+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Derek Keeling

Derek was my favorite in the beginning - I would have voted a hundred times for him if they would have let me. But last week and the time before that he either sang slightly off key in both songs, or his voice was cracking. I watched and listened because I really wanted him to perform well last time. I know the coach said it was tension related, but these guys have to perform perfectly night after night; week after week. People will come to see them and expect them to perform well.
    He has to be able to withstand the stress of the competition or leave.

I want Chad to go first, then if Derek hasn't made a remarkable improvement -I would like to see him go.

Austin has been my least favorite personality, but I think he would do a better job then Derek. Right now, Max is my fav; but before his "best of the bunch" performance last week, I thought he would be next to go. You never know, his transformation has been remarkable!

I hope Derek gets a song tonight that allows to portray the 'cocky' side of the Danny character. I think he's gotten ripped off on song choices.

I want somebody playing Danny who can be the "bad boy" that all good girls can't help being attracted to. But so far, nobody has been magnetically "bad". I want to see if Derek can be the leader of the bad boys. The dumb song they picked for him last week wasn't anything like the Danny character, so I just don't get it.

Worst of all, I think I only like Derek because he looks so much like Danny Romalotti from "Young & the Restless" years ago.

Derek's performances are way too inconsistent.

Notice he and Allie didn't get any best of the night kudos from the judges.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2277024;
    Derek's performances are way too inconsistent.

Notice he and Allie didn't get any best of the night kudos from the judges.
    Exactly!!!

Derek falls somewhere in the middle for me….He has the stereotype dark Danny good looks and I generally agree that Derek’s performance last night was much better vocally. His vocal inconsistency still is a concern for me, but his acting really is a much bigger one. I still maintain that his performances are forgettable. He just has not delivered a nuanced emotionally deep performance yet. Maybe it is song choice but week after week?

Derek didn’t get any of the panel’s vote for Danny because he really has not improved over the course of the show (much to the panel’s lament I presume) and is not a triple threat.

David Ian had to pick Austin as his Danny. How else could he have justified saving him?

Max is the true triple threat but hanging in the balance is the “believability” factor. I know that Max has an uphill battle here but for me Max is the only actor that delivers complex interesting performances week after week. He really does have a natural ability to get to the essence of a song and deliver it in a way that is connected to its lyrics. I love this about him and IMO this is what sets him apart from both Derek/Austin. He’s shown tremendous growth over the past couple of months and has done everything that the panel has asked him to do and more. I have to think that he would be a director’s dream. Once again Max’s performance last night was the best of the evening. His vocals were good and once again he acted the song. Sigh ….can you tell I am a big Max fan? I am glad that Kathryn Marshall gave Max the nod last night. Rob Marshall’s approval was more subtly delivered. He praised both Max and Laura for approaching their songs as actors. In fact, I think that Max was the only one of the three guys that he did not advise to remember to “always” play the character (Danny) with his songs.

I love Derek. If I were Sandy, he is who I'd pick as my Danny. He is gorgeous, masculine, and very sexy. But. . . I agree that he hasn't grown much from the beginning and probably won't get the part. Max will probably be the viewers choice and, aside from questionable sex appeal (although effemininity is not an issue like it is with Austin), he does fit the mode of a teenage greaser with a crush on a cute "nice girl" better than the other two. Looks wise, I thought Chad was the best choice for the part, but he lacked the required talent.

And, even though Derek is a gorgeous hunk of manly appeal, he is really too much of a man and not enough of a boy for the part. He'd be better in a more mature role. Austin would be better playing in La Cage Au Follies.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by aname;2282340;
    Austin would be better playing in La Cage Au Follies.

Good one!!!

I really hope he gets the part of Danny
    And now he's wrapped around her finger,
    She's the center of his whole world.
    And his heart belongs to that sweet little beautiful, wonderful, perfect All-American Girl.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Hank Azaria and Robin Williams were in the American remake of "La Cage Aux Folles," so yeah, if Austin joined their ranks he'd be doing much better than starring in something cheesy like "Grease."

Derek is very good looking, but a bland performer. But his looks should land him some nice roles (he's got a ready-made face for soap operas). Kathleen seemed eager to work with him last night, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

I really like Derek's look. I wish he could have had a stronger, more consistent voice. With hard work and vocal coaching, I think he could attain that and do well in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2286775;
    Derek is very good looking, but a bland performer. But his looks should land him some nice roles (he's got a ready-made face for soap operas). Kathleen seemed eager to work with him last night, so I'm sure he'll be fine.
    I can definitely see him on the Soaps playing one of the young hunks. I am sorry he didn't land the lead in Grease and since it's down to Max and Austin - I sure hope it's Max. Derek will improve in consistency. He just needs the experience. When I realized he wouldn't make it, I just stopped watching.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast