+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV show to seek stars for Grease

TV show to seek stars for Grease

TV show to seek stars for Grease

Grease took a massive $340m worldwide on release in 1978

The format of BBC show How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? is to be used for a US show - with hopefuls auditioning for parts in the musical Grease.
    You're the One That We Want will see members of the public competing for the lead parts of Danny and Sandy.

The panel of judges giving their verdicts includes Jim Jacobs, the creator of Grease - although a public vote will eventually decide the winner.

The revival of the musical will hit Broadway theatres in June 2007.

Jacobs' co-judges will be director-choreographer Kathleen Marshall, who is at the helm of the show, and British theatre producer David Ian, a current judge on How Do you Solve a Problem Like Maria?

Dynamic duo

Set in a 1950s high school, Grease originally opened on Broadway in 1972.

It became iconic after being made into the 1978 film starring John Travolta as gang leader Danny and Olivia Newton-John as Sandy, the naive schoolgirl with whom he falls in love.

Judge David Ian is described as UK theatre's most powerful man
    The musical spawned a number of hits for the pair, including You're The One That I Want and Summer Nights, both number one hits.

"Americans have grown up with these catchy tunes and appealing characters, and we think they'll love the chance to select the next dynamic duo to play Sandy and Danny," said Craig Plestis, a spokesman for the NBC network which will broadcast the show.

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? confirmed its 10 finalists last Saturday.

The show, which has attracted more than five million viewers, has seen British hopefuls auditioning for the part of Maria von Trapp in Andrew Lloyd Webber's revival of The Sound of Music in London's West End.

You're The One That We Want will be produced by the BBC's commercial arm BBC Worldwide.

It is the latest in a string of UK shows that have been remade in the US.

Talent show Pop Idol successfully became American Idol, now in its sixth series, while comedy The Office was turned into The Office: An American Workplace, a sitcom now set for its third run.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4775183.stm

The Maria show has only been on for 2 weeks with the participants yet to sing for public support. Its a great show, I'm really enjoying it.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I saw a commercial for this the other day and wondered if there was a thread about it. I found some more info at the nbc site http://www.nbc.com/Grease/

Anyone plan to watch this? Grease has always been one of my favorite movies so this might be interesting.

Judges:

JIM JACOBS

When he was only 19-years-old, the quirky and imaginative Jim Jacobs co-wrote one of Broadway's most legendary shows... Grease! What started out as a typing lesson given to friend and co-author Warren Casey turned into a timeless American treasure filled with themes that resonate just as much today as they did in 1972. Being a blue-collar guy, Jim wants a "regular" American to win the coveted roles of Sandy and Danny, characters that he knows better than anyone else. After all, he created them.

DAVID IAN

From his humble beginnings in the town of Ilford, David Ian has become "the most powerful person in British theater" and knows that whoever takes on the famous roles for the 2007 production of Grease will need to have something special. As a theater producer, David's main concern is filling theater seats. He's placing his trust in the viewers to pick the best Sandy and Danny, and he'll use his hard-won expertise to get the best out of the finalists. And more then anyone, David has his life, reputation, and money on the line.

KATHLEEN MARSHALL

Kathleen Marshall has worked with some of the most talented performers to grace the Broadway stage. Her skill as a director and choreographer recently won her a Tony Award for the Broadway revival of "The Pajama Game" starring Harry Connick, Jr. Kathleen knows that the roles of Sandy and Danny require voices that can hit every note and moves that will make the crowd "lose control," but most of all, they must make the entire audience believe.

ETA: Maybe the mods can change the title of the thread to reflect the name of the show? "Grease: You're The One That I Want!"
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 11-30-2006 at 09:30 AM.

I think this could be interesting. I have always loved Grease but wonder if it could be better.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    i'm sure i'll tune in to see if it's a hit ... or a train wreck.

I think it is silly that there are so many talented actors and actresses on Broadway that we need a reality show to find a lead. Having said that, I will probably check it out and then call it a second-class American Idol and turn it off.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs;2173138;
    I think it is silly that there are so many talented actors and actresses on Broadway that we need a reality show to find a lead. Having said that, I will probably check it out and then call it a second-class American Idol and turn it off.
    american idol is EXACTLY what i was envisioning when i was watching the preview video on the site ... if it wasn't nbc, i would have sworn it was another simon cowell production. it just looks way too much like the AI process.

The Sound of Music search for a Maria has been a great success. Although it attracted criticism the winner Connie has been a great success. Rave reviews of the show and theatre award nominations.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Im not sure but I saw some clips of the contestants on Access Hollywood and I could've sworn one of the people I saw was Lisa Robin Kelly from That '70s Show.
    Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2173192;
    american idol is EXACTLY what i was envisioning when i was watching the preview video on the site ... if it wasn't nbc, i would have sworn it was another simon cowell production. it just looks way too much like the AI process.
    I was thinking it looked more like the reality show "Fame" that was on a while back since they will need singing, acting, and probably some dance ability. I will definitely be tuning in to see whether it is a winner or a disaster!

I'm so excited about this show.

I'm actually working for NBC and more specifically in efforts with this show right. Maybe I can help get you guys some inside information. There's more info and the theme show and a remix of audition try-outs on their myspace page. Since I'm new it won't let me post the link, but it's myspace(dot)com(slash)greaseon nbc
    Last edited by dotfan8154; 12-19-2006 at 03:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast