out of a much more current one?

It's my understanding that on Broadway you need to be a triple threat - act/dance/sing. Most of these people have horrible voices. The do-overs need to become rejects AGAIN and then we can move on to the other terrible performers.

I only liked Chad and Ashley S.

Kevin creeped me out by smiling through that song. I don't know who lazy/slacker Danny is, but he's ugly and his performance (though not his voice) bothered me most of all (in a bad way).

Well good news and bad news (for me at least)...

There will be a marathon next Sunday beginning at 7. At 7, the last casting call episode will air. Then at 8, the Grease Academy episode will air. Finally at 9, the newest episode will air. So I believe there'll be no new episode next week because I don't think NBC would air a new episode at 11.

I didn't watch the newest episode, so I'll be looking forward to it. But what sucks is that the Super Bowl is on, and who wants to miss the Super Bowl? Maybe I can watch the last hour since the Super Bowl won't last that long, and I still have that recap to look forward to.

Sorry if that was already posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2219523;
    Ashley S- They are pushing for her now but that will change. Her voice is not as strong and I think she will fall short in other areas.
    I noticed that, too. Her lower register is very weak, and the rest is a little thin. She has the look, but not quite the talent for Broadway.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2220104;
    So I believe there'll be no new episode next week because I don't think NBC would air a new episode at 11.
    You're absolutely correct. They said at the end of last night's show that they'd be back with an all new episode in two weeks!

Finally got a chance to watch this on tape. Comments about the guys:

Derek - great, definitely best of the bunch. Doesn't have the very best voice, but he can perform and he is the most masculine, hunkiest Danny of the bunch.

Austin - good performer, but there is something slightly feminine about him that turns me off. Don't know if it is that or that he is just kind of smarmy. I think he might be gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). But, if so, he wouldn't make a convincing Danny to me.

Max - the best singer and just looking at him, I'd say no. But, after watching him perform, he has become my third favorite. The writer is right - he can sell it.

Chad - Second favorite. He has the right look (a little scrawny and needs more muscle), but has a great face and the right attitude. A real cutie-pie.

Kevin - His look is okay and his voice is okay, but he is just average.

Boy Band Danny(forgot name) - Look is wrong until he sings. His singing voice is good, but his speaking voice is too high and I also get a slight feminine vibe from him and Danny should be very masculine.

Matt - great look, very masculine - too bad he can't sing that well and he looked really scared and nervous performing. Needs lots of grooming and practice.

Girls:

I liked all the girls except the little blond who came back. She is waaaay too green and her emotions are all over the place. Can't stand women who cry over every little thing - drives me nuts. Any of the rest would be good and I don't have a favorite. It would depend on how they relate to the Dannys.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I liked Ballerina Sandy (the better of the two Ashleys) but when she sang "It's In His Kiss," I thought it was funny during the part when it goes, "Is it in his eyes" (or whatever) and she says, "Oh no!" She sounded terrified each time. Wasn't done quite right...

Note: Quoted from the Derek thread for response here:

Quote Originally Posted by aname;2220815;
    Finally got a chance to watch this on tape. Comments about the guys:

Derek - great, definitely best of the bunch. Doesn't have the very best voice, but he can perform and he is the most masculine, hunkiest Danny of the bunch.

Austin - good performer, but there is something slightly feminine about him that turns me off. Don't know if it is that or that he is just kind of smarmy. I think he might be gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). But, if so, he wouldn't make a convincing Danny to me.

Max - the best singer and just looking at him, I'd say no. But, after watching him perform, he has become my third favorite. The writer is right - he can sell it.

Chad - Second favorite. He has the right look (a little scrawny and needs more muscle), but has a great face and the right attitude. A real cutie-pie.

Kevin - His look is okay and his voice is okay, but he is just average.

Boy Band Danny(forgot name) - Look is wrong until he sings. His singing voice is good, but his speaking voice is too high and I also get a slight feminine vibe from him and Danny should be very masculine.

Matt - great look, very masculine - too bad he can't sing that well and he looked really scared and nervous performing. Needs lots of grooming and practice.

Girls:

I liked all the girls except the little blond who came back. She is waaaay too green and her emotions are all over the place. Can't stand women who cry over every little thing - drives me nuts. Any of the rest would be good and I don't have a favorite. It would depend on how they relate to the Dannys.

Derek is a handsome hunk to be sure, but depending on his acting ability, will have a harder time being a believable high-schooler than Chad whose lesser physique seems to fit better.
    Jason has no "vulnerability" factor, and presents with a much harder edge than the role calls for.

If they really want them to look like era teens though, they need to give them some skin problems.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic;2219537;
    The other drawback to this show, is that a good performer on Broadway doesn't necessarily translate well on TV. You need to be overexaggerated in your moves and your mannerisms. So what looks great from 23rd row, could come across as goofy on a TV close up.
    Oh well ..
    I'm glad you pointed this out. I noticed that some of the contestants were singing their songs as though they were in a play and it seemed awkward to me. Do they use mikes in Broadway plays now so that actors with weaker voices can still be heard?

+ Reply to Thread