+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV show to seek stars for Grease

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2173192;
    american idol is EXACTLY what i was envisioning when i was watching the preview video on the site ... if it wasn't nbc, i would have sworn it was another simon cowell production. it just looks way too much like the AI process.
    Your wish is Simon's command.......

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104389.html

"American Idol" Judge Cowell to Launch U.K. Grease Reality Casting Show
    By Ernio Hernandez
    21 Dec 2006

With NBC's "Grease: You're The One That I Want weeks away from its debut, "American Idol" producer Simon Cowell has announced he will similarly cast the leads for a West End production of that fifties-friendly musical.

Cowell's production company, Syco TV, will co-produce the show slated to air on ITV. The stage production is scheduled to hit the West End in summer 2007.

The news comes one day after Andrew Lloyd Webber announced his plans for a follow-up to BBC's "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? which cast the leads for a London run of The Sound of Music with "Any Dream Will Do," which will cast his Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat revival.

Producer David Ian who will appear as a judge on Grease: You're The One That I Want has also been lined up to appear as the lead judge on the new ITV show. The impresario will also produce the stage show with Paul Nicholas and TalkbackThames.

ITV and Cowell secured the stage rights for Grease for a London West End run. The show will witness auditioners competing for the leads of Sandy and Danny in the forthcoming production.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    hahaha!! that's funny ...

I can't wait for this show to begin ! I wish they were casting the entire play and not just the leads.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I registered for tickets and I am on the waiting list. They said that all the shows are full at the moment.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

[QUOTE=echo226;2185842;]I can't wait for this show to begin ! I wish they were casting the entire play and not just the leads. [/QUO

They will probably use established talent to boost the credibility of the play. They need someone there who will know what they are doing.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2161994;
    Anyone plan to watch this? Grease has always been one of my favorite movies so this might be interesting.
    Me! Me! Since I love all musicals, and plays in general, I'm really looking forward to this show. Knowing that I'll be joined by at least a few of you lovely people, makes it an even sweeter prospect. Thanks for the info everyone.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I can't wait for this show to start either, so I'll be here too!
    I love musicals. I wish I could have seen the How do you solve a problem like Maria! Sound of Music is one of my favorites!

I don't think there will be a creditibility issue with the show, as I'm sure there will be lots of broadway hopefuls trying out. I actually just watched a show on Much Music the other day about Kelly Clarkson, I think it was called Borned to Be.
    Anyways, it did make me think differently of the American Idol type talent shows. I hope the people that make it to the top 12, are people that have been trying to get onto Broadway for years and this will be a break for them.
    ---------------------
    opps....

Yeah, I think that if this is anything like "How do you solve a problem like Maria" that the credibility will not be an issue, all of the finalists on that show were great vocalists, some better suited to play the part of Maria than others... I live in the states, but found clips of "Maria" online. and it was fantastic! I think the biggest issue here will be people not being able to seperate who is right for the role, with who their favorite is... if that makes sense at all. American Idol, it's just about your favorite singer, performer etc... If they win, they will make a CD of music that suits them, whereas on THIS show they are casting for specific leads, so your favorite perhaps just wont be as well suited to play Sandra or (Danny?) ... should make things interesting
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

BURBANK January 2, 2007- Olivia Newton-John, multi Grammy Award-winner and beloved star of the hit movie musical "Grease," is set to guest star in the first two episodes of NBC's upcoming talent competition series "Grease: You're the One that I Want," premiering Sunday, January 7 (8-9:30 p.m. ET), where America will choose the next "Sandy" and "Danny" to star in the Broadway revival of the hit musical. Newton-John will provide her words of wisdom and advice on what it takes to fill the lead roles.

In 1978, Newton-John's co-starring role with John Travolta in "Grease" catapulted her into super-stardom. The film went on to become the most successful movie musical of all time and the movie's soundtrack became the most successful movie musical soundtrack in history, featuring the duets "You're The One That I Want" and "Summer Nights," with Travolta, as well as Newton-John's mega-hit, "Hopelessly Devoted To You." The film was re-released worldwide in 1998 in celebration of its 20th anniversary to even more acclaim, a true testament to the film's timeless quality.

Prior to her break-out role in "Grease," Newton-John's 1973 U.S. album debut, "Let Me Be There," produced her first top ten single of the same name, with her being honored by the Academy Of Country Music as Most Promising Female Vocalist and a Grammy Award as Best Country Vocalist. This proved to be only the beginning of a very exciting career. Her countless successes include three more Grammy's, numerous Country Music Awards, American Music Awards and Peoples Choice Awards, five #1 hits including "Physical," which topped the charts for ten consecutive weeks, and 15 top 10 singles.

Newton-John's other film credits include "Xanadu," "Two Of A Kind," "It's My Party," and "Sordid Lives." She followed that success by co-starring with her daughter, Chloe, in the Showtime movie, "The Wilde Girls." Clearly following in her mother's footsteps, Chloe has recently signed her first record label contract. Newton-John's latest recording, "Grace and Gratitude," a CD for relaxation to promote spiritual balance and physical and emotional healing, was released in September 2006 and coincided with the launch of Newton-John's signature line of body, heart and spirit wellness products for women.

In "Grease: You're the One That I Want," America will choose the two leads for a new Broadway production of "Grease," which opens on Broadway in July 2007 and will be directed and choreographed by two-time Tony Award-winner Kathleen Marshall ("The Pajama Game"). Marshall also will be a judge on the TV series along with Jim Jacobs, the co-creator of "Grease" and renowned theater producer David Ian. Billy Bush ("Access Hollywood") and Denise Van Outen (Broadway's "Chicago") serve as host and co-host.

In the first two weeks of "Grease: You're The One That I Want," (January 7 and 14), viewers will go behind the scenes of the nationwide casting search where hopefuls from all across America strut their stuff in front of the panel of judges. In the third episode (January 21), the top performers from the nationwide search are flown to Los Angeles for "Grease Academy," where they are trained by Marshall and professional acting, dance and vocal coaches to refine their skills. The top 12 contestants from Grease Academy will then perform each week in six live episodes, starting January 28, with America eliminating two contestants each night, ultimately deciding the two winners who will take on the lead roles on Broadway.

"Grease: You're the One That I Want" is produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. Al Edgington ("Last Comic Standing," "The Amazing Race"), Lou Stroller ("Tomb Raider," "The Rock," "Scarface") and Paul Telegdy, Senior Vice President, Programming and Production, BBC Worldwide, are the executive producers; Suzy Lamb ("BBC UK's "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?") is co-executive producer.
    Link

This is going to be a novel concept--they are going for talent, rather than looks. But, will the voting audience agree?

The ones 'Grease' didn't want
    January 6, 2007
    BY MIRIAM DI NUNZIO Staff Reporter

Do you have chills? Are they multiplyin'? Are you losin' control?

Then you should have auditioned for the new reality show "Grease: You're the One That I Want," debuting at 7 p.m. Sunday on WMAQ-Channel 5, and put all that singing, dancing and acting to good use.

That's precisely what hundreds of local actors, dancers, housewives, teachers, students and others did in October when the NBC show's judges came to town looking for the next Broadway-bound Sandy and Danny.

One of the judges, Jim Jacobs, was the musical's co-writer. He and a high school buddy, the late Warren Casey, based "Grease" on their teen years at Taft High School on the Northwest Side, and he was excited about holding auditions in the town where it all began.

But Chicago let him down.

"I was looking for a good Polish-Italian kid from the Northwest Side," Jacobs said Friday, referring to his ideal Chicago Danny. "And a girl who went to Resurrection [High School] or Immaculata [High School] for Sandy. I wanted real neighborhood kids at the Chicago auditions. We really didn't get 'em. Over all, I was really disappointed. And I don't think I would have felt that way had there been more [pre-event] publicity about the auditions. There was just no real buzz in Chicago, not compared to Los Angeles and New York."

Portage found lacking

He wasn't all that thrilled, either, by the audition site, the 86-year-old Portage Theater on Milwaukee Avenue.

"Why they chose the Portage Theater is beyond me. I grew up in that neighborhood, don't get me wrong. I took my first date to a movie back in the '60s to the Portage. But I really wanted someplace downtown, like the Chicago Theatre or Navy Pier, where we would just get thousands of kids, all kinds of kids to show up. They insisted the Portage looked vintage 1950s, but I just don't think it was the right location for this.

"In the end, we walked away with only eight kids from Chicago, which is really disappointing when you realize we picked 26 in Los Angeles and 23 in New York."

Long shelf life
    Seems the "Grease" phenomenon is still going strong more than 30 years after it debuted on Broadway. Jacobs said Casey summed it all up quite succinctly some years back. "Warren used to always say that 'Grease' was like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going," Jacobs said with a laugh.

Though "Grease" was a huge success on Broadway, most people fell in love with the musical via the 1978 film that starred Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta as the Rydell High School sweethearts -- Sandy the virginal cheerleader and Danny Zucko the greaser.

The reality show brings the musical into the 21st century by asking America to choose the actors who will play Sandy and Danny in a Broadway production set to hit the boards later this year.

Much like "American Idol," "You're the One That I Want" begins with taped auditions of Danny and Sandy wannabes from the open calls in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Contestants then faced the show's panel of judges, including Jacobs, Tony-winning director-choreographer Kathleen Marshall and British stage impresario David Ian.

In the end, 57 finalists were chosen and sent to "Grease Camp" in Pasadena, Calif., where they will be put through the paces (it takes a lot of hard work to become a Pink Lady or a T-Bird) and narrowed to 12 finalists.

Some stage producers and directors have scoffed at "You're the One That I Want," but there is precedent for such a talent search. In England, Ian was the producer behind the BBC reality show "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria," which searched England for the next Maria in the London Palladium production of "The Sound of Music."

"They got a lot of criticism over there with their show, but I think it was all sour grapes," Jacobs said. "When that show hit the BBC, the pre-sale tickets for 'Sound of Music' went through the roof."

Talent wins out
    Jacobs said viewers need to understand that the show's winner must have the chops to make it on Broadway, eight shows a week, six nights a week. That means talent trumps pretty much everything, including looks.

"We want the best dancer-actor-singer," he said. "If the best Sandy is a brunet, will put a blond wig on her. The very first Broadway 'Sandy' was a brunet actress. If Danny's hair isn't dark enough, we'll adjust that too. I'm looking for a guy and girl who can dance and sing their hearts out and be strong actors on top of all that. I'm looking for a girl who oozes sweetness and a guy who is a macho greaser. This show isn't about finding someone who looks like Olivia and John. I really hope people understand that when they're voting."

Here's hoping America doesn't disappoint Jacobs, too.
    Link

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast