+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Absolute Rip Off Of Idol

FORT Fogey
    I think it tried to copy Idol... but failed. I suspect hardcore fans of Grease will be happy, but I could barely make it through the first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ploni;2199716;
    "Grease Academy" is a cute name for the Hollywood round. And I love Grease, but if I hear "Hopelessly Devoted" one more time I will tear my fingernails out. (That song and "You're the One That I Want" were not in the original musical, only in the movie. I'm annoyed that they're using them, but I know it's marketing -- people will go to the Broadway show expecting to hear those songs.)
    I think that it will be much more extensive and intense than the Hollywood round.

If they are doing they are doing the Grease Megamix, I think that it was the extended version of the Broadway show is called, then they will be singing those songs in the Broadway show...so it makes sense for them to have to sing it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Ploni;2199716;
    "Grease Academy" is a cute name for the Hollywood round. And I love Grease, but if I hear "Hopelessly Devoted" one more time I will tear my fingernails out. (That song and "You're the One That I Want" were not in the original musical, only in the movie. I'm annoyed that they're using them, but I know it's marketing -- people will go to the Broadway show expecting to hear those songs.)

They already cut the best singer, IMHO -- the pharmaceutical rep. Sandy doesn't have to dance that much, other than hanging onto Danny's hips in YTOTIW. I wish they had given her more of a chance.
    I wonder if she is going to show up again in New York after practicing a few dance moves ?

One thing about the stage ... the performers must have believable STAGE presence and it's entirely possible that although televised she appeared perfect to some, her presence (in person) wasn't right. Also, they mentioned having to look not only at individuals but at pairings with the other lead and the rest of the cast. I'm not sure which hopeful Danny she'd pair best with ... she seemed quite tall.

By the way and speaking of pairing, pairing that 42-year-old Fortuna guy who looks like a cross between Travolta and Tony Danza with a young Sandy will look like creepy cradle robbing.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Everything is NOT an American Idol ripoff and folks have a tendency to consider it the Gold standard. American Idol is just a talent contest and not the first one on television ... that was before most of us were born !

The only disappointment for me was that there were not more good candidates from Chicago !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

To the Point
    I didn't find the show to be as much like Idol as I would have expected. I thought the judges were more professional in their approach. I was pleased that we weren't subjected to a ridiculous number of bad auditions, some are to be expected. The only real glitch for me was the 42 year old getting through. He wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't TOO old. He needs to move on. While I probably wouldn't watch the show on my own, my daughter wanted to watch so we did.

I found the setup of the three judges to be puzzling. It seems like such an obvious rip-off - why would they want to do that? It's not like AI is popular solely because of the three judges (much as they'd like to think that). But I think the format works well for this type of competition.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

In judging situations there needs to be an uneven number of judges so that there would be a majority rule over whether someone makes the cut or not. More than 3 people is just too many opinions.

My wife and I stopped watching about 20 minutes into the first episode, simply because our LEAST favorite part is all those stupid "bad auditions". AI has week after week after excruciating week of them, and we usually just skip them and wait for the real show to happen. I imagine we'll do the same here, and give it one more episode.
    Just call me Bob. The 3 is silent.

Hmmmm...my hubby actually looked at me about 20 minutes in and said "Wow, they aren't showing nearly as many bad auditions as AI does!" Yeah, you had to get a few in just because some of them make good TV. The "Hopelessly Devoted" older lady that has been on the commercial was a given, we knew she'd show up. But overall, I was impressed with the quality of the auditions we heard.

I did NOT like Billy Bush pimping the one contestant and pushing her back out onto the stage begging the judges to give her another chance. If Ryan Seacrest ever pulled that, he'd be laughed right out of the judging room! Billy Bush isn't a judge, he's a host...he should leave the judging to the judges. As it turned out, they knew best in the first place.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte;2201238;
    I did NOT like Billy Bush pimping the one contestant and pushing her back out onto the stage begging the judges to give her another chance. If Ryan Seacrest ever pulled that, he'd be laughed right out of the judging room! Billy Bush isn't a judge, he's a host...he should leave the judging to the judges. As it turned out, they knew best in the first place.
    I think that entire bit was created by the producers in an attempt to show the wisdom of the judges. Kind of a "what may sound good to the common man isn't ... and our judges are smart enough to detect it early!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast