+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jim Jacobs - Judge

Jim Jacobs - Judge

When he was only 19-years-old, the quirky and imaginative Jim Jacobs co-wrote one of Broadway's most legendary shows... Grease! What started out as a typing lesson given to friend and co-author Warren Casey turned into a timeless American treasure filled with themes that resonate just as much today as they did in 1972. Being a blue-collar guy, Jim wants a "regular" American to win the coveted roles of Sandy and Danny, characters that he knows better than anyone else. After all, he created them.

I'm really excited he's gonna be a judge. It makes it feel more legit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2181704;
    When he was only 19-years-old, the quirky and imaginative Jim Jacobs co-wrote one of Broadway's most legendary shows... Grease! What started out as a typing lesson given to friend and co-author Warren Casey turned into a timeless American treasure filled with themes that resonate just as much today as they did in 1972. Being a blue-collar guy, Jim wants a "regular" American to win the coveted roles of Sandy and Danny, characters that he knows better than anyone else. After all, he created them.
    Actually, Jim Jacobs says the characters are "loosely" based on high school friends, but really they are closely modeled after people he actually knew and went to school with. The Pink Ladies, for example, were actually a girl's club at Taft High School in Chicago.

The play and movie are somewhat different but there are additional characters in the play who he hung with.

I can't wait !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I am glad to see he is a part of the show. But I am still not to thrilled with the concept. All-American average girls and boys try to make it on Broadway every year. He couldn't find any there?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs;2187655;
    I am glad to see he is a part of the show. But I am still not to thrilled with the concept. All-American average girls and boys try to make it on Broadway every year. He couldn't find any there?
    Yes but maybe by having the public participate and see what all the contestants have to go through and the public getting drawn into their backstory might entice the buying public to come see the Broadway show!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs;2187655;
    To me it seems an additional opportunity for those "All-American girls and boys". It also gives them exposure they would never, ever have in a traditional cattle-call audition for a stage production.

As bama says, we should get some insight into the process, and I suspect if we give it a chance we will all learn more about how things are done.

He and Warren wrote this when they were young about their high school experiences. It is said that we all have at least one "book" in us. Seeing what Jimmy Jacobs has done with his life "book" might even be a source of inspiration for some.

My perspective is, of course, from closer-up than yours and I'm really excited about it all. I truly hope the show is a screaming success and hope others will give it a chance.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread