+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Rip Off Of Idol

FORT Newbie

Absolute Rip Off Of Idol

This show was a total disappointment. They had the oppurtunity to do something different. It is the most outrageous rip-off of American Idol ever.
    There are 3 judges, 2 men, 1 woman who sits between them.
    We had to endure watching painful auditions from LA and Chicago and then they are going to add more and cut until --AMAZING -- they get 12 singers
    6 boys, 6 girls and then it is going to be an audience vote.
    It was pathetic and if all they ever sing is the songs from Grease for 12 weeks --people will be killing themselves.
    I thought this show was absolutely dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by deannafrances;2199628;
    This show was a total disappointment. They had the oppurtunity to do something different. It is the most outrageous rip-off of American Idol ever.
    There are 3 judges, 2 men, 1 woman who sits between them.
    We had to endure watching painful auditions from LA and Chicago and then they are going to add more and cut until --AMAZING -- they get 12 singers
    6 boys, 6 girls and then it is going to be an audience vote.
    It was pathetic and if all they ever sing is the songs from Grease for 12 weeks --people will be killing themselves.
    I thought this show was absolutely dreadful.
    Actually I think this show held back and didn't show as many dreadful auditions. They seemed to focus on people that might actually have potential. I am not saying that there weren't any bad auditions, but nowhere near the number showcased on American Idol.

The Grease Academy will be something new, to my knowledge, nothing like that has ever been done on Pop Idol or American Idol.

If they only sing songs from Grease, I will be one happy girl, as I love Grease. How can they judge whether a person can pull off the combination of vocal ability and dancing ability of the Broadway show without having them sing the songs? I would consider that the main focus as they will be in the lead roles.

I don't have a clue if they are only singing Grease songs, but if I feel the need to hear singers sing another style of music I can watch American Idol, Nashville Star or a new Rockstar show, if they have one. I don't think that having songs outside of Grease should necessarily be a component of this show.

I agree with the judges comment, except I think these judges have a lot more riding on the process and they generally seem to be much more articulate than, at least Randy and Paula.

However, I doubt if American Idol was the first show...nor will it be the last, to have a three judge combination.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

"Grease Academy" is a cute name for the Hollywood round. And I love Grease, but if I hear "Hopelessly Devoted" one more time I will tear my fingernails out. (That song and "You're the One That I Want" were not in the original musical, only in the movie. I'm annoyed that they're using them, but I know it's marketing -- people will go to the Broadway show expecting to hear those songs.)

They already cut the best singer, IMHO -- the pharmaceutical rep. Sandy doesn't have to dance that much, other than hanging onto Danny's hips in YTOTIW. I wish they had given her more of a chance.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ploni;2199716;
    "Grease Academy" is a cute name for the Hollywood round. And I love Grease, but if I hear "Hopelessly Devoted" one more time I will tear my fingernails out. (That song and "You're the One That I Want" were not in the original musical, only in the movie. I'm annoyed that they're using them, but I know it's marketing -- people will go to the Broadway show expecting to hear those songs.)

They already cut the best singer, IMHO -- the pharmaceutical rep. Sandy doesn't have to dance that much, other than hanging onto Danny's hips in YTOTIW. I wish they had given her more of a chance.
    Those two songs already made their way into the play--at least the ones I saw in Chicago that I saw in recent years. They're so popular I would think they're going to remain in the Broadway version, too... And this show is called "You're the One that I Want." People are going to be expecting to hear it... Anyone know for sure?

And I said that same thing about the pharmaceutical rep in the Spoilers for the debut week thread. She had the voice, an adorable face, a cute figure... Sandy doesn't dance very much at all and I'm sure with some work, she could learn the choreography.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2199790;

And I said that same thing about the pharmaceutical rep in the Spoilers for the debut week thread. She had the voice, an adorable face, a cute figure... Sandy doesn't dance very much at all and I'm sure with some work, she could learn the choreography.
    I agree that she was a great singer. But her not making it because she was so weak everywhere else is one of the reasons that I think they made such a great choice by copying AI so closely. By copying the format, it really illustrated just how different the two shows are. On AI, if you sing well, that's all you need. For this, in addition to singing, you have to have acting, dancing, chemistry with co-stars, and the right look. If they used any other format, you'd never notice the contrast.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    I'm assuming they're going to have to do some acting tests, too, so although it resembles American Idol right now, it won't once they're past the singing.

In the original UK show to find a Maria for The Sound of Music, the early shows were the usual go around the country and film good/bad singers. The ones who got through this went on to work with professional singing/acting coaches. Andrew Lloyd Webber then put on a "showcase" at his own personal theatre in front of his famous friends. From this the final 10? I think were picked. Most were or had been to music college, or were just starting out on musical theatre careers. Indeed one very stroppy girl gave up at this stage as she thought the show would ruin her opera trained voice. Andrew Lloyd Webber all the way through said that he wanted a "tomboy" Maria.
    In the public voting shows the girls sang a variety of songs, in fact, Sound of Music songs were only sung in the last couple of shows. It wasn't just show tunes the girls sang but also classic and more recent songs. As to acting it became clear to the viewers as they saw extracts of "acting coaching" some of the girls couldn't hack it. The girls also had to "perform" as well as to sing and this really highlighted their ability or lack of ability to engage an audience. Assuming the US show with Grease as the musical follows along the same lines it certainly doesn't pan out as an Idol rip off.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

This idol rip-off debate reminds me of a quote from the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley." Actually I don't remember the exact quote but it was along the vein of "it doesn't matter who thought of it first but who gets there first." Just because AI had the show first doesn't mean they invented the concept of a three panel judging system, or any other aspect of a talent show for that matter (the gong show had judges too and there were some really poor entrants). Of course there are similarities but there always are in the land of entertainment. Do you know how many times I've seen an invention on tv and whine about how "hey I thought of that x amount of years ago!".

Just enjoy the show (or not) and not worry too much about comparisons to others.

Yes, because Idol is SO original itself...

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deannafrances;2199628;
    There are 3 judges, 2 men, 1 woman who sits between them....
    don't forget one of them is british and "mean"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ploni;2199716;
    ...I love Grease, but if I hear "Hopelessly Devoted" one more time I will tear my fingernails out. (That song and "You're the One That I Want" were not in the original musical, only in the movie. I'm annoyed that they're using them, but I know it's marketing -- people will go to the Broadway show expecting to hear those songs.)
    *raises hand*
    the first time i saw the off-broadway tour, i was disappointed that it was so different from the movie that i loved so much as a teen.
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 01-09-2007 at 06:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast