+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Austin Miller

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;2258647;
    Perhaps that ambiguity is what is bothering me. I just can't put my finger on the problem. He seems incredibly smarmy.
    I totally agree. In spite of his buff physical appearance, he really is very effeminate. I actually thought his appearance in the Greased Lighting group was over the top to the point of gross. His number tonight was forced and anything but FUN.

I also find it funny that in the clips in tonight's show, one of the other contenders said Austin was too much of a showgirl. I don't remember who said it but they nailed it.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Poor Austin. Last nights performance was just weird. I didn't like him in the opening number and I didn't like his "fun, fun, fun" number either. I usually think he does the best job of any of the men and his movements catch my eye when he's on stage, but last night I wanted to look away but like a train wreck I had to keep watching him! I doubt he'll be in the bottom 2 and if he is they will save him over Derek (assuming it's Derek) but he'll have to pull a killer performance next. Something with lots of swagger and steam.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I think the judges make up half their comments to fill air space. Half the stuff they say doesn't make any sense. Jim doesn't pay attention to anything but what the girls are wearing (or not wearing). Kathleen speaks in tongues. And David sometimes makes sense, but I didn't get the whole "funny" business. Danny isn't a laugh a minute kind of character. He has some funny moments--as do they all--but a good actor will be able to do that without being a standup comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2267189;
    I think the judges make up half their comments to fill air space. Half the stuff they say doesn't make any sense. Jim doesn't pay attention to anything but what the girls are wearing (or not wearing). Kathleen speaks in tongues. And David sometimes makes sense, but I didn't get the whole "funny" business. Danny isn't a laugh a minute kind of character. He has some funny moments--as do they all--but a good actor will be able to do that without being a standup comic.
    I absolutely agree with this and have posted similarly in other threads. Why do they need to see Comic Danny? While I didn't like Austin's performance at all, I still think he has the most potential of pulling this off.

I'm with you Minney!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Minney;2266140;
    Poor Austin. Last nights performance was just weird. I didn't like him in the opening number and I didn't like his "fun, fun, fun" number either. I usually think he does the best job of any of the men and his movements catch my eye when he's on stage, but last night I wanted to look away but like a train wreck I had to keep watching him! I doubt he'll be in the bottom 2 and if he is they will save him over Derek (assuming it's Derek) but he'll have to pull a killer performance next. Something with lots of swagger and steam.
    I give Austin big kudos for his dancing and singing ability. That sadi, Danny Zuko is not all swagger and steam. I think (and rightfully so), the judges are trying to assess whether Austin can deliver the funny and vulnerable side of Danny. So far IMHO, not so much.

True, Danny's not all swagger and steam... but I'd still like to see it from Austin!

I think Austin is just too much, physique-wise. He gives off the impression of someone who works out endlessly. Admittedly, I've never seen the play, but I remember very well from the movie that Danny didn't do any sports at all (remember when he tries to become a jock?) It makes more sense to me for Danny to be a little more lanky and less built, like Max or Chad. He is supposed to be a teenager, after all. I've never seen a teenager that looks anything like Austin or Derek. They are both way too pumped up.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Well, they obviously don't care if Danny looks like a teenager since they cut the kid who actually WAS Danny's age for looking too young! And look at "Laguna Beach"--some of those lunkhead boys look as old as Austin, and have buffer bodies than him.

When they're all standing around in their leather jackets and jeans, none of them looks particulalrly buff or not buff.

+ Reply to Thread