+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1/7 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I have to say that I didn't hate this show & I will try to stick around for a few more episodes. Does anyone know how it's going to work when we get to the elimination part? Is it going to be like AI? Peformance shows on Sun., elimination shows on Mon.?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    echo, I get the impression that you're someone close to the show? An insider perhaps? If you're so inclined, please do fill us in!

FORT Fogey
    I think the producers of the show made a very smart choice by making the show's format as similar to American Idol as they did. It lulled you into thinking you knew how things happen, which, once it turned, made you appreciate how different Broadway is from a singing contest. People who were great singers couldn't dance to save their lives, so they were gone. People who could sing and dance didn't have the right look, so they were out. There's A LOT more that goes into casting a Broadway show then just talent. By using the AI format, you really got to appreciate that.

And even though I agree that Billy Bush is annoying (another AI copy - annoying host!) I think he did provide one of the great moments of the night. When he asked the judges to reconsider with that one woman, his reaction to her botching the high note in her retry was hilarious.

I expected to hate this show, but found it interesting. But I only watched the first hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2198719;
    echo, I get the impression that you're someone close to the show? An insider perhaps? If you're so inclined, please do fill us in!
    Sorry to disappoint -- not an insider, but the insight door is ajar. JJ has been the talk of Taft High School for years, it's claim to fame, so many alumni feel "connected". JJ also dabbled in some acting at Kingston Mines Theater before Grease. ( Kingston Mines is where Gary Sinese was "discovered".)

JJ's older, but same high school, same neighborhood, mutual acquaintances. A Pink Lady was a neighbor, Doody last I heard is a disabled Vietnam Veteran. The places they visited ... like the Hot Dog stand has been there for a VERY long time. The Pink Ladies by the way weren't gang-bangers but a "club" of teen girls who wore black satiny jackets with Pink lettering and set themselves up as the too-cool-for-school-bunch. The characters in "Grease" were "greasers". The boys knew cars, and the feminine dress code was flat's, nylons, "hair" and make-up, and Beauty School was a frequent career choice. The Patty's and Sandy's were called "collegiates" ... they were the cheerleader, "pony-tails, pleated skirts and sneakers to school, crowd.

Based on geography, I've been thinking our FORT leader John may have some tidbits to offer too. If so, hope he'll stop in and share.
    Last edited by echo226; 01-08-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2198665;
    I have to say that I didn't hate this show & I will try to stick around for a few more episodes. Does anyone know how it's going to work when we get to the elimination part? Is it going to be like AI? Peformance shows on Sun., elimination shows on Mon.?
    I haven't read anything about the elimnation process -- or anything about it being a two-nighter. Maybe they will just do "callbacks" -- at the beginning of each Sunday's show ? I'm curious too.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2198960;
    Sorry to disappoint -- not an insider, but the insight door is ajar. JJ has been the talk of Taft High School for years, it's claim to fame, so many alumni feel "connected". JJ also dabbled in some acting at Kingston Mines Theater before Grease. ( Kingston Mines is where Gary Sinese was "discovered".)
    Cool! I have a friend who went to TAFT but she never mentioned anything GREASE-related! I must admit that I will tune again next week...

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2198428;
    I tuned in late, so I missed the first 30 minutes. From what I watched, I thought this show was pretty good. It surprised me that I liked it. I thought it would be a trainwreck.

I really liked Sunshine, but I know that there is no way that she would be picked as Sandy. I could see her as another character though. I forget the name; the mean girl.
    I LOVED sunshine.. she had perfect stage personality.. and weight and frizzy hair aside.. she was cute as all get out! I would have LOVED to see her as Frenchie.

Cupcake Chickie.. she would have made a good Rizzo or an even better Principal McGee, given her age. I really thought she could sing AND dance.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

i missed the last half hour
    did the guy who auditioned last in la [who "wowed" the judges] make it???

Quote Originally Posted by retromayhem;2199123;
    did the guy who auditioned last in la [who "wowed" the judges] make it???
    Yes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast