+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: 1/7 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

  1. #61
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,730
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballler;2199777;
    I think it is so wrong of the producers to put through people they know they are not going to send to the academy. No matter how well those two girls sang or danced the judges were not going to put them through because of their looks. They were just setting them up to feel good and tear them back down.
    I was thinking the same thing. Not so much that they were setting them up but the judges knew full well they weren't going to pick those girls. Maybe it actually boosted the girls self-esteem though to know they made it further than some of the skinny minnies.

  2. #62
    FORT Fogey Misty8723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,377
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballler;2199777;
    I think it is so wrong of the producers to put through people they know they are not going to send to the academy. No matter how well those two girls sang or danced the judges were not going to put them through because of their looks. They were just setting them up to feel good and tear them back down.
    Surely they must have pre-screened these people like American Idol does. That being the case (and I feel the same way about AI), why put someone through to audition when you know they don't have a prayer? I personally am not entertained by bad singing (delusional or otherwise). If I want to hear bad singing, I'll just make a recording of myself Also, if people don't realize they're too old for the roles (regardless of other talents they might have), they should have been screened out before even getting to the judges. Just my opinion.

  3. #63
    Ms Ambusher dberk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;2199951;
    Surely they must have pre-screened these people like American Idol does. That being the case (and I feel the same way about AI), why put someone through to audition when you know they don't have a prayer? I personally am not entertained by bad singing (delusional or otherwise). If I want to hear bad singing, I'll just make a recording of myself Also, if people don't realize they're too old for the roles (regardless of other talents they might have), they should have been screened out before even getting to the judges. Just my opinion.
    And it's a very good opinion. I'm happy to skip the auditions of AI, but watched this show to see if it was worthwhile and I'm still thinking about it.

  4. #64
    FORT Fogey aname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,320
    Yeah, its a rip-off of American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. But, I enjoyed it for shear entertainment value. I too agree that the young women who were overweight and who obviously were not going to be picked were misled. But, I guess they think that is good TV.

    People will continue to delude themselves about their "talent" and Reality TV will continue to use them to entertain those of us who want to see people make fools of themselves. Personally, I dislike watching the fools and would much rather see those who are genuinely talented and have a chance.

  5. #65
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645
    Maybe I'm a sap, but I am hoping that some of those who were not put through as Sandy/Danny candidates, will be kept on file/in mind for other more suitable parts either in this production or another or possibly even alternates in this or other ensembles ?

    And by letting them come back for the dance audition, they certainly gave them an additional opportunity to sell themselves. Fat, skinny, not tough-looking enough, whatever ... these people all got exposure they wouldn't ever get in a regular audition, which usually end with a simple "thank you" and little comment and/or encouragement. I also think they didn't say many things to these people that could be considered cruel or devastating ... like Cowell does for a laugh and at the auditioners' expense.

    As for the Movie being better than the play ... the play ran on Broadway for a very long time. It was once THE longest running Broadway play and was internationally renowned ! It had a second great run as well. The Movie was made because of the popularity of the play. Some songs from the Movie are included because they are now associated with "Grease" ... period. For this play and it's stage and film revivals to have survived this long ... it must be pretty good.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  6. #66
    What's a sitcom? Toxic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    641
    I'm jaded enought to believe they already HAVE their Danny and Sandy (two unknown, off-broadway types from New York) and this is just a vehicle to get them some fame.


    But whatever .. it's was still an entertaining show. Quite frankly, I'm getting a little tired of AI and its format. This is a nice twist on that.

  7. #67
    Ms Ambusher dberk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic;2201946;
    I'm jaded enought to believe they already HAVE their Danny and Sandy (two unknown, off-broadway types from New York) and this is just a vehicle to get them some fame.

    But whatever .. it's was still an entertaining show. Quite frankly, I'm getting a little tired of AI and its format. This is a nice twist on that.
    Toxic, I was just thinking about needing you as the voice of reason in a couple of other threads (Top Chef and previously on Survivor).

    I wondered how they could put a Broadway play in the hands of America and your suggestion makes a lot of sense. As long as I'm entertained I don't care about being manipulated toward the best choices (not that I actually vote, anyway).

  8. #68
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,826
    I wish I would have watched this now because I just found out one of the guys who auditioned in Chicago was a HS classmate of my son's. The two of them acted together in several plays in HS and college. I guess he didn't make it through because he can't dance.

  9. #69
    Just Forting Around roseskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anticipating roses and broken hearts
    Posts
    7,271
    That's too bad, because wouldn't it be a great surprise to actually see someone you know? I loved SYTYCD and still have big hopes for this show because of the dancing and acting yet to come.

    Toxic, you may be on to something , and I agree with dberk that even if that were true, it could still prove entertaining to watch the elimination process. I've never voted either.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

  10. #70
    FORT Fogey tango7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by aname;2200446;
    Yeah, its a rip-off of American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. But, I enjoyed it for shear entertainment value. I too agree that the young women who were overweight and who obviously were not going to be picked were misled. But, I guess they think that is good TV.

    People will continue to delude themselves about their "talent" and Reality TV will continue to use them to entertain those of us who want to see people make fools of themselves. Personally, I dislike watching the fools and would much rather see those who are genuinely talented and have a chance.


    The older, overweight woman with black hair and 3 chins who sang "Hopelessly Devoted to You"

    I mean, come ON! That's beyond ridiculous. Wouldn't surprise me if they hired/PLANTED her and a few others to grab viewers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.