+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1/7 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I liked the Cupcake dancer. I think it would be interesting to have a pleasantly plump Sandy. She could dance pretty good and sang great. Oh well.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

14 minutes in and I am hooked
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;2198358;
    I liked the Cupcake dancer. I think it would be interesting to have a pleasantly plump Sandy. She could dance pretty good and sang great. Oh well.
    I think she was the only one I saw (I was watching "The Stand" on SciFi and didn't want to break away after watching 5 hours of it already!). I saw her sing but not dance! Did she dance well too? I thought she did really well singing but I don't think I could see her as Sandy...maybe Rizzo or Frenchie!! Oh wait...I saw cupcake lady and Fawn (?)..the one who Billy wanted to give her a 2nd chance and then she blew that one too!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2198376;
    I think she was the only one I saw (I was watching "The Stand" on SciFi and didn't want to break away after watching 5 hours of it already!). I saw her sing but not dance! I thought she did really well singing but I don't think I could see her as Sandy...maybe Rizzo or Frenchie!! Oh wait...I saw cupcake lady and Fawn (?)..the one who Billy wanted to give her a 2nd chance and then she blew that one too!
    Cupcake lady seemed to have a TON of personality. But as they say personlaity can only get you so far. Oh wait isn't that looks can only get you so far.

The first real problem is that Troll Billy Bush.

The actual idea for the contest isn't bad. And I'm glad to see they've shown more restraint than American Idol with showing "the bad auditions". A handful per show is enough.

I'm kind of split on whether they need to go in the direction of a "diverse" Danny and Sandy. Firstly, since the rest of the cast will be pros they can satisfy that urge there. Secondly, I'd hate to see them cast someone less talented just to be different.

That said, there's absolutely no need for Sandy to look even remotely like Olivia Newton-John. It must be preconception which is leading so many blond girls to audition.

And of course a black Danny, or an Asian Sandy, or any of the other many possibilities would be okay in this day and age. Its a bit harder to see an old Danny or an overweight Sandy though, no matter how well they sing.

The Cupcake girl could indeed play either Rizzo or Frenchie, except they haven't constructed this thing to allow that possibility apparently.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

There wasn't anyone that really wow'ed me. A couple of the girls I liked how they were portrayed. And a handful of guys I could see "possibly" being cast as the lead. But I just wonder how the professional actors who are already cast are gonna feel about a phone in winner.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    The Cupcake Tap Dancer was awesome, but no way will they pick her for Sandy. She was too old and too heavy. I got the feeling that they advanced a lot of the contestants to appear politically correct (e.g. that they're not turning down heavier women or people of color). I have the feeling that even if they picked a minority for the role of Sandy, they would pick one who pretty much looked like a white girl but with darker skin. They want someone "safe." I personally would love to see an Asian-American or Jamaican Sandy. Heck--in the movie they changed the role slightly so that Sandy hailed from Australia (I know, I know--but she still looked like every other Sandy). I think an African American Danny would be awesome. But I have a feeling they won't go with anything out of the norm for the two leads.

I was actually hoping that the pharmaceutical sales rep would advance to the next round. I thought she had a lovely voice. She couldn't dance, but to be honest, I don't remember much complicated dancing in the play at all.

I watched it ... and thought it was OK. I can't say that I am hooked, but I will probably give it another shot next week. I think the Grease Academy concept sounds interesting.

I liked the dancing cupcake, too. She could've made a GREAT Rizzo.

I tuned in late, so I missed the first 30 minutes. From what I watched, I thought this show was pretty good. It surprised me that I liked it. I thought it would be a trainwreck.

I really liked Sunshine, but I know that there is no way that she would be picked as Sandy. I could see her as another character though. I forget the name; the mean girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2198297;
    OK, am I totally pathetic or what ?

I thought it was OK. I thought that Jim Jacobs was kind of mean.

No ... you are NOT pathetic !

I am totally biased --- and while I think the concept, and the choice of plays is great -- I too thought the show itself was just O.K. I didn't think Jim Jacobs was mean. Jim actually KNEW the actual people who he based these characters on when he and Warren wrote it. Authors are frequently disappointed when actors interpret characters differently than written. In this case, JJ is seeing the original person ... um ... I don't want to use the "B" word so I'll say ... corrupted.

If anything, the judging panel is missing the edge that Cowell gives AI and the frankly edgy humor the Dancing With the Stars panel provides.

I am totally disappointed with the Chicago turnout ! These people could have done some serious research by looking up the "originals" many of whom are still around as are their younger brothers and sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2198385;

And I'm glad to see they've shown more restraint than American Idol with showing "the bad auditions". A handful per show is enough.

I'm kind of split on whether they need to go in the direction of a "diverse" Danny and Sandy.

That said, there's absolutely no need for Sandy to look even remotely like Olivia Newton-John. It must be preconception which is leading so many blond girls to audition.

And of course a black Danny, or an Asian Sandy, or any of the other many possibilities would be okay in this day and age. Its a bit harder to see an old Danny or an overweight Sandy though, no matter how well they sing.

The Cupcake girl could indeed play either Rizzo or Frenchie, except they haven't constructed this thing to allow that possibility apparently.

I agree that a few bad auditions was enough. I think it will be harder to pick any favorites until the Final 12 are announced. The run of the show I think is only 8 weeks, 2 Audition shows, 5 weeks where 2 are eliminated each week and a Finale ?

The original people the characters were based upon, leaned toward being a mixture ... rather than a bunch of super pretty people. However, there was not much diversity per se in the Taft student body at that time. In any case, if the lead characters are not believable as high-school sweethearts in the 50's- 60's, the entire thrust and premise of the show is lost.
    Last edited by echo226; 01-08-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast