+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Rip Off Of Idol

FORT Fogey
    Simon Cowell is a good portion of why Idol is so successful. The problem with this judge is despite being British and mean, he's not particularly funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2200980;
    I found the setup of the three judges to be puzzling. It seems like such an obvious rip-off - why would they want to do that? It's not like AI is popular solely because of the three judges (much as they'd like to think that). But I think the format works well for this type of competition.
    I agree with your observation regarding 3 judge format working well for this type of competion. Too many cooks, etc.

These 3 judges specifically -- also makes complete sense.

The Creator
    The Director
    The Financier

Further, they are all familiar enough with the material and with casting issues ... but from really different past perspectives. Aditionally, they will have to unify on their vision if the show and the play revival are to be successful.

Actually, all things considered ... I think it's a brilliant combination.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

When has reality TV EVER been about originality? It's shocking that each new show isn't sued by some other show for blatently stealing thier ideas.

FORT Newbie
    I think this is going to be a great show. The academy is going to throw a whole new spin to the entertaiment part. They have been doing somethig like that fpr the past 5 years in Mexico, it is called "La Academia" and it's actually entertaining to see all the contestants actually having to learn and work instead of just showing up to sing thinking they got what it takes. You get to see a lot more of their personalities, which really helps you make up your mind as to who you really like, instead of just picking a jerk because they sounded well. It'll be fun, I am still waiting to see a real contender.

FORT Newbie

Not too happy with this

I'm not sure If I'm gonna stick this one out... AI is on and so much more capitvating. Sigh to folks who are trying to rip off Idol. Maybe I just don'e like Broadway Musicals....

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I enjoy this show when I watch it and love to catch up reading the recaps. I also like to read the recaps to see if I am close to agreeing with the writers. So far, I've agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2217211;
    I enjoy this show when I watch it and love to catch up reading the recaps. I also like to read the recaps to see if I am close to agreeing with the writers. So far, I've agreed.
    I'm enjoying this show too, and as far as us agreeing about what we're seeing, well I'm not surprised because after all, you know what they say about great minds, right?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I have to be honest with everyone, I've watched a few episodes and it strikes me that many of the people in their finalist bunch probably wouldn't have made it beyond the audition phase of American Idol.

Trust me, I'm not the world's biggest AI fan, so I'm not just trying to play that show up and trash on G:YTOTIW (a much less appealing acronym, by the way)... it's just that the show is horrendously underwhelming.

"The key to keep away is having a lot of extra hats at home..."

Quote Originally Posted by Monkadelic;2266594;
    I have to be honest with everyone, I've watched a few episodes and it strikes me that many of the people in their finalist bunch probably wouldn't have made it beyond the audition phase of American Idol.
    Trust me, I'm not the world's biggest AI fan, so I'm not just trying to play that show up and trash on G:YTOTIW (a much less appealing acronym, by the way)... it's just that the show is horrendously underwhelming.

Perhaps that's the problem. This show and AI shouldn't be drawing the same talent and peeople shouldn't be comparing the two. Remember all of Simon's jibes at AI contestants he said were too "broadway" ? Yes ... some AI contestants may have talent that can translate -- Jennifer Hudson being case in point -- but AI is looking for different type talent than Grease so it's not an apt comparison.

And speaking of rip-offs ... did I read AI contestants will be writing their own material at some point ? Isn't that a rip-off of Nashville Star and INXS ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Regular
    I agree completely with you here, Echo. I think it cuts both ways. None of the AI finalists have triple threat potential (sing, dance, and act). It's like comparing apples and oranges. Gotta love musical theatre to get a kick out of this show!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast