+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1/7 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2198297;
    OK, am I totally pathetic or what? I watched this, even missing the first half hour of "Desperate Housewives." I thought it was OK. I thought that Jim Jacobs was kind of mean. I also thought some of the contestants were ridiculous--like some of the 40ish looking women trying out for the part of Sandy. OK, Olivia Newton-John was 29 or 30 when she filmed her role and I thought she (and Travolta) were both too old for the roles (she thought she was, too, she said in an interview a while back), but they were good. I thought it was interesting that the judges cut the Los Angeles boy for being too young (he was 17), but they kept the girl from Chicago--who's also 17. Just goes to show that they like the traditional casting of boy looking older than girl--even if they're supposed to be the same age.

I don't think age was truly the deciding factor with the 17 year old boy, he simply looked too wimpy for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2199141;
    Yes.

I think Sandy and Danny are too associated with Olivia and John to make a different "look" acceptable to the audience. I'm not a theater goer and maybe they are more open minded than I am, but I'm reasonably sure that putting the choice of leads in the hands of America will result in a white, blonde Sandy and a white, dark haired Danny.

I was surprised that so many women were singing Rizzo's song for an audition as Sandy. It's a great song and involves acting as well as singing and soft and hard vocals - so I guess it is a good choice.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archiegoodwin;2199143;
    I don't think age was truly the deciding factor with the 17 year old boy, he simply looked too wimpy for the role.
    Aw, I didn't think he looked wimpy. I did think he looked young and nervous. The 17-year-old girl (from Chicago?) was fairly unattractive (to me)--her face was too square (and yes) old looking (to me). I thought how ironic it'd be if they paired her up with that 42-year-old man (from Chicago).

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2199338;
    I think Sandy and Danny are too associated with Olivia and John to make a different "look" acceptable to the audience. I'm not a theater goer and maybe they are more open minded than I am, but I'm reasonably sure that putting the choice of leads in the hands of America will result in a white, blonde Sandy and a white, dark haired Danny.
    I think you are right. It's funny 'cause the movie was better than the play -- and now the play incorporates songs specially written for the film ("You're the One That I Want"; and didn't they write "Hopelessly Devoted to You" specifically for Olivia to sing?).

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2199339;
    Aw, I didn't think he looked wimpy. I did think he looked young and nervous. The 17-year-old girl (from Chicago?) was fairly unattractive (to me)--her face was too square (and yes) old looking (to me). I thought how ironic it'd be if they paired her up with that 42-year-old man (from Chicago).
    He definitely didn't look like a tough-guy, though. He had a baby-face and wouldn't have been believable in the role. His speaking voice was still on the squeaky side, but time will eventually change that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2199350;
    He definitely didn't look like a tough-guy, though. He had a baby-face and wouldn't have been believable in the role. His speaking voice was still on the squeaky side, but time will eventually change that.
    Yes, I suppose in a few years when he fills out a bit, he'll be a pretty-boy Danny. I guess I never thought of John Travolta as looking like a tough guy (back in his "Grease" days). I think he was good in the role, but he didn't have that tough-guy look like Jeff Conaway (who played Kenicki in the movie--and I believe he played Danny on Broadway prior to that--oh, useless trivia: Jeff was once married to Olivia's older sister, Rona! )

I always see pretty-boy Bobby from Taxi when I think of Jeff Conaway. I was 12 or 13 when the movie came out and remember thinking how weird it was to see Bobby up there trying to look tough.

And I think John Travolta was trading on his Vinnie Barbarino image back then, which was supposed to be the sexy, lovable tough guy. I never saw the appeal, personally.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

They probably should have had some age restrictions. I know people can look older or younger but no way do I want to see that one guy who was 40 something play Danny. And the 17 year old girl was too young and innocent looking. I don't know if she could pull off the look when Sandy transforms herself at the carnival. And her voice was too "young" if that makes sense.

I wonder if the ones who really, really, really CAN'T sing are there just for entertainment purposes or do they actually think they can sing?

I really don't know any of the judges but it was nice to get some insight on that one guy who created Grease and see the places that inspired him. But I do find it funny that most all competition shows these days seem to have a prerequisite of having a British guy as a judge .

I'll be tuning back in of course!

FORT Fan
    I think it is so wrong of the producers to put through people they know they are not going to send to the academy. No matter how well those two girls sang or danced the judges were not going to put them through because of their looks. They were just setting them up to feel good and tear them back down.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2199686;
    I wonder if the ones who really, really, really CAN'T sing are there just for entertainment purposes or do they actually think they can sing?
    I think some are just trying to get some William Hung type of notoriety...or just make it on TV. Some may even be improv actors looking for a "bit" to add onto their reel or resume! Some of the older women who auditioned--come on, they had to have known they would never, ever get picked. I can't believe there's anyone that clueless. People always tell me I look young (for my age) but I know there is no way I could pass for a 17-year-old...not anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast