+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Max Crumm

This guy may be very talented but he just doesn't do it for me in the role. If he is the winner . . I probably wouldn't see the play. If he is an audience favorite, he just may win it as his competition seems to be flagging.
    Austin - too effeminine and phony
    Chad - adorable but his performance is unpredictable.
    Derek - my personal favorite . . best looking as Danny and very masculine, but not the best singer or dancer.
    So the role may just be won by the rather homely, skinny guy (and actually, my own "Danny" was a 16 year old Italian American greaser who was very skinny and had bug eyes named Arthur and Max reminds me of him).

Crumm gets physical for 'Grease'

Weldon B. Johnson
    The Arizona Republic

Is the competition for the NBC-TV show Grease: You're the One That I Want getting physical?

Ahwatukee's Max Crumm is one of four male actors still in the running for the lead role of Danny in a Broadway revival of Grease. When reached between rehearsals for Sunday's episode of the show, he mentioned an unusual training session for a musical.

"I actually just got done doing some boxing for this week's show," Crumm told The Ahwatukee Republic. "And I'm getting ready to go into rehearsal for my number. It's a little nerve-racking, but it's the ride of a lifetime."

Crumm, 21, didn't elaborate on just what boxing had to do with Sunday's show, which will air at 7 p.m. Sunday on Channel 12 (KPNX). However, this week's show will feature the four remaining male actors. Last week's show focused on the female actors trying for the lead role of Sandy.

The two Dannys and two Sandys who get the fewest votes from fans face elimination. The show's judges select one couple to get a second chance while the other pair is sent home.

Crumm consistently has been among the audience favorites on the show. He has avoided being in that risk group so far but said he prepares himself for the worst each week.

He said he and fellow contestants don't get nervous until the moment of elimination.

"We don't have enough time (to be nervous) during the week because we're so busy," Crumm said. "When I get nervous is when we're standing on the stairs and they call out the people's names. When the lights turn red and the music plays (mimics ominous music), that's when I get nervous."

Crumm has become known as "Slacker Danny" on the show. All of the contestants have nicknames (Slacker Danny, Boy Band Danny, etc.) based on their perceived personalities.

While Crumm does admit to having kind of an easygoing personality, it's not accurate to call him a slacker.

"NBC picked those (nicknames) out for us," Crumm said. "I obviously was just a laid-back guy living in LA, going on auditions, getting fired from my job, so they called me Slacker Danny. I can come off looking like a slacker, but I'm definitely one of the hardest-working people here."

In fact, Crumm has been acting since he was 6. He got his start in a high school play and has had numerous roles in Valley Youth Theatre and Desert Stages productions. He moved to Los Angeles after graduating from Desert Vista High School in 2003 and has had a part in a national television commercial and some independent films.

Crumm said taking part in the NBC show is, by far, the biggest break of his career.

"One hundred percent this is the biggest step my career has taken to date," Crumm said. "I plan on working my tail off for the next few years no matter what happens next. I want to be one of those people who do it all - Broadway, movies, television - and this is the perfect segue for it all. I'm just so excited to work on any project."

Link

Actually, while he's not "macho," Max strikes me as the most masculine (least effeminate) of all the remaining "Danny's." The other 3 all have a bit too much of the "pretty boy" thing going on and I also don't get a strong sensual pull from Derek, despite his good looks. I get it from Austin when he's in character as Danny but not when he's being himself. Ironically, I think Max is the sexiest of the 4 remaining Dannys.

Also, he strikes me as the most believable as a real h.s. "hoody" (a la Elvis) gang member. Derek and Chad seem more the "preppy" (Pat Boone) type to me. Austin is a good enough actor, I think, to pull off a James Dean kind of onstage persona.

Of course, a lot depends on the coaching and directing. Any of these guys could probably 'become' the Danny they want for the show. But I don't think Derek's vocals would be as good a Austin's or Max's.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2271462;
    Actually, while he's not "macho," Max strikes me as the most masculine (least effeminate) of all the remaining "Danny's." The other 3 all have a bit too much of the "pretty boy" thing going on and I also don't get a strong sensual pull from Derek, despite his good looks. I get it from Austin when he's in character as Danny but not when he's being himself. Ironically, I think Max is the sexiest of the 4 remaining Dannys.

Also, he strikes me as the most believable as a real h.s. "hoody" (a la Elvis) gang member. Derek and Chad seem more the "preppy" (Pat Boone) type to me. Austin is a good enough actor, I think, to pull off a James Dean kind of onstage persona.

Of course, a lot depends on the coaching and directing. Any of these guys could probably 'become' the Danny they want for the show. But I don't think Derek's vocals would be as good a Austin's or Max's.
    While I always thought he was a cute kid, he has since grown to be my favorite. Initially they kept him because he was what David said in the beginning "the best actor among them". His transformation has been remarkable, he started off as far from Danny as possible and is becoming "Danny" in every sense.

I love him and hope he gets it. He definitely was the best performance last week!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2275255;
    While I always thought he was a cute kid, he has since grown to be my favorite. Initially they kept him because he was what David said in the beginning "the best actor among them". His transformation has been remarkable, he started off as far from Danny as possible and is becoming "Danny" in every sense.

I love him and hope he gets it. He definitely was the best performance last week!
    Mike'sgirl (LOL- that's my brother's name), ITA.
    Max sold me with his “Summer of 69” performance and I have never looked back. He is the only one of the guys who completely draws me into his performances every week. He is that good. It really is incredible that this 21 year-old is not only holding his own each week against older more seasoned performers but is hitting it out of the park with one great performance after another. Max has done everything the panel has asked of him and more. He's transformed his look and has emoted every Danny quality through his collective performances: swagger, bravado, humor, and sweetness. As Jim Jacobs said, at the end of the day it is about talent and Max has it in spades! I think it says a lot that he’s won the director (Kathleen Marshall) over. She’s had him as her Danny pick two weeks running now. I hope he wins. He completely deserves it.

I think David and Jim picked Austin only to influence more viewer votes. I think they were hoping the final 2 would be Max and Austin. David seems confident in either Max or Austin as Danny. I think Max would win hands down if he was up against Austin. Peaches n Cream - I agree completely! Well said! My idea of Danny is someone with a sweet youthfulness and a sexy tough guy. We've seen that Max can be both. I love him!

Ok... I LOVE this guy! Watching this show tonight has cemented him in my heart!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2275255;

That's exactly what occured in our home. My girls and I were all about Chad. Chad, Chad, Chad. Then, week by week, Max just kinda grew on us until we really could not see anyone else playing that role. Austin is smarmy. We all dislike him. *shudder* Last night we voted for Max, which is something we don't do too often in my home. In fact, we haven't voted on a show since AI 2. We dialed for two hours last night. We want Max. He's Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;2285652;
    My idea of Danny is someone with a sweet youthfulness and a sexy tough guy. We've seen that Max can be both. I love him!

Part of the idea is that Danny is a sweet, vulnerable young guy who is kind of a pretender to the sexy-tough guy image. Kind of like Max ! Perfect.

And I'm a slacker-backer too !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2286856;
    Part of the idea is that Danny is a sweet, vulnerable young guy who is kind of a pretender to the sexy-tough guy image. Kind of like Max ! Perfect.
    I hadn't stop to think about it like that, but you are so right. Between Austin and Max I wanted Max to win anyway, but now at least I have a better reason than simply that I didn't like Austin's mannerisms.
    Last edited by roseskid; 03-20-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast