+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Austin Miller

As I said in the latest show discussion thread, Austin looks most like the "real" Danny. Although the Danny role is said to be a "composite" there was a main inspiration for the character, and actually all of them with some dramatic license allowed.

I must agree that the judges must see Austin projecting the character from the back of the house, and this may be a talent the others don't have ... yet.

Austin is still not my favorite.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Austin is handsome in a pretty boy way. He is a good singer, dancer, and actor if a bit hammy sometimes. And his body is awesome. Those are the positives but . . . he turns me off and that is unusual because I love beautiful men. However, there is something effeminine about him that just overrides all of his obvious talent. I just get the feeling that he would much rather be singing love songs to another Danny rather than a Sandy. And, I personally don't want to see a sexually ambiguous Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by aname
    And, I personally don't want to see a sexually ambiguous Danny.
    Agreed!!! He has better cheekbones than half of the girls I know.

To the Point
    Perhaps that ambiguity is what is bothering me. I just can't put my finger on the problem. He seems incredibly smarmy.

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aname;2256996;
    Austin is handsome in a pretty boy way. He is a good singer, dancer, and actor if a bit hammy sometimes. And his body is awesome. Those are the positives but . . . he turns me off and that is unusual because I love beautiful men. However, there is something effeminine about him that just overrides all of his obvious talent. I just get the feeling that he would much rather be singing love songs to another Danny rather than a Sandy. And, I personally don't want to see a sexually ambiguous Danny.
    Aname, I've been trying to put a definitive reason on what makes me think Austin should not be the final Danny (because he definitely has all the talents you listed) and I believe you have nailed my thoughts!!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

It was hysterical the way the other Danny's were imitating him last Sunday. They all seem to have his head snap down pat, and I got the biggest kick out of watching them. I think Austin has terrific talent, but for the life of me I can't picture him as Danny at all.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Well, he seemed to take the ribbing in good stride. I think it's also natural for the weaker to be jealous of the strongest one. They may not be jealous of his looks, but I think they're intimidated by his experience and what he can offer--polished professionalism. I think the thing that bothered me the most about him in the beginning was his hair--it looked almost fake, like a Ken doll. But that's been tamed a bit. He is definitely a pretty boy but I don't get the gay vibe/effiminate thing from him at all. And if he (or any of the other guys are gay), it wouldn't bother me as long as they can act and play the role. Rupert Everett--he's gay and to me, he's more virile and "manly" than half the straight actors out there. I adore him! (BTW, I always thought Travolta was gay even before the rumors, but I still thought he was great and believable as a horny boy in love with Olivia Newton-John in "Grease").

All of them at least got a compliment or two from each other...but poor Derek didn't get one. None of the guys had anything good to say about him--or if they did, they didn't show it in the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2259123;
    All of them at least got a compliment or two from each other...but poor Derek didn't get one. None of the guys had anything good to say about him--or if they did, they didn't show it in the clips.
    I think that is because they are jealous of Derek and think he is the biggest threat.

It's hard not to be sucked into the video clips/reality that the producers are trying to convey to the viewers. They have selected clips based on more than just their entertainment value--I'm trying to figure out the story they want us to follow on each contestant. Why not show any positive of Derek and why show them all say things about Austin. I hate being manipulated by the producers into thinking one way about a Sandy or Danny based on a minute clip. I like Austin and think his experience is a huge plus!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    He's Danny... if Danny was smarmy and prepackaged.

Yes, he's got the best technical skill in both singing and dancing. But it all looks so practiced, insincere and unnecessarily flashy. The best Danny would be a bit more rough around the edges.
    Quote Originally Posted by aname;2213120;
    There is something about him that turns me off. He looks good, but his personality is a little too soft and not masculine enough for my taste. Danny is tough, rough around the edges, and very masculine - that just isn't Austin.
    I agree with both of you, sort of.

Austin's looks remind me a lot of Eric Roberts. Hence, I think he's drop-dead gorgeous, and not in the "pretty boy" way that that other contestant (who sang last tonight) is. When he's into the role, I can "buy" him as a romantic lead, and the sexual tension between him and "Sandy" is palpable.
    He also has a great voice!
    But when he's "being Austin" and talking with the judges he comes off as a bit unsure of himself, a bit stiff, and a bit "soft." If he's going to pull off the "hearththrob" persona, he has to be able to do it when he's not playing a scripted role too.

Right now he's my second favorite, behind Max. (And that's because I think the other "Danny" contenders besides Max also come across as hot-looking gay actors playing the role of a hot straight guy. I have no concern about people's private lives, but if you're going to be convincing as a "ladies' man" -- or as a "man's man," for that matter -- it needs to come off when you're facing the camera as yourself, in addition to when you're onstage.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

+ Reply to Thread